iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Nov 12, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #1,486 of 6,983
I was also on the verge of ordering it. I don't think ibasso has said anything officially re: the wifi noise.. many people don't have it .. many do .. so I'm wondering if i should take a chance!

All have the wifi noise actually. Wether you hear it or not depends apparently on you headphone / iem cable.
I do with my Grado but I don't with my Hifiman He4xx

Nov 12, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #1,487 of 6,983
Edit: I see that other users are having a problem with the B&W when connected to 2 devices. I have had mine connected to 2 devices so I have to check if maybe it's the headphones rather than the DX160 that are the real culprit here. I believe now that the issue is indeed the PX7's mostly. That said, the BT still isn't anything to write home about.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #1,488 of 6,983
Another user here with the BT issues. BT is actually ok when indoors. However, when I go outdoors - especially in a city with a lot of interference - the BT only works about 6 inches without dropping. So I think you might not see the issue if you only tested the BT inside or in an area that is relatively clear of signals. Also, the problem is exacerbated when I use my B&W PX7 over my old Bose QC's which I think is because the PX7's use a codec that requires more information to be exchanged. This is a shame because the DX160 is otherwise amazing, especially for the money. I have moved from an Onkyo DPX1 and I believe the DX160 sound quality is head and shoulders better for me generally using the balanced output with Shure 846 IEM's. Now I have to wonder if iBasso can come up with a software fix or should I return the DX160 now. If not, I think you will have a lot of returned DX160's including mine.

Not sure 100% what is actually causing DX160 Wifi and/or Bluetooth problems...
- But better shielding of the Amp/Analog Section to reduce/eliminate wifi noise probably help. Unless the iem cables themselves are picking up the wifi signal noise. In that case we'd need shielded cables. (Wonder if it is possible for WIFI to be a "dirty" signal and have some "noise" that is not related to the digital information needed. Unsure how that kind of noise would be reduced)
- And a better/larger bluetooth antenna would likely increase the bluetooth signal strength. (Wonder if there is a bluetooth antenna other than the chip's small one?)
Amp/Analog Shielding, and an improved Bluetooth Antenna, would be relatively cheap design modifications.

Such a great DAP to have these two issues. Still a Great DAP for Offline Direct Listening. But would be a Great DAP for Everyone if these issues could be resolved. If not a hardware issue, maybe firmware can still offer some improvement. Am sure iBasso is doing their best to find root cause and solutions.

Nov 12, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,489 of 6,983
just trying my DX160 with TWS. now i know, why there is much complain about Bluetooth. It's worst, i mean really worst. i put my dx160 on table, no more than half meter (i'm on laptop beside dx160), it's connection constantly disconnected and reconnect. So i cannot use it at all.

Please try the WiFi as well. If this is not working correctly or a very short distance, then the antenna has come loose inside. If that is the case please ask to exchange the unit.

Thanks Paul, I agree but it drops the audio level substantially, more so than I have experienced with Ibasso and other DAP’s in the past.

We have used the same setting in the past. We haven't increased the attenuation.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Nov 12, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,490 of 6,983
Is there anyone in this thread who has the DX160 and everything works perfectly, including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? because it gives the impression that all the owners of one have a problem

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #1,492 of 6,983
Is there anyone in this thread who has the DX160 and everything works perfectly, including Wi-Fi and Bluetooth? because it gives the impression that all the owners of one have a problem
Other than the sleep problem, mine works fine. No issues with Bluetooth in my normal use-case (I checked), but my phone does just as well with BT headphones.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #1,493 of 6,983
Other than the sleep problem, mine works fine. No issues with Bluetooth in my normal use-case (I checked), but my phone does just as well with BT headphones.
How about the so called wifi noise?

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,494 of 6,983
I have done some more experimentation with other Bluetooth headphones that I know work well. I go back to my initial thoughts that the issue the BT on the DX160 rather than the headphones. I have the same dropouts with all headphones. It appears to me to be an interference issue as mentioned before either coming from inadequate powering of the BT radio or inadequate shielding. Indoors BT works reasonably but even putting the DX160 into a pocket can cut off the signal. Outdoors in a city, the DX160 cuts out if it is more than 6 inches from the headphones. Also, the dropouts come off and on as you are walking. It feels like an early cellphone where you are trying to find the perfect place to stand to have signal.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #1,495 of 6,983
How about the so called wifi noise?
I only get noise when I put it in close proximity to a noisy object, for instance my high powered desktop computer.

Nov 12, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #1,496 of 6,983
It`s called IBasso story with DX line. First a lot of praise. Reviews with no cons and stuff like that.
Then first buyers come. And problems start - short battery life, poor BT, weak WiFi...

But wired sound is awesome :)
And I (still) like my DX150 :)

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #1,500 of 6,983
I'm not saying the problem doesn't occur. In Poland, I also read about problems with wifi, but changing the router settings solved the problem. I personally have no problems using wifi and Bluetooth. However, I am of the opinion that the more electronics made more problems. Maybe I'm too forgiving and don't expect as much from a dap as from a smartphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back