iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 12, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #1,501 of 6,983
I'm not saying the problem doesn't occur. In Poland, I also read about problems with wifi, but changing the router settings solved the problem. I personally have no problems using wifi and Bluetooth. However, I am of the opinion that the more electronics made more problems. Maybe I'm too forgiving and don't expect as much from a dap as from a smartphone
I would agree with you. Also, my iPhone 11 Pro is superb with BT, over 100 feet and through walls but then Apple has the chips made to their specs and I would bet it is class 3 vs class 2. I have been reading up more on BT, because of curiosity and because of my lack of knowledge but now understand it better. I have daps for sound, not for phone BT or even wifi excellent performance but I can understand in this day and age, how some would like and want the BT. But when I really want BT, and since the common environment for using BT is not the most conducive for high end sound, my phone is what I use and I stream Amazon Music.

For problems, I don't have any. I am in a different room and there are 2 walls between me and the Wifi and I can update etc., with the DX160 OTA. For BT, I can go through one wall at 20 feet and that is it. For carrying around, no issue. Why some have an issue who knows but I assume iBasso is trying to figure it out as well. For wifi noise, none. With the new fw I get from 11 to 12 hours of play time per charge using IEMs and regular music. Go to DSD, and less time. Balanced and a little less. Headphones that demand more current and of course, less time but that is true of all the daps I have.

And I used to be happy with the iRiver 120 or 140 getting a optical signal from my Sony portable CD player or line out of the Sony to my Xin Amp. :^)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #1,502 of 6,983
Ive had the DX160 for around a week now and I must say im really enjoying it so far. I was looking for a relatively cheap DAP(under £500) with decent sound quality that I could use daily and also take on holiday. Something that could support Amazon as I have an account. Something that doesn't weight like a bloody house brick and would fit in my pocket comfortably. All in all I would say that the DX160 is ticking all the boxes so far.

*The sound is actually better than I was expecting. My last DAP was the SP1000SS so I think this is quite a pleasant, welcome surprise.
*The size is just about perfect for me and feels great in the hand.
*The screen is high quality
*The weight is brilliant
*I loaded Amazon HD and so far its working flawlessly.
*Its Bluetooth performance is absolutely fine for my needs, Its connects to my Naim Mu-So & QB speakers and my wireless headphones, Sony WH-1000M3 & Bose Free Soundsport. I haven't a single dropout.
*It can drive my LCD4Z and ZMF Verite Closed with headroom to spare. Level 36-40 on high gain is plenty loud enough for me.
*USB DAC is also pretty good
*Supports 512 SD card

What would I like to see improved?

*Battery drain seems pretty quick when using wifi, bluetooth etc but absolutely fine when using SD card.
*I don't like the case that comes with it. Feels weird to me and a bit slippy if my hands are sweaty/moist. I would much prefer leather or a good quality faux leather. Anyone seen a good one for sale anywhere?
*Loading files was quick and you can find artists, albums, songs etc easily, however it didn't import my playlists as playlists. The music is all there it just looks like I need to create them again with is a bit of a pain? This could be pilot error as Ive only had the player for a week and still finding my way around the UI. I do miss my AK for this.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,503 of 6,983
I would agree with you. Also, my iPhone 11 Pro is superb with BT, over 100 feet and through walls but then Apple has the chips made to their specs and I would bet it is class 3 vs class 2. I have been reading up more on BT, because of curiosity and because of my lack of knowledge but now understand it better. I have daps for sound, not for phone BT or even wifi excellent performance but I can understand in this day and age, how some would like and want the BT. But when I really want BT, and since the common environment for using BT is not the most conducive for high end sound, my phone is what I use and I stream Amazon Music.
Let's be clear. People aren't asking for 40 feet of Bluetooth coverage. The problem is that we aren't even getting 2 feet at times. I just tested my iphone and my DX160 with the same set of headphones and this is exactly the situation. WiFi appears to be fine so it does not seem to be just that the antenna is dislodged. Hopefully iBasso can figure out what is occurring as I really want to love this DAP. But not even being able to get 2 feet out of Bluetooth essentially renders Bluetooth non-functional. If that is the case then the DAP shouldn't be advertised with Bluetooth as a selling point.

