iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** New Firmware: 1.05 ***
Aug 1, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #121 of 1,624
I love everything about this DAP except where iBasso likes to put the USB-C port on their DAPs. WHY on top?!? So stupid. :angry:

I think it's a common design of their DAPs, keeping usb-c at the top because of the modular design of dx150/200/220/240/300/320 where modules with headphones/LO jacks slide out from the bottom. So, they are keeping dx160/170 consistent with those. Again, just my speculation :)

Aug 1, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #123 of 1,624
please report on streaming with qobuz. very interested in whether there are any drop outs or lags. thanks.

I just installed and tested Tidal, Qobuz, and Amazon Music HD. Well, first thing first. It comes preinstalled with APKPure app and some other app in Chinese. So, the first step is to install Google Play Store from APKPure. Then, use Google Plays store to install your favorite streaming apps.

After that was done, I tried all 3 apps and found them... damn laggy. I was surprised because Mango app is super fast with playback of local files, and running SpeedTest showed download/upload speed on DX170 which is faster than my Galaxy S22, for real. Then, I realized, we only got 2GB of RAM which going to take a toll on multitasking. I uninstalled that dreadful APKPure since I don't need it anymore, and also uninstalled that other app in Chinese. Went into Developers mode and disabled all animations. And lo and behold, we are back in business! A lot faster response of streaming apps and scrolling through playlists, noticeably faster because I don't have APKPure running in the background.

So, for those who are getting DX170, once Google Play Store is installed, optimize the DAP by uninstalling APKPure, you don't need it to eat into your 2GB of RAM resources. For local playback or running/streaming one app at a time, the response of DX170 interface is quite adequate. Don't expect the performance of DX240 or DX320 or your high end smartphone. But other than that, it is much better after I uninstalled APKPure.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #125 of 1,624
awesome. thanks. definitely had concerns about stuttering playback given 2GB of RAM.

Just thinking out-loud, if iBasso going to throw in 660 into DX170 and double the RAM, I think many will skip DX240 :wink: So, we have to be realistic and look at it from a perspective of entry level DX170, mid-fi DX240, and summit-fi DX320. But with all that said, the audio performance of DX170 is far from entry level! I think dongles like their own DC06 bundled with your smartphone are your new "entry" level audio players. DX170, just like DX160, offers a great price/performance ratio for standalone DAP.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #126 of 1,624
Just thinking out-loud, if iBasso going to throw in 660 into DX170 and double the RAM, I think many will skip DX240 :wink: So, we have to be realistic and look at it from a perspective of entry level DX170, mid-fi DX240, and summit-fi DX320. But with all that said, the audio performance of DX170 is far from entry level! I think dongles like their own DC06 bundled with your smartphone are your new "entry" level audio players. DX170, just like DX160, offers a great price/performance ratio for standalone DAP.
Also I expect the DX170 would then cost more as well. Frankly I am very surprised, well maybe not to much but happy with the sound.

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #127 of 1,624
Duly noted, I will stop talking about 449 USD (11 000 CZK) DX170, which btw I noticed already available on Bloom Audio for pre-order, and will switch to a discussion of half of dozen of other 3 USD (72 CZK).5k-$4k DAPs :p
Damage done, I already placed the order. :triumph:

Aug 1, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #129 of 1,624
That's relative to the tuning of your headphones and your ear sensitivity to lower treble peaks. In this particular pair up case, the source shouldn't contribute to any extra peaks in lower treble to exaggerate sibilance. iBasso daps, including DX170, come with a very powerful graphic and parametric EQ. PEQ will be your friend to narrow down to that specific 6k or 7k peak or anything in between, including controlling the bandwidth of the parametric EQ band, so you can attenuate down the peak which causing the sibilance. Shouldn't be an issue with DX170.
Fine, I'll find it out myself when the DAP delivered 😝

One of my main reason for the interest in the new DAP is Android 11 it allows us to have the new poweramp system wide PEQ. Although I did try to connect through USB DAC mode and use apo/peace. It helps clearly but I did not like how it alter other aspect of the sounds around these regions. I'm not knowledable about eq to do it properly. I will try again with the 170 and ask for your help later with the EQ if you have time. Thanks!

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #130 of 1,624
Got the DX170 in yesterday and spent some time with it today. As my good bud @twister6 pointed out, even though DX170 scores way better than DX160 in Benchmark tests, the DAP is still a bit laggy stock, especially with streaming apps like Apple Music and with APKPure running all the time in the background. You will need to tweak some settings to get it working its best. Definitely install GPS, then delete APKPure and switch off animations. You can switch off the animations from Accessibility -> Remove Animations too without having to activate and go into Developer Options. Just by doing this, streaming apps as well as the Mango Player run much smoother. Still, I wish iBasso had gone the Snapdragon route if not put in more more RAM. That would've been a grand hit out of the park!

Sound wise, I'm quite impressed with it right out of the box! It definitely refines and furthers DX160's excellent signature, with DX170 coming off more resolving, richer yet smoother, with a more holographic and enriching soundstage that gives a better sense of the soundscape of the song in comparison to its predecessor. I've tried it with Softears RS10 and RSV, Moondrop S8, A8 and the newly arrived Aria Snow edition as well as CustomArt F7U and I find it pairing really well with all these IEMs. I was particularly impressed with its pairing with the Aria Snow Edition, which definitely gave an illusion of a more expensive combo than the actual sum of their prices.

Will post more sound impressions with comparisons to DX160 with specific IEMs once I've used it a bit more. Till then, here's a shot of a great record on the DX170. If you haven't checked out James Bay's new record 'LEAP' yet, I highly suggest you do!

iBasso DX170.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #132 of 1,624
way easier when you use it as dac amp on pc for me, so the screen can stay on the proper side, i had fiio m17 and the screen was always inverted pretty much anoyying if you ask me
Yes, on the top is way better. Also if you connect to a Desktop Amp (which usually have their connections on their back).

USB-C either on top or on the side. Not on the bottom, bottom sucks

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #133 of 1,624
I love everything about this DAP except where iBasso likes to put the USB-C port on their DAPs. WHY on top?!? So stupid. :angry:
Putting USB-C port at the bottom sounds so stupid to me. But personally I wouldn't say that, there are use case for both but for most cases the port at the top is more intuitive

Aug 2, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #135 of 1,624
Putting USB-C port at the bottom sounds so stupid to me. But personally I wouldn't say that, there are use case for both but for most cases the port at the top is more intuitive
For most uses, top makes sense, but I will say for use in my car, I would appreciate if the USB-C and 3.5mm outputs were on the same side (top or bottom) so that I could have easier cable organization. As it is I have the cables held together with velcro ties so that there isn't a lot of excess floating around when the DAP is plugged in.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back