iBasso DX160 - The listening experience only gets better and better. ******NEW FW 1.09 - link 1st page.******
Dec 17, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #1,936 of 6,983
Helloo, i have been on the lookout for a new DAP, and chose 2 DAPs which stand on opposite ends of the spectrum regarding the price, DX160 & N6ii. Though DX160 costs way less than N6ii, does N6ii justify the premium over DX160 in terms of SQ? I know N6ii will be more fluid in terms of UI due to its Snapdragon. Presently i am going to use Fearless s8f. I use few streaming services frequently too, so looking to get a DAP that streams too. My present DAP is Shanling M2x.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #1,937 of 6,983
Amazon Music on the PC only runs through the Windows audio mixer.
are you serious?

Amazon needs to implement WASAPI/ASIO so that the app can bypass the Windows mixer and send bit-perfect sound to your DAC.
If this is a windows application and not a web service, this is just sheer incompetence and Amazon needs to get some DSP engineers on staff ASAP. Unreal.

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,938 of 6,983
Helloo, i have been on the lookout for a new DAP, and chose 2 DAPs which stand on opposite ends of the spectrum regarding the price, DX160 & N6ii. Though DX160 costs way less than N6ii, does N6ii justify the premium over DX160 in terms of SQ? I know N6ii will be more fluid in terms of UI due to its Snapdragon. Presently i am going to use Fearless s8f. I use few streaming services frequently too, so looking to get a DAP that streams too. My present DAP is Shanling M2x.
I will definitely expect your impressions in sound quality on the DX160 and N6ii, I'm very curious to know how much difference there is between the two

Dec 18, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,939 of 6,983
I will definitely expect your impressions in sound quality on the DX160 and N6ii, I'm very curious to know how much difference there is between the two

The DX160 is not that far off actually but then again it's insane value for money and the law of diminishing returns does apply... this being said the N6ii even more than the DX220 is a platform (DAC and AMP change) so we can see how this will take you further. The E01 card with A and AB discrete amplification circuit is a good example of how far the N6ii will take you and the future could see yet other implementations that allow to just change the card and refresh your DAP with different AMPs and DACs.

DX160 is clearer sounding and more neutral especially than A01, but textures, authority and resolution go to the N6ii and it's even more apparent with the T01 card. Musicality is just as good though and aside from very critical listen the gap is not what many would think it is.

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #1,940 of 6,983
The DX160 is not that far off actually but then again it's insane value for money and the law of diminishing returns does apply... this being said the N6ii even more than the DX220 is a platform (DAC and AMP change) so we can see how this will take you further. The E01 card with A and AB discrete amplification circuit is a good example of how far the N6ii will take you and the future could see yet other implementations that allow to just change the card and refresh your DAP with different AMPs and DACs.

DX160 is clearer sounding and more neutral especially than A01, but textures, authority and resolution go to the N6ii and it's even more apparent with the T01 card. Musicality is just as good though and aside from very critical listen the gap is not what many would think it is.
This would make all the DAPs more interesting, being able to change the battery as a module would also be a dream come true for me, I guess it will never happen

Dec 18, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #1,941 of 6,983

a few questions about N6ii.

Is it easy to replace battery ?

What about scratched screen ?

How much is each Motherboard ? You can call it a Card or whatever. But I think I am seeing it as a Box which contains screens + battery. Motherboard is modular in design. This is what putting me off from looking into the N6ii. What is the meaning of replacing the motherboard of the battery goes up in smoke and the screen is scratched

the comparison above Vs dx160. Are they considered to be in the same pricing bracket ?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #1,942 of 6,983
a few questions about N6ii.
Is it easy to replace battery ?
What about scratched screen ?
How much is each Motherboard ? You can call it a Card or whatever. But I think I am seeing it as a Box which contains screens + battery. Motherboard is modular in design. This is what putting me off from looking into the N6ii. What is the meaning of replacing the motherboard of the battery goes up in smoke and the screen is scratched
the comparison above Vs dx160. Are they considered to be in the same pricing bracket ?

Obviously they're not in the same price bracket :)
Still @Cat Music 's question is interesting.

I don't know honestly about battery replacement. Need to ask on the Cayin thread. Scratched screen isn't it the same problem as any DAP? Motherboard prices vary between 300 and 400 (E01 9038 Pro DAC with dual A and AB amplification). There are downsides to any design and the N6ii is highly integrated yet I think it's a very interesting idea to have motherboards and be able to switch DAC as well as amps...

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,943 of 6,983

I don't know honestly about battery replacement. Need to ask on the Cayin thread. Scratched screen isn't it the same problem as any DAP? Motherboard prices vary between 300 and 400 (E01 9038 Pro DAC with dual A and AB amplification). There are downsides to any design and the N6ii is highly integrated yet I think it's a very interesting idea to have motherboards and be able to switch DAC as well as amps...
I bought an upgradeable dac once from Enlightened Audio. The processing board was replaceable. Great! I contacted them to make sure of availability and how long it would be kept as an updated dac and they said, for a very long time, actually they said it would always be as that was the purpose. About a year and a half went by and I thought, good time to try and update. Nope, they no longer made the update boards and there was no way to update my dac. I was pissed.

Also things change, power management gets improved, batteries improve, screens improve so if you are going to pay all that money, IMO, may as well just buy a new all complete DAP with all the latest updates.

Dec 18, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #1,944 of 6,983

I meant with scratched or broken screen, it would be a reason or excuse to replace the whole DaP instead...so, 1 year from now, if you scratched the screen, you may want to spend up to $1000 and buy a whole new DAP which has new screen, new battery and new motherboard ? Instead of spending $300-400 for just the board itself where as battery and screen remain used. Does that make sense ?

I also don’t think N6 II can be swapping amp module alone. It gotta be the whole board which has DaC and Amps together. I could be wrong as I don’t look much into it as I stopped looking since I don’t see the point of having a Chassis with built in screen and battery but replacing everything else

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #1,945 of 6,983
Hi,

I got my DX160 this week and I am not able to connect it to my MacBook Pro and also not to my Windows 7 PC. I have installed the latest driver/firmware and tested two different cables but I always get "Unknown Device" in Windows. Anyone with a hint what can be done?

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #1,946 of 6,983
Hi, I got my DX160 this week and I am not able to connect it to my MacBook Pro and also not to my Windows 7 PC. I have installed the latest driver/firmware and tested two different cables but I always get "Unknown Device" in Windows. Anyone with a hint what can be done?

Drivers?
All that should be needed is Android File Transfer...

Dec 20, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #1,947 of 6,983
Hi,

I got my DX160 this week and I am not able to connect it to my MacBook Pro and also not to my Windows 7 PC. I have installed the latest driver/firmware and tested two different cables but I always get "Unknown Device" in Windows. Anyone with a hint what can be done?

did you try another USB-C cable?

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #1,950 of 6,983
Ok..fixed it. Did not know that I have to adapt the USB settings. Now I can see the device in MAC and Windows Thanks!

this one?

3BC6007C-2B6D-46B1-AC35-C147F2E0C255.jpeg

for others future reference,
If so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back