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #1,504 of 6,983
Let's be clear. People aren't asking for 40 feet of Bluetooth coverage. The problem is that we aren't even getting 2 feet at times. I just tested my iphone and my DX160 with the same set of headphones and this is exactly the situation. WiFi appears to be fine so it does not seem to be just that the antenna is dislodged. Hopefully iBasso can figure out what is occurring as I really want to love this DAP. But not even being able to get 2 feet out of Bluetooth essentially renders Bluetooth non-functional. If that is the case then the DAP shouldn't be advertised with Bluetooth as a selling point.
Not sure about the DX160, but some devices have One (or more) antenna(s) for WIFI, and Another (or several) for Bluetooth. If bluetooth has it's own antenna, it could be loose. or be getting shielded by something,

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #1,505 of 6,983
I'm not saying the problem doesn't occur. In Poland, I also read about problems with wifi, but changing the router settings solved the problem. I personally have no problems using wifi and Bluetooth. However, I am of the opinion that the more electronics made more problems. Maybe I'm too forgiving and don't expect as much from a dap as from a smartphone
In terms of hardware, you definitely shouldn't expect more from a DAP compared to modern smartphones. Heck I've just bought a mint condition LG V30+ smartphone with a quad ESS dac, and the hardware (screen, Wi-Fi, BT, storage, speed) is so far advanced from my R6 Pro (which cost me three times as much to buy), it's not even close. The HiBy is positively antiquated by comparison (even though it's really not - we've all been spoiled by our exceptional phones).

And yet the R6 Pro does one thing really, really well: play music. Ok, so the R6 Pro does seem to have better Wi-Fi and BT support (and range) than the DX160, but it also picks up some RF interference if too close to a phone. Yet where it shines is music playback. There's just no denying that with wired IEMs or headphones (in other words, critical listening), both single ended and balanced, the DAP leaves the far more sophisticated phone in the dust when it comes to sound quality.

That's what you're buying: a niche product made in far smaller quantities (hence the higher expense for more basic hardware and software) designed to do one thing really, really well. And no doubt the DX160, like the R6 Pro and R5 and M11, does exactly that. You want a DAP that does Wi-Fi and BT like a phone (even a 2017 phone)? Not for $400. Not right now anyway. Or maybe ever.

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #1,506 of 6,983
In terms of hardware, you definitely shouldn't expect more from a DAP compared to modern smartphones. Heck I've just bought a mint condition LG V30+ smartphone with a quad ESS dac, and the hardware (screen, Wi-Fi, BT, storage, speed) is so far advanced from my R6 Pro (which cost me three times as much to buy), it's not even close. The HiBy is positively antiquated by comparison (even though it's really not - we've all been spoiled by our exceptional phones).

And yet the R6 Pro does one thing really, really well: play music. Ok, so the R6 Pro does seem to have better Wi-Fi and BT support (and range) than the DX160, but it also picks up some RF interference if too close to a phone. Yet where it shines is music playback. There's just no denying that with wired IEMs or headphones (in other words, critical listening), both single ended and balanced, the DAP leaves the far more sophisticated phone in the dust when it comes to sound quality.

That's what you're buying: a niche product made in far smaller quantities (hence the higher expense for more basic hardware and software) designed to do one thing really, really well. And no doubt the DX160, like the R6 Pro and R5 and M11, does exactly that. You want a DAP that does Wi-Fi and BT like a phone (even a 2017 phone)? Not for $400. Not right now anyway. Or maybe ever.

Exactly. For this I buy dap's- for playing music through a cable and with this function they perform awesome. The rest are just additions (I use dx220 in mango mode, I also used m11 in Pure music mode)

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #1,507 of 6,983
Exactly. For this I buy dap's- for playing music through a cable and with this function they perform awesome. The rest are just additions (I use dx220 in mango mode, I also used m11 in Pure music mode)
So according to your logic, you shouldn't complain if the radio in your car doesn't work (your car is primarily a source a transportation). Or if the heater in your apartment breaks (your apartment is just a roof over your head). Or if the wifi on your phone breaks (your phone is primarily a communications device). Or if the cosmetic outside plate of your headphones is broken when you unbox the headphones (your headphones are primarily a music listening device). I guess we're back to "you're holding it wrong".

