iBasso DX170 You want your Music? It is right here. *** New Firmware: 1.05 ***
Jul 14, 2022 at 1:20 AM Post #32 of 1,602
Oh, wow!

A worthy replacement for the already successful DX160! Awesome!

Jul 14, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #34 of 1,602
You guys are funny. Its a "pocket friendly" DAP, totally designed for portable use, probably better with IEM's and less power hungry heaphones and the first thing that everyone worries about is power.

6mq90a.jpg

:)

Jul 14, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #36 of 1,602
I should say usually when they don't show power in mw or watts it usually means it's low.
That would also be my take, based on what I learned with the Kann Alpha POS, but my DX160 appears very powerful (drives very decently my Arya V2) so probably it will also be the case of this one. I hope it improves the battery life....

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #37 of 1,602
I used dx160 for two years and I'd like to point out a few things.

When it comes output power, I don't think it's going to disappoint you when you look at what you get from dx160.

2gb ram and 32gb storage again? Well you won't use this device as your classic android smartphone but come on. I'd expect a little higher to give some room.

Some users mentioned that cpu is comparable with SD 425. Well very important thing for you to notice is how energy efficient it is. SD processors are very good at this. Dx160 was suffering from its cpu. Just leave it alone with no use and it drops by 15-20% in one day. Plus the terrible runtime was really annoying.

Some mentioned that it's very portable so the less battery capacity should be ignored. Well, I don't agree with this. If you worry about charging all the time, it's not a good experience in the long term. The battery will get old also during charging recharging cycles. Even if you try to protect the battery by keeping it between 20-80%. That's what I did with dx160. Eventually, I switched to m11 plus ess and it's amazing with how long it can perform either during playtime or standy.

Another thing to mention, I wonder what kind of screen they used. Dx160 was suffering from high brightness. The screen to body ratio was really good and it looks gorgeous but if it can't go darker even limited by the hardware, then it's also another problem.

More or less, I'd expect that it will perform really well if you focus on the audio experience. However, it's a question mark when it comes whole user experience with the device. Would be better slightly higher price and slightly better specs...

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #38 of 1,602
Having this nice pocket sized, very capable DAP for over 2 years. Very happy with the sound quality of the DX160. It really makes all my hps and iems sing.
Definitely looking a future offering from Ibasso with similar size but a much better processor, ram to run higher android with way improved responsiveness.
The color looks much better in person for sure. Best shade of blue for me.
NOOOOOO, this is exactly what I wished but I already spent the money elsewhere from the time I wrote it. Feel bad man :'(

Jul 14, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #40 of 1,602
Is it true it uses old dac which sounds very neutral and dry

Jul 14, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #42 of 1,602
You guys are funny. Its a "pocket friendly" DAP, totally designed for portable use, probably better with IEM's and less power hungry heaphones and the first thing that everyone worries about is power.

6mq90a.jpg

:)
I don't think "everyone" has asked what the output power is, but I'm asking what the output is in mW. I know it's given in Volts earlier in the thread, but I don't really have a frame of reference when measuring in Volts, hence the question. I'm still a noob in that sense.

Jul 14, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #43 of 1,602
Jul 14, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #44 of 1,602
What is that in mw?
Likely around 900mw@32ohms balanced as I can't imagine a current iBasso having a high output impedance.

The compromises here have to do with size vs battery vs power vs processor efficiency. That's a lot of power for something that size. Likely an efficient amp design and a newer 22nm processor will help with that as well. There has to be compromises in something this size and price but here, they seem well worked out. You'll know once reviews come out and we get battery life and snappiness reports.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #45 of 1,602
I don't want to curb everyones enthusiasm, but to me it doesn't sound like a big upgrade over the dx160. At least not for my use case. I don't use wifi/bluetooth, always on airplane mode. Always use power on/off and not standby.
  • Playtime around 11 hours. That's about the same as the dx160 (originally). Ok it's annoyingly short, but I don't read an improvement here.
  • Speed: Startup time dx160 is rather long, so there could possibly be some gains. No complaints however in the user-interface: it is quick and snappy enough.
  • Powerspecs are the same
  • The price is about the same
  • Android11: If you don't use wifi or apps, but just use it as a player, the old android (don't even know what dx160 is using :) ) is just fine.
  • Sound: (THE most important spec): unknown, but I guess very close to dx160?
Last December I bought the last DX160 in the world (or so I think. AdvancedMP3players was out-of-stock and dx160 out-of-production, but they emailed me they would receive a return in the coming weeks and if I was still interested.) and was astounded this device was out of production. So it's great to see the DX170 coming out, but it sounds more like a dx160-2022-version. YMMV.
If they would add a (very small) blue power led somewhere, now THAT would be a great improvement. Sometimes I forget to turn it off and without any visual clues it just keeps playing on my kitchen table until the already small battery is empty.

Anyway, I am happy to see the dx170 coming out, whatever the naming convention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back