iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Sep 28, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #346 of 6,983
On my FiiO M9 Spotify runs OK with songs at 320kbps OGG size, whilst streaming over WiFi. BUT it does run sluggishly particularly starting up, although once it starts it sounds great. How does Spotify run on the iBasso DX160 at it's 320kbps rate? Does it seem fairly instantaneous?

Don't have Spotify premium, though do use free version which is handicapped with ads delay, thus can't tell you on this one. But Qobuz streams fine, no delays here. As a matter of fact, I was doing a little comparison, playing the same 16bit/44.1k track locally in Mango app (flac file) and then streaming the same track on Qobuz (hi-res 16b/44.1k quality) - just to compare the sound quality of local flac playback vs streaming on DX160, and to my ears it's nearly identical.

ibasso_dx160-x02.jpg ibasso_dx160-x03.jpg

Sep 28, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #347 of 6,983
Don't have Spotify premium, though do use free version which is handicapped with ads delay, thus can't tell you on this one. But Qobuz streams fine, no delays here. As a matter of fact, I was doing a little comparison, playing the same 16bit/44.1k track locally in Mango app (flac file) and then streaming the same track on Qobuz (hi-res 16b/44.1k quality) - just to compare the sound quality of local flac playback vs streaming on DX160, and to my ears it's nearly identical.

I guess I am trying to move up from the FiiO M9 because it only has 1GB of Ram. Generally it is fine to use and sounds good, but it's slowness is obvious. The M11 has 3GB (I think), but it is too expensive for me, but the iBasso DX160 has 2GB and a great screen size. Here in the UK with a good offer, from a good retailer, the DX160 was too good to miss. The one thing that would make me think about it would be if any of you thought it was too slow. It's clear the sound quality is great so how does it perform screen wise and general speed wise?
Thank's for the reply as well.

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #349 of 6,983
Sep 28, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #350 of 6,983
All that has been said about the DX160 makes it seriously enticing. Right when I thought I could stop buying audio gear a little while.

Just one question, can I use the DX160 as a wireless dac? Something like Hibylink or FiiOlink

Sep 28, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #351 of 6,983

The second one's the Qobuz stream, right? Kinda wish the Mango player adopted the album art for the background in a similar fashion. It looks better than the solid blue, in my opinion.

Sep 29, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #352 of 6,983
If the app is bit perfect then there should be no issue. We have found that some apps needed to update in order to work correct (in the past). It will be up to the 3rd party app and some have updated and there is no issue.

How can we confirm if spotify or tidal is in bit perfect?

I am specifically interested to know if dx220 can use spotify in bit perfect?

Sep 29, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #353 of 6,983
By any chance, did you install any app that could be draining battery that fast? Otherwise, I think something could be wrong with your unit. Been using DX160 mostly for streaming in the last few days. From 4.4mm, wifi on, using Qobuz, streaming hi-res files with periodic screen on/off, and running virtual volume widget on top - I'm getting on average 8-9% battery drop per hr. Will do full charge and battery drain to zero tomorrow, to see how long it will last.

Based on what I'm hearing, DX160 has a very wide soundstage, even a little wider than DX220 w/amp1mk2, and also the sound of DX160 is more reference quality, even more transparent in comparison to DX220 with its stock amp. Another noticeable difference, tested with Andros and Solaris, and I can't hear any hissing even when idling or playing with volume down to zero, while with DX220 there is a slight "waterfall". A few people asked me how DX160 stacks up against M11 and R5, and based on what I'm hearing DX160 has improved dynamics and layering, and wider soundstage. Actually, DX160 more reference tonality kind of reminds me of LPGT.

So if someone likes more coloured sound and more musical better go with dx220?

Sep 29, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #354 of 6,983
It's time to write something about DX160 :)

If a DAP was done right both hardware and software wise, its sound quality is more subject of personal preferences, regardless of price difference. It is especially applicable to devices made by iBasso, because they always try to squeeze the maximum, and are limited only by the final cost set. DX200 was huge step forward. DX150 was cheaper, but I know many people who prefer it over DX200. DX220 is considered as an improvement over both for no surprise, but now we have DX160 after DX220...

Soon you'll see comprehensive reviews, and I'm not the person who writes them. It is well known that @Paul - iBasso sends me new devices for free, and I'm free to choose the one to listen to. For a long time it was DX200CuAu #13 with either its AMP1CuAu, or, recently, with AMP9. DX160 has impressed me as much that I think it will make DX200CuAu to retire. It impressed me out of the box, without burning in. Impressed as much that, unlike with DX150 and DX220 (when I simply re-used the experience from DX200 firmware), I decided to spend some days for making it even better... as I believe :)

So, here it is: add-on for DX160 firmware version 1.00.055 (which I found out of the box).
Highlights:
  • Google Play Market.
  • Less power consumption during music playback.
  • New: Performance tweak for most popular music players (Neutron, UAPP, Tidal, Spotify).
  • New: Mango OS (taken from DX220, there are some restrictions).
  • New: based on Magisk 19.3, which is more efficient than older versions.
  • Full list of changes is here.
It does not void you warranty. I provide a way to revert back to the official firmware, if you decide to. Come on and give it a try!

Oh woow ) now mango os to nice one.

Can you please confirm does spotify or tidal play in bit perfect via your fw ? And does dx160 or dx220 without your fw can play those streaming apps with bit perfect?

Impressive to see how nicely dx160 happens to sound. I wonder how it compares vs my wm1z +ba300s oriolus.

Probably dx160 can match well with ier-z1r.

Sep 29, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #355 of 6,983
Sep 30, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #358 of 6,983
I don't use online streaming services.

I understand it just that you mentioned that you improved those apps in your firmware so I thought you might know if its bit perfect or not )

Sep 30, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #359 of 6,983
I've updated the add-on for firmware 1.00.055 to 1.22b2. The changes are:
  • Mango OS updated from DX220 firmware 1.13.202.
  • Less annoying Magisk Manager stub.
  • Unneeded Android services are stopped at boot time (WAP SMS Push, Printer, Firmware update).

Sep 30, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #360 of 6,983
release date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back