iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 25, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #796 of 6,983
I'm not ready to say if the DX160 is, in all ways, as good as the DX220 or N6ii, but I don't feel like I'm listening to a lesser DAP. I still haven't done any deep A/B comparisons.

So far I'd say that's good news. Looking forward to reading your comparisons between the DX160 vs. the other apps you own / have tried. Really tempted to get the DX160 as I'm not really liking the idea of carrying around a DAP the size of a brick on a daily basis. :grimacing: The fact that it's gorgeous is also a huge plus!

Oct 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #797 of 6,983
After having an extended comparison I'd say that it is a good step up from my N5ii overall. EVERY aspect of the N5ii is improved upon while keeping a similar signature.

The improved feature set is also a nice bonus.

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #801 of 6,983
I spent much of the workday listening to the ZMF Atticus driven from the DX160 in balanced.

Sweet Jesus, what a clear, dynamic sound! The 300Ω Atticus felt thoroughly taken care of, power-wise. I figured it would, considering the spects, but it's good to know the reality lives up to expectation.

I thank ye kindly.

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #802 of 6,983
Does Lurker firmware make the sound better?

I don't think so, no. But it does open up the possibility to run uapp and neutron. Neutron for EQ lovers in 64 bit processing mode can sound better than hiby, mango etc when using EQ IMO.

His add-on also allows you to dual boot into pure mango mode which some feel can improve sound quality by minimizing processor resources.

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #803 of 6,983
Oct 25, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #804 of 6,983
1- no bluetooth
2- computer does not recognize the dx160
3- no imfo what so ever on Ibasso web site about the 160.
Does anyone know the number of the latest firmware?
Could it need drivers to be recognized by my computer?

Oct 25, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #805 of 6,983
1- no bluetooth
Regarding the computer not recognizing your DX160 - I encountered this with my DX220 and suspect it might be the same or similar here. Try going to the USB connections icon (swipe down from the top on DX220) and ensure that it is set to Transfer files instead of Charge this device. See if that works here. So no special drivers needed for the DX220 to be recognized.

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. Here is a link to the DX220 manual which might help you guys out until a more comprehensive DX160 manual is available: http://ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20190913/201909131757298437.pdf

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #806 of 6,983
1- no bluetooth
There is a driver on the iBasso site that you download for Windows based computers. BT works fine, not sure what you are referring to. You have to plug the DX160 into a computer then, as mentioned, you can drag a window down from the top of the screen and you will see where you can "tap" and then change the setting from charge to storage device.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #807 of 6,983
There is a driver on the iBasso site that you download for Windows based computers. BT works fine, not sure what you are referring to. You have to plug the DX160 into a computer then, as mentioned, you can drag a window down from the top of the screen and you will see where you can "tap" and then change the setting from charge to storage device.
I believe that driver is for the USB-DAC functionality but not required for your computer to recognize the device for simple file transfers - right?

Cheers,
Tim

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #808 of 6,983
So far I'd say that's good news. Looking forward to reading your comparisons between the DX160 vs. the other apps you own / have tried. Really tempted to get the DX160 as I'm not really liking the idea of carrying around a DAP the size of a brick on a daily basis. :grimacing: The fact that it's gorgeous is also a huge plus!

Well, I'll give you a spoiler into my final review. My experiences is resoundingly positive. The build, aesthetics, output power, and of course sound, are all stellar. If the higher-end DAPs sound better, and they probably do, it's not by more than a sliver. I've not heard anything with a better price-to-performance ratio.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #809 of 6,983
1- no bluetooth

I've enjoyed extensive sessions streaming to BT headphones. Works great for me.

Oct 25, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #810 of 6,983
After having an extended comparison I'd say that it is a good step up from my N5ii overall. EVERY aspect of the N5ii is improved upon while keeping a similar signature.

The improved feature set is also a nice bonus.

That's a huge endorsement from my perspective. I was a really big fan of the N5ii's sound signature, maybe it just complimented my equipment. But I'd be keen to try the DX160 now... For the people who have it already. How's the size? The reason I moved away from using the DX150/220 more regularly is because of it's size...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back