iBasso DX220Max ****************** New FW! 1.01 for download! 1st Page.
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #2,795 of 3,626
Hi guys
I just got the DX220 max and am struggling with connecting it as DAC to MacBook Pro 2019 with Catalina 10.15.7
I have the latest firmware installed and whenever I switch to DAC the device is not showing up
On my wife's older Macbook Air with older MAC OS High Sierra it's showing up but having bad crackling noise when songs are switched and also noise crackling in between, even worse with Camera Connection Kit on my IPAD pro 2018, either dx220 is not showing up or you have unbearable crackling noise when listening, on my iPhone 11 pro it's all fine and dead silent.
Have ordered some alternative USB C adapters and cable from Amazon but am really turned off with this experience right from the start.
My old ifi micro idsd has never had issues, no matter which source...

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #2,796 of 3,626
Different players or devices have different ways to connect to a PC.

IFI products are typical 2.0 with common USB connections. The Max is USB type C, which is a little complicated

Now, if using the Max as an External DAC, you need correct drivers for windows. I don’t know about the Mac. But I do use IPad Pro 2nd Gen and IPhone 11 Pro to Max as External DAC. I need a Camera Kit, a (good) USB type C cables and using Mango player >>> setting >>> advanced mode >>> DAC and I have no crackling sounds. Just beautiful performances
Typically when using Max as External DAC, the only time it has crackling sounds is caused by bad usb cables.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,797 of 3,626
Different players or devices have different ways to connect to a PC.

IFI products are typical 2.0 with common USB connections. The Max is USB type C, which is a little complicated

Now, if using the Max as an External DAC, you need correct drivers for windows. I don’t know about the Mac. But I do use IPad Pro 2nd Gen and IPhone 11 Pro to Max as External DAC. I need a Camera Kit, a (good) USB type C cables and using Mango player >>> setting >>> advanced mode >>> DAC and I have no crackling sounds. Just beautiful performances
Typically when using Max as External DAC, the only time it has crackling sounds is caused by bad usb cables.
Thx for the response!
The joke is you get an expensive device with a stock cable that has bad quality?
How comes the same stock cable is dead silent on IPhone 11 pro with Camera Connection Kit and noisy against ipad pro 2018 10,5 inch and Macbook Pro 2018 with original apple USB-C adapter?
I rather suspect different voltages on the different devices and the Ibasso not adjusting this.
On plus I suspect that the head phone out is not shielded against internal noise like circuits shutting down etc which is realizable even in stand alone mode when you stop playing music and after some time you hear a bad crackling noise for some circuit shutting down (as I assume) to save power.
Maybe I am also a bit spoilt with former gear being extremely silent with noise popping filter circuits etc (reference is RME ADI-2 DAC).
I am expecting a 25 Dollar IFI USB-C low noise cable tomorrow, I will report if it will bring any change.

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #2,798 of 3,626
The clicking noises is from transistors switching on and off when device is on or off. It also switches on output ports as well. There are no mechanical relays in the player.
Try another camera kit ? It is dead quiet on my iPad Pro and the Moon silver Dragon usb C. My stock cables has no problems at all with IPad Pro. So I am afraid the problems is not from the player (design) or the stock cables

Every devices will have noises on switching, given that it is transistors based or relays.
46F2BA55-DBCE-430C-BD8B-DCF62A43CEE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #2,799 of 3,626
The clicking noises is from transistors switching on and off when device is on or off. It also switches on output ports as well. There are no mechanical relays in the player.
Try another camera kit ? It is dead quiet on my iPad Pro and the Moon silver Dragon usb C. My stock cables has no problems at all with IPad Pro. So I am afraid the problems is not from the player (design) or the stock cables

Every devices will have noises on switching, given that it is transistors based or relays.
Same camera kit on 11 pro and IPAD Pro
- 11 pro: silent
- IPAD pro: noisy
2 different alternative dacs running against these same devices without issues.
And now again: how can this be not related to the Ibasso?

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #2,800 of 3,626
Same camera kit on 11 pro and IPAD Pro
- 11 pro: silent
- IPAD pro: noisy
2 different alternative dacs running against these same devices without issues.
And now again: how can this be not related to the Ibasso?
Because I can’t replicate what you are experiencing
I also have IPhone 11 Pro and IPad Pro and using the same thing you are doing. But as a user, you can blame it on anyone faults. I am just trying to help. Good luck finding a solutions

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,803 of 3,626
Because I can’t replicate what you are experiencing
I also have IPhone 11 Pro and IPad Pro and using the same thing you are doing. But as a user, you can blame it on anyone faults. I am just trying to help. Good luck finding a solutions
Sorry, I didn't mean to annoy you, am really thankful for your response. Please understand, I spent a fortune on this device and sold old gear in order to afford it.
Once I get a noise free setup this thing is a dream of sound signature, detail without being too boring, ideal match for my new Denon_AH-D9200.
Have even ordered new balanced cables for it.
When you then encounter such unexpected issues it's of course a disappointment.
This device was meant to be my one and only setup for office and bedroom, living room usage.
So expectations were high.
As I have never encountered these specific issues before with other devices I got disappointed.
Still this is the best sounding dsc/amp I have owned so far for my taste

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,805 of 3,626
Some feature USB3.0 inputs, but these are backwards compatible with 2.0.
Thx, I will report if the IFI cable will solve it 😉
Now talking about IFI I think I have heard of some "purifier" solutions to be put in the middle of USB connections.
Though this would be quite an effort and am not sure if this will work in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back