iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 27, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #901 of 6,983
Oct 27, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #902 of 6,983
I notice ibasso, like hiby, have chosen to retain the option to leave gapless playback off in their mango player (both pure mango and android apk).

Why?

Is there something that happens to the bitstream when gapless is invoked that 'in theory' affects sound quality? Or perhaps there's another reason people like to have 2 seconds of silence interfere with their favorite albums? Especially those classical pieces with connecting movements and prog rock concept albums. Or is this player so convincing that silence must be interjected to remind the listener it's only a facsimile of the music, and they're not really there?

I've always wondered about this, too. You'd think perfect gapless would be on the list of mandatory inclusions, but for some reason it's still seen as an option in 2019. Though I have read in the past on other sites that some people purposely include an extra second or two of silence (sometimes even half a minute) at the end of every file so they can "think about what they just listened to/experienced" or some other nonsense. *shrug* Different strokes, I suppose. As long as gapless functions properly after I tick the little box, I can't say I really care all that much.

Oct 27, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #903 of 6,983
Hey guys,
does anyone have DX160 and ES100 at the same time ?
Could you describe how different they are in terms of sound quality ? I wonder if Ibasso DX160 it's a big improvement over ES100.
I currently have the pair ES100 + TZF N.3 iems which are quite ok for regular use/gym but I would like to step up the game and make an improvement & was thinking about Ibasso DX160 and maybe a new pair of iems (thinking about Campfire VEGA or EE Bravado).

thanks

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #905 of 6,983
Hi I’ve been playing with my DX160 for about 2 weeks now and just yesterday I tried connecting it to my bluetooth headphones and iems.. The bluetooth connection is very unstable it’s so useless that I just use wired connection. But during travel in noisy environment I prefer to use ANC capable headphone and connection is via bluetooth. So any one experience poor bluetooth connection with their DX160? Thanks

Oct 27, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #906 of 6,983
You need to adjust LDAC connection settings as follows:
1. Go to Settings->System->About Device
2. Tap on "Build Number" numerous times until it tells you "You are now a developer!"
3. Go back up a menu level to System and you'll now see Developer Options, tap into that.
4. Scroll down until you see a bunch of Bluetooth settings, including "Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality"
5. Choose among the options there.

Hi I’ve been playing with my DX160 for about 2 weeks now and just yesterday I tried connecting it to my bluetooth headphones and iems.. The bluetooth connection is very unstable it’s so useless that I just use wired connection. But during travel in noisy environment I prefer to use ANC capable headphone and connection is via bluetooth. So any one experience poor bluetooth connection with their DX160? Thanks

try this from Joe via the Hiby R5 thread. Its all Android and i just checked my DX160 and it does come up with a variety of options.

6B49A169-E73D-456D-A48E-42D5558CDA12.jpeg FDDAFA12-081E-4823-91A8-E3CD0101304C.jpeg

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #907 of 6,983
Hey guys,
Could you describe how different they are in terms of sound quality ? I wonder if Ibasso DX160 it's a big improvement over ES100.
I currently have the pair ES100 + TZF N.3 iems which are quite ok for regular use/gym but I would like to step up the game and make an improvement & was thinking about Ibasso DX160 and maybe a new pair of iems (thinking about Campfire VEGA or EE Bravado).

thanks

I have both.
To me DX160 has better soundstage and timbre.

Oct 28, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #908 of 6,983
Hey guys,

thanks

I had ES100 and sell it few days before i got DX160. I basso is on another level in sound quality and power output. ES100 is fine on the go for IEMs and sound pretty good for its small form factor, but DX160 is better in everything IMO.

Oct 28, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #910 of 6,983
Can anyone confirm if DX160 is capable of USB-audio output? My intention is to use it as transport with ALO CDM. Appreciate your support.

I would not buy the dx160 using it as transport via usb. I had the dx120 and it does not connect to the mojo via usb instead i use coax. Maybe somebody here can confirm thus. You might be able to use the cdm via line out of dx160 to the analog line in of the CDM

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #911 of 6,983
Good news for those waiting for their iBasso DX160 from AMP3 in dear old Scotland. They have got them and are getting ready to post. Exciting......... I should have it by the end of the week. Is there anybody using it with the Blon 03s? How do the Blons stand up to the balanced 4.4 output?

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #912 of 6,983
Re the digital filters, normally I find the sharp/fast roll off a little well sharper and thinner. And the slow/gradual roll off usually more bassy and full.

Not a big difference, basically just cutting off different parts of the wave. I do find these have a little more effect than the ess ones. I'm using fast roll off and phase compensated on the R5.

I don't put too much emphasis on dacs, after all they're all just crunching numbers but the filters and software give them their own flavour. I feel the amp and LPF is really where the sound is shaped.

However, I really like the basic tonality of this cirrus. It's a good blend of emotional and resolving. The sr15 has some added colour in the mids, and the R5 has a bit added in mid bass. From the general consensus the dx160 is less coloured which should sound really good with this dac. Assuming the amp stage is solid :)

I'm sure it is

I'm actually more concerned about usability, and battery life. I've no doubt it will sound good.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #913 of 6,983
Re the digital filters, normally I find the sharp/fast roll off a little well sharper and thinner. And the slow/gradual roll off usually more bassy and full.

Not a big difference, basically just cutting off different parts of the wave. I do find these have a little more effect than the ess ones. I'm using fast roll off and phase compensated on the R5.

I don't put too much emphasis on dacs, after all they're all just crunching numbers but the filters and software give them their own flavour. I feel the amp and LPF is really where the sound is shaped.

However, I really like the basic tonality of this cirrus. It's a good blend of emotional and resolving. The sr15 has some added colour in the mids, and the R5 has a bit added in mid bass. From the general consensus the dx160 is less coloured which should sound really good with this dac. Assuming the amp stage is solid :)

I'm sure it is

I agree, people shouldn't be stressing out too much about these digital DAC filters, and quite often the effect is very subtle, usually around the bass area (but it varies from DAC to DAC). It has been a topic of many arguments in the past since some people don't hear the effect. As it was mentioned already, this is not something iBasso or other manufacturers come up with, it's part of the DAC design and manufacturers just offering the access to it.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #914 of 6,983
On a slightly different but still very much related topic :D, I have been accumulating more playback hours on my DX160 review unit, using it as a source for some iem burn in. So, probably have close to 200hrs on it. Out of the box and even a few dozen hours later, the sound was more neutral reference, even kind of reminded me of LPGT tonality. Last night I spent more time listening and comparing (starting to work on dx160 review), and I noticed that tonality has a fuller body now, a little smoother, richer, more musical.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #915 of 6,983
On a slightly different but still very much related topic :D, I have been accumulating more playback hours on my DX160 review unit, using it as a source for some iem burn in. So, probably have close to 200hrs on it. Out of the box and even a few dozen hours later, the sound was more neutral reference, even kind of reminded me of LPGT tonality. Last night I spent more time listening and comparing (starting to work on dx160 review), and I noticed that tonality has a fuller body now, a little smoother, richer, more musical.

Would you choose this over the Hiby R5 ? I believe the Hiby has longer battery life and faster processor/gui ? Ignoring screen/size considerations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back