iBasso DX220 battery life issues?
Jul 8, 2019 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Steve B.

New Head-Fier
Anyone else have an iBasso DX220 that is finding the battery life really short? I love this unit - powerful, great UI, great screen, and best of all it sounds fantastic. However, I am disappointed in the battery life. I am getting 5 hours max on a full charge. Maybe with it big ass beautiful screen and parametic equalizer use that is all I should expect? Are you getting a longer battery life? I am torn what to do I am still within the return window but other than battery I love this thing!

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 44
Depends - offline tidal I’m getting a bit more, around 6-7 hours. But the type of file you play and the amp you’ve got connected and the phones you’re driving are likely to be big factors too.

For the package you get in terms of sound quality and different amping options I’m willing to put up with the short battery life. Would I prefer 16 hours? Sure. Is it a real problem? I don’t listen for 5 hours per day, and it is quick charge compatible if you need to top it up...

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 44
Anyone else have an iBasso DX220 that is finding the battery life really short? I love this unit - powerful, great UI, great screen, and best of all it sounds fantastic. However, I am disappointed in the battery life. I am getting 5 hours max on a full charge. Maybe with it big ass beautiful screen and parametic equalizer use that is all I should expect? Are you getting a longer battery life? I am torn what to do I am still within the return window but other than battery I love this thing!

Here's what i got. All FLAC Files played This is the 3rd monitored chart, 1 x android, 2 x pure dap mango os. On android, it's longer, 6 hrs +...

upload_2019-7-14_12-18-58.png

Jul 14, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 44
Depends - offline tidal I’m getting a bit more, around 6-7 hours. But the type of file you play and the amp you’ve got connected and the phones you’re driving are likely to be big factors too.

For the package you get in terms of sound quality and different amping options I’m willing to put up with the short battery life. Would I prefer 16 hours? Sure. Is it a real problem? I don’t listen for 5 hours per day, and it is quick charge compatible if you need to top it up...

I'd +1 w/ @mattiav re: daily usage. 5 hours / day of ultra High quality portable Audio "Desktop sounding on the go" is enough for my daily dosage.

upload_2019-7-14_12-29-43.png

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 44
Mine is the same. Sounds great though. Could always buy a portable battery pack for it

Aug 8, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 44
Hello, is it normal that my dx220 battery drain from 75% to 49% after 1 hour of music? I’m using Mango player + amp8 at medium gain.

Aug 8, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 44
How long your battery last depends on the OS (Android/Mango), Gain Setting, File formats played how often the display was on and of course the IEM load and sound level.
And yes, the DX220 needs a lot of energy, this is the price for the outstanding sound quality.
They implemented the desktop version ES9028 Pro and not the mobile version ES9028Q2M which consumes more power.

I havn't measured the running time, because it didn't affect me when its only a few couple of hours.
Usually i don't listen that long on the go and the audio quality is worth the price of the relative short battery life in my opinion

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 44
How long your battery last depends on the OS (Android/Mango), Gain Setting, File formats played how often the display was on and of course the IEM load and sound level.
And yes, the DX220 needs a lot of energy, this is the price for the outstanding sound quality.
They implemented the desktop version ES9028 Pro and not the mobile version ES9028Q2M which consumes more power.

I havn't measured the running time, because it didn't affect me when its only a few couple of hours.
Usually i don't listen that long on the go and the audio quality is worth the price of the relative short battery life in my opinion

I am using mango player and was listening to dsd and flac. Paired it with xelento. the brightness of my screen is at the lowest. I was worried as most of the user has 5 to 5.5 hours of battery life.

Btw, do u switch off ur dap after listening to it?

Aug 8, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 44
I am using mango player and was listening to dsd and flac. Paired it with xelento. the brightness of my screen is at the lowest. I was worried as most of the user has 5 to 5.5 hours of battery life.

Btw, do u switch off ur dap after listening to it?

Yes, i do switch it off after listening.
Call me old school :wink:

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #12 of 44
Any reports of how long folks are getting with amp7 and DX220? I doubt folks are seeing the 7.5 hours this module advertises. A side note, I certainly can get 7.5 hours from DX150 when using amp 7.

Also, anyone know how easily it is for a battery replacement? Short battery life leads to more charging cycles and thus less battery longevity. IE, if you get 6 hours now, then in a year due to battery cycling, that'll likely drop to 5 hours. In this event, I'd simply get the battery replaced, but not sure how that's being done.

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 44
Any reports of how long folks are getting with amp7 and DX220? I doubt folks are seeing the 7.5 hours this module advertises. A side note, I certainly can get 7.5 hours from DX150 when using amp 7.

Also, anyone know how easily it is for a battery replacement? Short battery life leads to more charging cycles and thus less battery longevity. IE, if you get 6 hours now, then in a year due to battery cycling, that'll likely drop to 5 hours. In this event, I'd simply get the battery replaced, but not sure how that's being done.

Hello, mine has 4-5 hours of battery with the pair of amp8 + dx220. Played at vol of 10-15 with medium gain.

But I do have a question on the battery as well. Is it normal that my battery drops to 40% when I turn off and gain back to 43% when I turned it on? Is that a software bug or battery issue? Hi

The battery replacement is relatively easy. All you need is a screwdriver. Upon ordering battery replacement, @Paul - iBasso will send a video on how to Open the dx220 and replace the battery.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #14 of 44
The official battery life declaration sounds for me like the official fuel consumption of cars.
The can only be achieved under ideal circumstances and will almost never be reached in real life.
Would be interesting to know the circumstances that are the basis for this statement.
I assume at least the sound level has to be very low that you never will listen to this level in real life.
But I wish i would be wrong here. :wink:

Aug 14, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 44
The battery is terrible on this dap due to a CPU that is not good enough for the screen. The screen is lovely on it but the lagging and battery life is really bad on it. Buy a m11 or n6ii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back