iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 14, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,561 of 6,983
"The iBasso DX160 supports two-way Bluetooth 5.0 audio transmission and has native LDAC and Aptx support, which means that you can send and receive your audio from/to external devices like Headphones/Speakers/Phones/Tablets etc."

That's from the review. I actually bought my DX160 on the basis of some other reviews on this thread. If receiving a free DX160 for review makes a reviewer sloppy enough not to test and report on the Bluetooth then I reckon Paul has not got the right reviewers. Some of us spent our "real" money on this DAP and expected the reviewers to at least check the Bluetooth. If it's beneath the 'purists' to even check the Bluetooth that is not good and you are letting us and iBasso down. Fine if you did check it and the DX160's BT worked well. For those reviewers who did not test the BT then the question is...why did you not do what you should have done?
"The iBasso DX160 supports two-way Bluetooth 5.0 audio transmission and has native LDAC and Aptx support, which means that you can send and receive your audio from/to external devices like Headphones/Speakers/Phones/Tablets etc."

That's from the review. I actually bought my DX160 on the basis of some other reviews on this thread. If receiving a free DX160 for review makes a reviewer sloppy enough not to test and report on the Bluetooth then I reckon Paul has not got the right reviewers. Some of us spent our "real" money on this DAP and expected the reviewers to at least check the Bluetooth. If it's beneath the 'purists' to even check the Bluetooth that is not good and you are letting us and iBasso down. Fine if you did check it and the DX160's BT worked well. For those reviewers who did not test the BT then the question is...why did you not do what you should have done?

Sorry, but I have no issues while pairing my DX160 with the Samsung Galaxy S9+. The DX160 work's pretty well in both ways BT DAC and Bluetooth streaming source. Did you updated your device to the latest FW?

IMG-20191114-WA0008.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #1,562 of 6,983
Sorry, but I have no issues while pairing my DX160 with the Samsung Galaxy S9+. The DX160 work's pretty well in both ways BT DAC and Bluetooth streaming source. Did you updated your device to the latest FW?

Yep I put the new firmware on. There is no problem pairing with headphones or 3 receivers. The signal just couldn't hold.

Nov 14, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #1,564 of 6,983
Did you contacted ibasso about this issue?

Yep, I had an email conversation with Paul at iBasso and my retailer. Sadly I had to return it. If I could get a DX160 that had a reasonable BT signal I would get it immediately. I'm sure in the near future I will get it.

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #1,565 of 6,983
Yep, I had an email conversation with Paul at iBasso and my retailer. Sadly I had to return it. If I could get a DX160 that had a reasonable BT signal I would get it immediately. I'm sure in the near future I will get it.

I hope that your problem will be solved in the near future! Btw, people have always the option to send me or other reviewers a public message for in depth questions before they buy any product

Nov 14, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #1,566 of 6,983
Pop and dead silence sounds like the internal amplifier has been shut down/muted for power savings etc. This is normal for DAPs. I don't know if that timer is 10 sec, 30 sec, or a minute or longer after the playback has stopped. For waterfall hiss, you typically need to evaluate it immediately after stopping the music. Any audible noise (hiss, interference, etc) will come through only if the amplifier is active.

Thanks for this clarification!

Nov 15, 2019 at 3:39 AM Post #1,567 of 6,983
Not sure if this may help reduce WIFI OR Bluetooth noise/connection problems....
- Wifi can be sent on 2.4Ghz, 3,6Ghz, and 5Ghz. 2.4 and 5 are most common in modern routers.
- Bluetooth is 2.4Ghz.
- IF you are using 2.4GHz router, try switching to 5GHz. It may reduce "crosstalk" between the two. If BT and Wifi are using same antenna, impact of being on same frequency could be worse.
Not everyone has 5GHZ Wifi, but for those that do this is something easy to try.

General Info: Also, when active/on: Your Cell Phone, Fluorescent Lights, Microwave Ovens, television, Computer, etc... can cause noise or connectivity problems on Bluetooth and WIFI. Keeping both your bluetooth transmitter, and receiver a few feet away from these is a good idea. Also try to make sure that none of those come between you and the bluetooth DAP/Phone/(Transmitter). A room full of people between your bluetooth headphones and the Transmitter can also reduce range useable range,,,

Note the Plantronics Headphones use very basic/(low data rate) Bluetooth. And because of that alone, will have double or triple the range of someone trying to connect with LDAC 990. If working as Paul Described, the Plantronics should get "22 feet" of good bluetooth connectivity with with no walls or barriers.

For those with the DX160 not getting a stable bluetooth connection at "2 feet away", there is something very wrong. Either with the DX160 has a problem; Or your testing environment has a lot of signal interference (as listed above).

My last 2 cents on this. Would love to see this issue resolved. It does seem like some DX160's have bluetooth/wifi "as expected" for a DAP. And that others have poor bluetooth connectivity.

Mine is reverse case.
5GHz Wi-Fi connection : scratching noise
2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection : No noise

Nov 15, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #1,570 of 6,983
With Bluetooth Reciever mode, I cannot set LDAC codec.
Can you set it?

I have activated the developer settings menu on both devices and have switched to the LDAC codec on both my phone and the DX160. Normally, If I try to switch to the LDAC codec on my phone to pair it with a device that doesn’t supports the LDAC codec, it doesn’t allow, while this is not the case with the DX160. I am not sure if its really works, because it doesn’t appear any LDAC activate option under the advanced Bluetooth setting like with True Wireless IEM’s or Bluetooth DAC like the FiiO BTR3 or Q5s.

Nov 15, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #1,572 of 6,983
@Paul - iBasso

Regarding the Ibasso DX160 there are now lots of cases of WiFi and Bluetooth issues this isn't just the odd one cropping up here and there.

WiFi noise on 2.4ghz 5ghz
Bluetooth connecting then stopping
Bluetooth connecting than stopping as little as a foot away.
Scratching noises with WiFi on.

It's all documented on these pages.

Also the Dx160 isn't just an Audio player it was sold with Bluetooth and WiFi with streaming app capabilities correct me if I'm wrong...

As such the player only does 50% of what it was advertised to do.
I have asked you more than once about what the proposed method of sorting will be is it a chip fault etc.

By not saying anything the issue will not just disappear, I have had to return mine and brief discussion leaves me very dissatisfied with Ibasso stance regarding this issue...

It's not all bad the DX160 had excellent sound wired and if that is what you were going for then Bluetooth and WiFi should have been omitted if not up to scratch or design fault etc etc

I look forward to your reply.

Please don't take the above the wrong way I think the screen and music wired is excellent as is design and if the WiFi and Bluetooth were corrected would buy another.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,574 of 6,983
I used the DX160 with wifi streaming on often and no noise.
I used it paired with my ANC headphones via LDAC BT for 4 legs of travel this week and no weird noises or sounds while in use.

Is there something else anyone would like me to try?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back