iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 16, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #526 of 6,983
I have very strong reservations for rhodium plugs. Rhodium is much, much harder than gold I think it will wear down the socket in the long run. if you have some highly used headphones you know the gold plating can be wore out and if you use rhodium plugs it will be the same but inside the socket. It is much easier to change the plug or the whole cable than the whole socket in a expensive device which is soldered to the mainboard.
You are right... in 15 years and about 180000 pulls and inserts, the socket may need changing.

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #527 of 6,983
Hello, great thanks to all of you for your feedback. @Whitigir I saw your posts in the Onkyo dp-x1 thread and read them all:) @twister6 thank you very much for your willingness of testing the ak120II. @mwhals will definitely consider:) 300R is nothing magical from SE, actually maybe just a bit better than 100R and I agree, its kinda flat and lacking dynamics (still nice soundstage and v good detail tho). The story changes from BAL in ACG mode which improves the sound noticeably- its a different dap, sounds life-like. Thats why was asking if anyone here tested it or Onkyo dp-x1 recently. I am very tempted to get dx160 but there is no possibillity for me to test it here in Germany. At last will order from Amazon when available and give back if will not be a definite step up from my 300r. Have a nice day all.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #532 of 6,983
Cayin n6-2, Hiby r6/r6 pro, Hiby r5, shanling m6, fiio m11/m11 pro, incoming hiby 8

Maybe I could be wrong, I'm not a pro audiophile, I don't see the problem about SoC, I think that most important thing is the sound and iBasso is a trusted company. When DAP's interface runs smoothly and the sound is great is enough to me.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #534 of 6,983
Maybe I could be wrong, I'm not a pro audiophile, I don't see the problem about SoC, I think that most important thing is the sound and iBasso is a trusted company. When DAP's interface runs smoothly and the sound is great is enough to me.
I would totally agree and on the DX160, the sound is superb and the speed, which I care less about, is extremely fast as well.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #535 of 6,983
fair enough - i was just interested in what DAP's SoC doesn't raise objections, given that the DX160's does (with those who care about these things)

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #536 of 6,983
If you truly cared about user experience, you would have used a better soc at this point, instead of the same one in all products, from budget to 2k.
WORD!!!

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #538 of 6,983
There is a video of the user experience on this thread. The DX160 seems far from slow. By next week I will have the DX160 and will talk from experience. If there are complaints about the user experience I do hope they're from the actual experience of users, and not just words from numbers men.

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #539 of 6,983
I have the DX160 now. And I can officially confirm that it is gorgeous :p
20191007_150325.jpg 20191007_150611.jpg
So far, it seems like a ridiculously good and complete DAP at a highly competitive price point.

Full review to follow by next week hopefully, but I'm seriously impressed so far.
I cannot speak to the SoC factor. I guess with such things, the skill with which it is implemented is also a factor.
Suffice to say, I am not experiencing any lag, only a fast and responsive UI.

Not sure what else to say. Speculation is fun and all, but I'm confident that pretty much anyone who tries one of these for themselves over the next few months is not going to find anything to fault regarding its speed or responsiveness :)

Oct 16, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #540 of 6,983
The Line-Out on the Dx160 is quiet capable. Superbly detailed, great dynamic, super low noises and 0 distortions, just like any high quality Line-Out source should be. The unmistakeable spherical and enveloping soundstage is quiet satisfying. Once again, I stick to my statement about dx160 “it doesn’t sound like $399!”

with a good amplifier, Dx160-LO can really perform. It demonstrates the ability to render some of that warmth , fun, musical timbres in a more satisfying way, with some analog quality in its signature.

the Dx160 as a whole package is too good for it price.

*the LO can be selected on the dropped down menu*, it is also a variable lineout
00C32AA4-8367-460A-AB88-AB8B8DEE201D.jpeg

Also, I love compact design on the adapter....but I have a thing or 2 about Ribbon cables.....I rather has a dongles that have high quality wires instead lol

but actually, I prefer a whole cables by itself !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back