iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 26, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #856 of 6,983
2.5mm and 4.4mm are not proprietary A&K and Sony standards, those are now considered to be industry standards everybody else follows in their designs. And when a respected company or DIYer makes adapters, they also follow these standards. So, unless you are buying from some clueless ebay diy seller who is trying to convince you that his singled ended to balanced adapter will work (just being sarcastic, since I'm sure you know that single ended can't be converted to balanced), you shouldn't be worrying about polarity of adapters you are buying.

Alex has the right of it, here.

Except I would have worded it, you can't go balanced-to-single-ended. But it kind of depends on how you look at it. I envision the flow as going from source>cable>monitor. In which case, you can go single-ended-to-balanced. At least in terms of adaption. Though of course you will not achieve balanced sound from such a setup, but you will get your gear to all work together.

Never go balanced-to-single-ended. You can short out your amp.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #857 of 6,983
2.5mm and 4.4mm are not proprietary A&K and Sony standards, those are now considered to be industry standards everybody else follows in their designs. And when a respected company or DIYer makes adapters, they also follow these standards. So, unless you are buying from some clueless ebay diy seller who is trying to convince you that his singled ended to balanced adapter will work (just being sarcastic, since I'm sure you know that single ended can't be converted to balanced), you shouldn't be worrying about polarity of adapters you are buying.

Thanks for your reply!!! It really should be that way, and the manufacturer take these standards into account, but today you can't trust anyone (ebay, aliexpress,...) , and I almost prefer to make my own adapter, unless the Ibasso CA02 meets the standards ... I think I must ask Ibasso directly

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #858 of 6,983
Thanks for your reply!!! It really should be that way, and the manufacturer take these standards into account, but today you can't trust anyone (ebay, aliexpress,...) , and I almost prefer to make my own adapter, unless the Ibasso CA02 meets the standards ... I think I must ask Ibasso directly

The CA02 works perfectly with every 2.5mm balanced cable I own. Which is a lot of them. :)

Cayin also has a nice one.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #859 of 6,983

Except I would have worded it, you can't go balanced-to-single-ended. But it kind of depends on how you look at it. I envision the flow as going from source>cable>monitor. In which case, you can go single-ended-to-balanced. At least in terms of adaption. Though of course you will not achieve balanced sound from such a setup, but you will get your gear to all work together.

Yes, yes, I have that very clear, you can only go from balanced to SE ... My intention is to go from 2.5mm to 4.4mm fully balanced, but since the polarities of each connector are different, that's why my doubt, no It is other than that.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #861 of 6,983

Yes, yes, I have that very clear, you can only go from balanced to SE

gcr42nwcr1kkund8kimw.jpg

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #862 of 6,983
Are you asking about Ibasso made adapter for Ibasso Players which connects and or adapt from 2.5mm to 4.4mm or even 3.5mm ?

If so, logically speaking, no one would be making adapter for other companies while leaving out their own products. Typically they would make adapters that qualify and is under all of their in house products....even if they make it for others, it would then be disclosed, and detailed out loud

I am honestly Lost at the questions and what is being asked here

Ibasso do use 2.5mm (AK standard) and that is on Amp modules for Dx150/200/220, also is using 4.4mm under JEITA standards which isn’t Sony propriety alone but industrial standard, and the same industrial standard for 3.5mm

Regardless of what polarities on which, and should not be your concern, just as long as both ends are under those standards then it is good to go

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #863 of 6,983

Now, we gonna confuse whole lot of people :p Yeah, I always look at adapters from perspective of headphone cable plug (since people want to "adapt" their cable to use with a particular output of their source :D), and in the last few months was asked by a few of people if they can use single ended (female) to balanced (male) adapters they found on ebay for their hardwired 3.5mm headphones with balanced outputs of DAPs. Jokes aside, there are a few sellers on ebay and amazon who are selling such adapters.

Oct 26, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #864 of 6,983
Are you asking about Ibasso made adapter for Ibasso Players which connects and or adapt from 2.5mm to 4.4mm or even 3.5mm ?

If so, logically speaking, no one would be making adapter for other companies while leaving out their own products. Typically they would make adapters that qualify and is under all of their in house products....even if they make it for others, it would then be disclosed, and detailed out loud

I am honestly Lost at the questions and what is being asked here

Ibasso do use 2.5mm (AK standard) and that is on Amp modules for Dx150/200/220, also is using 4.4mm under JEITA standards which isn’t Sony propriety alone but industrial standard, and the same industrial standard for 3.5mm

Regardless of what polarities on which, and should not be your concern, just as long as both ends are under those standards then it is good to go

Sorry if I am creating confusion, it is not my intention here ... Yes, I really asked that, but I see that it is clear, and that you say, Ibasso are following industry standards, so I will not have problems with the CA02 adapter.

I am sorry for this, but my English is quite poor, and I think that in some post I did not explain myself clearly enough, and I may not have expressed well what I wanted to explain or ask. My apologies again...

Oct 26, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #865 of 6,983
I’m a little behind on the balance amp/cable products. Even tho my FocalClears came with a balanced xlr cable. And I do own a Violectric balanced amp.
Am I suppose to buy a 4.4 mm balances cable to pair with my Focal Clears. To achieve the best quality output the Ibasso 160 offers. If so any one know a descent one to purchase.
Thanks.

Oct 26, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #869 of 6,983
So say I have a balanced 2.5 cable I can use the Ibasso CA02 to make it 2.5 to 4.4 but not the Ibasso CA01 to make 2.5 to 3.5 etc.

Here's the simplest way to think about it:

If you have a balanced cable, you can safely adapt it to anything.

If you have a balanced amp, never try to adapt it to single-ended cable.

If you have a balanced amp, you can adapt it to any other form of balanced termination. But never single-ended.

Oct 26, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #870 of 6,983
Cheers guys girls head fires that's eased the mind I don't have to throw away adapters

I thought I was correct in getting all balanced cables going forward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back