iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Oct 12, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #481 of 6,983
I'm wondering if someone who owns one of these and/or Paul can answer a question for me. I'm interested in the DX160 mainly for its sound quality and the 4.4mm balanced output. But I need to know if it is built rugged enough to actually withstand daily use as a portable unit while doing physical labor. I drive heavy machinery and run a sawmill. The DAP will be either in my shirt zippered pocket or a fanny pack. And I'm asking because I tried a DX50 and it's 3.5mm output was defective out of the box. Sounded pretty good if I held the jack in just perfectly and plays 24/192 but sadly is going back for refund. Too bad because it also has a hold/lockout switch that is an important feature for me. Sure looks like the output jacks on the DX50 are really low quality plastic and just can't withstand any stress at all. Has iBasso addressed this with the DX160? If not can you recommend any DAP's that are rugged, with a balanced headphone option, that can play at least 24/192? I don't need Bluetooth, wi-fi, or a fancy gui or os, just basic functionality and great sound (which seems to describe the DX160 more or less) Thanks!

Oct 12, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #482 of 6,983
I'm wondering if someone who owns one of these and/or Paul can answer a question for me. I'm interested in the DX160 mainly for its sound quality and the 4.4mm balanced output. But I need to know if it is built rugged enough to actually withstand daily use as a portable unit while doing physical labor. I drive heavy machinery and run a sawmill. The DAP will be either in my shirt zippered pocket or a fanny pack. And I'm asking because I tried a DX50 and it's 3.5mm output was defective out of the box. Sounded pretty good if I held the jack in just perfectly and plays 24/192 but sadly is going back for refund. Too bad because it also has a hold/lockout switch that is an important feature for me. Sure looks like the output jacks on the DX50 are really low quality plastic and just can't withstand any stress at all. Has iBasso addressed this with the DX160? If not can you recommend any DAP's that are rugged, with a balanced headphone option, that can play at least 24/192? I don't need Bluetooth, wi-fi, or a fancy gui or os, just basic functionality and great sound (which seems to describe the DX160 more or less) Thanks!

I'm not aware of any DAP that can reasonably be expected to withstand that kind of use. Your best bet is to buy small and cheap. Maybe something like the Hidizs AP80. Great sound. I've always been impressed by it. But it's TINY. Might just slip through the obstacle course that is your life. :)

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #483 of 6,983
You are right! It is an obstacle course!!! I guess I have been lucky, I bought several Sansa Fuze (the original with the aluminum case) many years ago and they have been amazing. Summer, Winter, sweat, bugs, cutting lumber and felling logs, keeping me happily entertained along with my Westone UM3 Pros. I wish Sansa still made those. Won't do high res or much of anything else but are great for 16/44 and just keep on playing and playing. I have high hopes of finding something in a more up to date really great sounding DAP but am afraid you are correct, it just may not exist. But I am very careful with my Sansa Fuze's, using them today as every day, so maybe I am not that hard on my players and there is something that will be rugged enough for me? I will look into the Hidiz AP80, thank you!

Oct 12, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #484 of 6,983
You are right! It is an obstacle course!!! I guess I have been lucky, I bought several Sansa Fuze (the original with the aluminum case) many years ago and they have been amazing. Summer, Winter, sweat, bugs, cutting lumber and felling logs, keeping me happily entertained along with my Westone UM3 Pros. I wish Sansa still made those. Won't do high res or much of anything else but are great for 16/44 and just keep on playing and playing. I have high hopes of finding something in a more up to date really great sounding DAP but am afraid you are correct, it just may not exist. But I am very careful with my Sansa Fuze's, using them today as every day, so maybe I am not that hard on my players and there is something that will be rugged enough for me? I will look into the Hidiz AP80, thank you!
With reasonable care and using the case that comes with the DX160, there is no reason it wouldn't hold up. The 4.4 jack is a real Pentaconn jack and the jacks are sell secured. I have had the DX160 apart and even under the hardened glass back, that I flexed and pulled on as I heated it to get it off, is a stainless steel plate that screws into place. The sound will be some of the best you can get, regardless of price. So IMO, with reasonable care, the DX160 would hold up just fine.

Oct 14, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #487 of 6,983
dx160's USB DAC feature is suitable for playing rhythm or fps games?
cuz, one of the things that matter in purchasing a DAP is the delay-free USB DAC feature.
My DX150 doesn't have any noticeable delay in audio and I use it as a USB DAC for games, so I guess DX160 would be the same.

Oct 14, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #488 of 6,983
dx160's USB DAC feature is suitable for playing rhythm or fps games?

Most if not all USB DACs are functionally sound cards. If you need to virtualize several channels extra in games, this can be easily done via software, at least on PC machines. Can't say much about consoles, whether it's possible on them.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 14, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #489 of 6,983
With reasonable care and using the case that comes with the DX160, there is no reason it wouldn't hold up. The 4.4 jack is a real Pentaconn jack and the jacks are sell secured. I have had the DX160 apart and even under the hardened glass back, that I flexed and pulled on as I heated it to get it off, is a stainless steel plate that screws into place. The sound will be some of the best you can get, regardless of price. So IMO, with reasonable care, the DX160 would hold up just fine.

Thanks Jamato, that is good to know. Seems like the Pentaconn jack should be sturdier. And the fact the DX160 has a hardened glass back and is built on a stainless steel plate means iBasso is trying to make it pretty durable. I spend a lot of time listening and really appreciate great sound quality so the DX160 may be a good choice, really appreciate your advice.

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #490 of 6,983
Hi all! I'm relatively new... I've always read the forum but never subscribed until yesterday.
I've ordered the iBasso DX160 with iBasso IT01S, both Blue! I Always had black items... This time I chose blue, I hope I don't regret it. The IT01S blue are wonderful and hope they sound even better than they look.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #491 of 6,983
Hello all. I am very excited about this dap. Currently using pioneer xdp-300r from ACG balanced. Can someone describe the sq difference between onkyo dp-x1/pioneer xdp-300r and dx160? Does it have such a vast and spheral sound stage like Onkyo/Pioneer? Im only interested in sq impressions: bass, midrange, trebles, soundstage- deepness, width, hight, positioning, imaging etc. Thank you in advance.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:39 AM Post #492 of 6,983
I'll let you know my impressions about sq asap. I did preorder from Italy, so I think I have to wait some days for the delivery.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #493 of 6,983
I'll let you know my impressions about sq asap. I did preorder from Italy, so I think I have to wait some days for the delivery.

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #494 of 6,983
From witch store in Italy?

Oct 15, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #495 of 6,983
I didn't find an italian store sadly... I had to preorder from UK, more precisely from Amp3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back