iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #2,642 of 6,983
I passed this along upstream a bit but in a nutshell, here's my take:

1. Poweramp: Best interface, hands-down, but while the sound is VERY good it does not support bit-perfect audio nor does it have the ability to play music from a DLNA server on your network (should you need to do so).

2. Neutron: Worst interface (albeit tolerable, but in a three-way horserace you have to have a loser). Also not great for DLNA server-side audio. However, this is the best audio player on the market, hands down. Supports bit-perfect audio on the DX160 100%.

3. USB Audio Player Pro: Probably the best all-around compromise. Interface is almost as nice as Poweramp's. Does a GREAT job of DLNA playback and supports bit-perfect audio on the DX-160. Less options, perhaps, than Neutron.

Honestly, I have all three apps on my device. Really can't think of a reason why not to... I'd just go with that arrangement if I were you and then let your own experience/usage determine which gets your own personal nod.

- Steve
Thank you very much for your answer.
I have been going back and forth beetwen UAPP and Neutron, and I have to say thay UAPP has noticeably better separation and layering beetwen instruments and vocals, so at the end of the day I went with UAPP.
I tried extensively every option that Neutron had, but it couldnt compete with UAPP in that department even playing at DSD64. I'm not sure if i missed something or maybe Neutron is the best android player because of other reasons, but i can clearly say that UAPP sounds cleaner than Neutron and Mango player.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #2,643 of 6,983
I have been going back and forth beetwen UAPP and Neutron, and I have to say thay UAPP has noticeably better separation and layering beetwen instruments and vocals, so at the end of the day I went with UAPP.
I tried extensively every option that Neutron had, but it couldnt compete with UAPP in that department even playing at DSD64. I'm not sure if i missed something or maybe Neutron is the best android player because of other reasons, but i can clearly say that UAPP sounds cleaner than Neutron and Mango player.

I agree on UAPP sounding cleaner and leaner but it has one major issue for me. I am hearing 'pop' every time bit rate changes on the file, in other word going from 24bit flac to 16bit there's a noticeable pop right before moving to next song. This is not happening on Neutron and it is quite annoying if your music collection is mixed between 16 and 24 bit.

Feb 8, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #2,644 of 6,983

You really can't go wrong with either, but I tend to agree with you, and use UAPP for my daily use. I also love it for its integration with Tidal, and GPM, and it also has UPNP renderer function too. I also use one of my headphones through USB audio out with this app (works a charm). I just wish they would hurry up and integrate Amazon HD also, then I could just throw away all those other apps, and stick with the "One App to Rule Them All" idea... :)

I think, at this point, they are all so closely matched that it comes down to what your preference and use cases are as to which one you might want over others. For instance, I actually really like the GPM interface (except the coloring which has remained the same since launch), but doesn't have the huge feature set of UAPP. Plus it will never play cd quality or better, so there's that too... heh

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #2,645 of 6,983
But it goes I made a downgrade to DX160-v1.01 and then to 1.02.109 and to 1.03.123.
Because no matter what I play, be it Tidal, Spotify, TuneIn or USB Audio Player PRO and Neutron Player I get completely disconnected after a while!
The WLAN symbol is then completely without reception.
There is no power mode active and nothing goes into sleep mode.
It doesn't matter if the screen is on or off, after a while the connection is simply gone.
I am not 2-3 meters away from the router! There is a connection to 5GHz.

At the moment the DX160 runs with the 1.03.123 firmware.
If now the connection breaks down again then it goes back to the dealer .
So far it only makes problems in streaming.
The device is already top and the sound with the Fiio FH7 makes fun.
But I don't like to play only from the SD even if it is 400GB.
Greetings Rudi

But also with the (Lurker00/DX160 firmware) I had the WLAN problems

WLAN Error! Mine seems to have a bug :frowning2:
Did you try with the app Naptime??

Probably the wifi goes to sleep (Doze) at a certain time. Some had succes wit it.

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #2,646 of 6,983
Did you try with the app Naptime??

Probably the wifi goes to sleep (Doze) at a certain time. Some had succes wit it.

Naptime doesn't work.
Neutron - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
UAPP - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
Spotify - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
Tidal - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min

Device completely reset - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
Scanned all firmware versions - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min

Now I don't feel like it any more, it all takes too long for me so he goes back to the dealer and I hope that I get another DX160.
If he has the same problem then no more iBasso!

Feb 9, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #2,647 of 6,983
Does anyone have a workaround for DX160 not being able to connect to a Smart TV via Bluetooth for audio? My Hiby R5 (Sold last Friday) had no issues.

I can connect my V35 to the DX160 easily.No luck with the TV. it says it can't communicate with the TV. Settings for the TV have not changed.
I'm on the latest firmware with Lurker addon (Had the same issue with stock firmware)

Otherwise love the DX160 sound,1080p screen, design and thoroughly enjoying it. It's an end game type of DAP for me.

Feb 9, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #2,648 of 6,983
Does anyone have a workaround for DX160 not being able to connect to a Smart TV via Bluetooth for audio? My Hiby R5 (Sold last Friday) had no issues.

I can connect my V35 to the DX160 easily.No luck with the TV. it says it can't communicate with the TV. Settings for the TV have not changed.
I'm on the latest firmware with Lurker addon (Had the same issue with stock firmware)

Otherwise love the DX160 sound,1080p screen, design and thoroughly enjoying it. It's an end game type of DAP for me.

