iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Feb 5, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #2,612 of 6,983
Here also a satisfied DX160 user....

I use all my gear balanced so no static issues. I have tried SE didn't notice it.

Bluetooth range is not best. But IMO you don't buy the DX160 for that. Just use any BT phone.

WiFi range. As long as you force to connect on 5ghz wifi speeds are good.

I like the sound signature the build quality. It's pretty fast and Ibasso doesn't force you to install approved apps... Which I hated of Fiio.

Still waiting for some antennas to try...
Yes but how are you supposed if you have Bluetooth Headphones to be able to use them on DAPS it's 2020 and Bluetooth is awful on the 160.. and the WIFI is not much better .. pretty pointless having streaming apps if you can not use them .. to sum up if you have wired Headphones/IEM'S and you download all your music a daps for you.. and if like me you have Wersireless IEM'S and stream a good deal of your music stick to a phone .. cheers.

Just to make clear in my case at least the WIFI issue was not down to speeds .. but disconnection from wifi and yes 5ghz.

Feb 5, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #2,613 of 6,983
For those talking about Samsung chargers earlier in this thread, I have found some interesting..... findings. You CAN use the Samsung (so called) quick charger on this device. You just have to use the older white colored ones (marked with the lightning bolt). The newer black ones will not work. This is, at least, my experience.

I have not let mine get below 50% yet, except when testing my battery life, but the Samsung charger (the white one) will charge mine from 50 to 100 in less than half an hour. I would consider that pretty quick, but that is just my experience.

I have also found that SPDIF works great from this device. I used a 3mm to coax adaptor to coax in on my old (early 2000's) Yamaha setup, and it truly has never sounded better (even from coax from my old Fiio X5 gen 1). I am impressed! I still have yet to test the LO, so can't comment there yet.

For iBasso: to add to the list of things I (and probably others) would like to see added to the software is being able to label the custom PEQ buttons. Should be a pretty easy add.

Yes but how are you supposed if you have Bluetooth Headphones to be able to use them on DAPS it's 2020 and Bluetooth is awful on the 160.. and the WIFI is not much better .. pretty pointless having streaming apps if you can not use them .. to sum up if you have wired Headphones/IEM'S and you download all your music a daps for you.. and if like me you have Wersireless IEM'S and stream a good deal of your music stick to a phone .. cheers.

Just to make clear in my case at least the WIFI issue was not down to speeds .. but disconnection from wifi and yes 5ghz.

I feel for you, but I am thinking it is a combination of the chasis + antennas etc... and the codecs, because while I have distance issues with my BT, I have no dropouts ever. But, I am only using regular AptX (don't have any with the newer codecs). It is not a big deal to me, but I agree with all that iBasso either hasn't been 100% transparent about this, or that they are incompetent. I really don't think it is the latter, so that leaves dishonest, and that bugs me (even though I love my DX160).

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,616 of 6,983
Would there be any possibility of having the minimum brightness level reduced even farther via firmware update @Paul - iBasso ? Side by side my DX220 is capable of being a decent level more dim, figured that would help battery life too.
We have reduced it as much as we can. If there is something else that comes up that allows us to reduce it more, we will but we haven't found a way to do this, at this time.

Please note that I am not getting updates since the last overhaul of Headfi, so if I don't answer, it isn't because I am ignoring anyone.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 6, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #2,617 of 6,983
Is there any chance that the DX160 will be capable of Roon?

It seems to me that somewhere in this 175 pages, that someone mentioned something about hooking it up with Roon and that it worked fine, but I don't remember the details.

Feb 7, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,618 of 6,983
It seems to me that somewhere in this 175 pages, that someone mentioned something about hooking it up with Roon and that it worked fine, but I don't remember the details.

It would be interesting if this would also work as a UPNP render (but I don't think so) iBasso is not Roon verified

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #2,621 of 6,983
It would be interesting if this would also work as a UPNP render (but I don't think so) iBasso is not Roon verified

Might want to take a look at this thread. It might help you a bit. Or at least maybe another way to get around it, or to accomplish what you are trying to do. Looks like Google purposely gimped this feature, from what they are saying: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2077288

Edit: Looks like the app UAPP (which is a fantastic player/usb DAC/EQ/PEQ/etc...) has a built in UPNP renderer....

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,622 of 6,983
Hiby r6 pro is more powerful or dx160?
Hiby r6 pro is more powerful but a lot more hiss than a dx160...I have owned both and even though I think the hiby r6pro is one of the best daps I have owned it doesn't have as good layering and stage/ width and depth plus as i said a lot more hiss ....personally i would take a dx160 over a hiby r6pro.
But I did love my r6pro a lot, one of my favourite daps

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2,623 of 6,983
Hiby r6 pro is more powerful but a lot more hiss than a dx160...I have owned both and even though I think the hiby r6pro is one of the best daps I have owned it doesn't have as good layering and stage/ width and depth plus as i said a lot more hiss ....personally i would take a dx160 over a hiby r6pro.
But I did love my r6pro a lot, one of my favourite daps
Thank you
How about sound signature?

Feb 7, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2,624 of 6,983
Thank you
How about sound signature?
From memory which isn't always the best hiby r6pro is a more fuller sound with a little more low end and it really thumps when called for , mids seem about the same but treble is more rolled off , maybe a little too much for some ..... i would say dx160 is neutral leaning to musical where as r6pro is more musical, whereas something like m11 is neutral ...personally and it is all about tastes after owning all three, I love the way dx160 is tuned it sits just right in the spectrum for me ....not too musical your losing any detail but not too sterile either .
Suits me and what I look for in a dap .

I still think the hiby r6pro is a great sounding Dap though.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,625 of 6,983
From memory which isn't always the best hiby r6pro is a more fuller sound with a little more low end and it really thumps when called for , mids seem about the same but treble is more rolled off , maybe a little too much for some ..... i would say dx160 is neutral leaning to musical where as r6pro is more musical, whereas something like m11 is neutral ...personally and it is all about tastes after owning all three, I love the way dx160 is tuned it sits just right in the spectrum for me ....not too musical your losing any detail but not too sterile either .
Suits me and what I look for in a dap .

I still think the hiby r6pro is a great sounding Dap though.
Thank you so much
I love warm and analog sound
I owned dx200+amp8 sound was little too digital
My last question r6 pro is more analog and warm sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back