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #1,508 of 6,983
Common now, let’s not be too harsh. Anyways, let’s be fair and say this, if the feature of a device that you want so much doesn’t work out, then you simply move on to the next device that can do it much better.

for example, if you want to make a phone call and have 5G, and an IPhone 11 can not do 5G, you simply accept the fact that it is not the product for you and move on to a Note 10-5G, and who the hell care if your carrier services could provide it to you ? At least, you are holding in your hand a phone that can do 5G, and that is that :wink:

with all of my honesty, if I were you, I would move on to the next DAP that do better at Bluetooth connectivity and WiFi, and that is that. If you ask me which one, I will be Unable to point you to any devices.....because I use DAP simply for music.....but if you insist then I would point you to a smartphone....any newest smartphones would be able to do so...

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #1,509 of 6,983
So according to your logic, you shouldn't complain if the radio in your car doesn't work (your car is primarily a source a transportation). Or if the heater in your apartment breaks (your apartment is just a roof over your head). Or if the wifi on your phone breaks (your phone is primarily a communications device). Or if the cosmetic outside plate of your headphones is broken when you unbox the headphones (your headphones are primarily a music listening device). I guess we're back to "you're holding it wrong".

You probably didn't understand the meaning of my speech. It was a mental shortcut from "it's a dap and don't expect smartphone performance from it". I understand that U'R may be disappointed because something in your item does not work as you expect. However, as mentioned earlier, it is a niche branch and probably will take some time before dap's reach the functionality of today's smartphones. It doesn't change the fact that buying a dap for wireless listening is pointless, but it's not my business.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #1,510 of 6,983
You probably didn't understand the meaning of my speech. It was a mental shortcut from "it's a dap and don't expect smartphone performance from it". I understand that U'R may be disappointed because something in your item does not work as you expect. However, as mentioned earlier, it is a niche branch and probably will take some time before dap's reach the functionality of today's smartphones. It doesn't change the fact that buying a dap for wireless listening is pointless, but it's not my business.

We aren't expecting mobile phone performance we just want Bluetooth that works without cut outs and actually pairs with Bluetooth equipment.

And WiFi that is fairly stable.

Lots of manufacturers seem to be able to get daps working with Bluetooth and WiFi ,
Sony
Hiby
Fiio to a degree.

Also I think it's fairly narrow minded to say buying a dap for wireless listening is pointless been as the last couple of years has seen a marketing influx of daps allowing for apps with streaming and wireless capabilities.

But I do take your point that daps haven't reached mobile phone performance pretty difficult to achieve with costs involved on making and selling a dap at certain price points however if something is advertised it should be capable...

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #1,511 of 6,983
We aren't expecting mobile phone performance we just want Bluetooth that works without cut outs and actually pairs with Bluetooth equipment.

And WiFi that is fairly stable.

Lots of manufacturers seem to be able to get daps working with Bluetooth and WiFi ,
Sony
Hiby
Fiio to a degree.

Also I think it's fairly narrow minded to say buying a dap for wireless listening is pointless been as the last couple of years has seen a marketing influx of daps allowing for apps with streaming and wireless capabilities.

But I do take your point that daps haven't reached mobile phone performance pretty difficult to achieve with costs involved on making and selling a dap at certain price points however if something is advertised it should be capable...
HiBy also has some issues but that isn't the point. Sure people want something to work. I still use my phone for out and and about because even with good BT on a few other devices, I prefer using the phone and the Amazon Music streaming. Been enjoying the iPhone 11 Pro and the AirPods Pro.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #1,512 of 6,983
I have never heard such rubbish as to not expect the Bluetooth to work. It's advertised to work. Mine did not work six inches away from 3 different types of receivers. All the other DAPS I have can transmit Bluetooth a few feet. Those who expected Bluetooth to work are expecting it to work and not fail over a couple of feet. The sound quality of this DAP is exceptional, but pretending people should live with the problems or not expect the DX160 to have generally stable WiFi or BT is beyond belief.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #1,513 of 6,983
HiBy also has some issues but that isn't the point. Sure people want something to work. I still use my phone for out and and about because even with good BT on a few other devices, I prefer using the phone and the Amazon Music streaming. Been enjoying the iPhone 11 Pro and the AirPods Pro.

yes, same here !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back