I just paired mine up, and there was no issue. Music streaming via bluetooth using UAPP app to Samsung smart tv. You haven't really given enough information for anyone to suggest a work-around. What type of TV are you trying to connect to? Did you have to enter a pairing code on your TV (the DX provides a pairing code should you need it)? You are trying to connect via Bluetooth (sending), not bluetooth DAC/AMP mode (receiving) right? Whatever other information you could provide might help others help you. :)

Naptime doesn't work.
Neutron - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
UAPP - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
Spotify - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
Tidal - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min

Device completely reset - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min
Scanned all firmware versions - Wlan switches off and on after 5-30min

Now I don't feel like it any more, it all takes too long for me so he goes back to the dealer and I hope that I get another DX160.
If he has the same problem then no more iBasso!

This does not sound like a Doze issue, because Doze would put it to sleep, but it would not come right back on by itself, unless you have a rogue app installed.

When you did a factory reset, did you restore apps and settings from Google Play Store? If so, try doing another factory reset, and don't install or restore from Google Play Store. Beyond that, it sounds like a faulty unit.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #2,650 of 6,983
I passed this along upstream a bit but in a nutshell, here's my take:

1. Poweramp: Best interface, hands-down, but while the sound is VERY good it does not support bit-perfect audio nor does it have the ability to play music from a DLNA server on your network (should you need to do so).

2. Neutron: Worst interface (albeit tolerable, but in a three-way horserace you have to have a loser). Also not great for DLNA server-side audio. However, this is the best audio player on the market, hands down. Supports bit-perfect audio on the DX160 100%.

3. USB Audio Player Pro: Probably the best all-around compromise. Interface is almost as nice as Poweramp's. Does a GREAT job of DLNA playback and supports bit-perfect audio on the DX-160. Less options, perhaps, than Neutron.

Honestly, I have all three apps on my device. Really can't think of a reason why not to... I'd just go with that arrangement if I were you and then let your own experience/usage determine which gets your own personal nod.

- Steve

I was literally just wondering if USB APP did bit-perfect playback, so thanks for this rundown. Cause doesn't USB APP support sorting by Album Artist, as well? I know Mango doesn't, unfortunately.

Feb 9, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,651 of 6,983
I just paired mine up, and there was no issue. Music streaming via bluetooth using UAPP app to Samsung smart tv. You haven't really given enough information for anyone to suggest a work-around. What type of TV are you trying to connect to? Did you have to enter a pairing code on your TV (the DX provides a pairing code should you need it)? You are trying to connect via Bluetooth (sending), not bluetooth DAC/AMP mode (receiving) right? Whatever other information you could provide might help others help you. :)

This does not sound like a Doze issue, because Doze would put it to sleep, but it would not come right back on by itself, unless you have a rogue app installed.

When you did a factory reset, did you restore apps and settings from Google Play Store? If so, try doing another factory reset, and don't install or restore from Google Play Store. Beyond that, it sounds like a faulty unit.

How should I install the apps UAPP and Neutron without Google Store?

Feb 9, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #2,652 of 6,983
So DX160 once again completely reset and only the UAPP installed, result is the same as before.
I listen to the music on my NAS and it doesn't matter if I listen via folder sharing or via minimserver via DLNA.
The music simply breaks off after 5-30 minutes and the WLan is briefly off and then on again.
Therefore I assume that the DX is defect!

I have now tested all firmware versions with it and it is always the same - WLan goes out!
There are only the Apps from the delivery state on the DX160 and the UAPP.
A cross test with the Neutron Player gives the same result.
So now I don't want to listen to music with the DX160 anymore because it's no fun.
Since 2 weeks I'm struggling with the support of Neutron, UAPP, and Audirvana, because I first thought that it is related to the apps.
So listening to music is just no fun!
As nice as the device is, as valuable it is, I give the DX160 another chance and send it back to the dealer with the hope that I get a device that works?
Hopefully otherwise no more iBasso

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #2,653 of 6,983
DSC06739.JPG

Silver special edition. I just got this thing. Looks stunning in person. Pictures does not do justice. So far so good. Loaded up a 256 gig card I had. Booted up just fine. Quick to turn on quick to load. Best screen I have seen on a music player.

How I get the special edition you might ask? It was literally the last one they had at Penon audio. Had to cancel my order from Moon audio. Once I found out it was a special edition. Well then. Burn in shall commence. So far loving the player. I read a lot about recent wifi issues and such.

All I am saying is. Right now I don't care. Lol.

Umm, I want this.

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #2,654 of 6,983
I was literally just wondering if USB APP did bit-perfect playback, so thanks for this rundown. Cause doesn't USB APP support sorting by Album Artist, as well? I know Mango doesn't, unfortunately.
UAPP does indeed support Album Artist (although not very well, as it still mixes in Artist tagged-songs with Album Artists). Neutron doesn't support the Album Artist field at all. Only (of course) Poweramp supports Album Artist properly. Sadly, the author of Poweramp doesn't seem to understand the need for bit-perfect audio and these other guys have no clue or interest in either UI design or what people actually use tags for...

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #2,655 of 6,983
How should I install the apps UAPP and Neutron without Google Store?
There are ways you can do this; Neutron even has an alternative method for doing so detailed at their website. Seems much simpler to me to just go ahead and use Lurker00's Firmware Add-on which provides numerous benefits in addition to Google Services. See https://github.com/Lurker00/DX160-Firmware-Add-on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back