iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Jul 11, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #2,703 of 3,129
Jul 11, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #2,704 of 3,129
Has anyone tried AMP9 with Lurker firmware v2.11.93 and does the amp work with it?

NOT the add-on (latest of which I am successfully running) but the full? firmware mod for DX150 that adds Mango OS along with the other mods.

I did the iBasso 1.04 update for AMP9 then installed the add-on but (pls correct me if wrong) I believe Lurker's full firmware will overwrite those.

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #2,705 of 3,129
AFAIK, starting from AMP2, they require support at the kernel driver level, to provide required power. Type of the amp is detected at boot. That's why it is not good to hot swap amps, and old firmware can't provide correct voltage. Even if it will not damage an amp, it will not work as intended.

Jul 11, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,706 of 3,129
AFAIK, starting from AMP2, they require support at the kernel driver level, to provide required power. Type of the amp is detected at boot. That's why it is not good to hot swap amps, and old firmware can't provide correct voltage. Even if it will not damage an amp, it will not work as intended.

Any plans to update v2.11.93 (or a new version) for AMP9 compatibility?

Jul 15, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #2,707 of 3,129
Thanks to @WindowsX and @Lurker0 for the free mods and for their work optimizing devices like these.

I'd been running Lurker's add-on for a few days and decided to try Fidelizer (which I also run on my PC and DX100/R10; all free/unpaid versions). I noticed it was recently updated and is now based on v1.04 which supports AMP9. After some trial and error this weekend, I finally got it up and running. Had to make sure the player was connected to my PC when disabling Verity in order for the firmware flash to work. Didn't do that properly on first attempt and my DX150 got stuck looping at the boot-up screen. So I reflashed (via Androidtool) to iBasso's Android O Beta rom then installed the v1.04 update via sd card before successfully flashing to Fidelizer.

I wasn't expecting to hear much difference but Fidelizer definitely sounds better imo. Not a huge difference but using my Senn HD630VB with the DX159, I immediately noticed greater extension, slightly wider soundstage, a bit better separation, and improved decay.

Both roms bring numerous optimizations but there's no Play Store built-in the Fidelizer rom so I think of it more as designed for improved sound quality while Lurker's mod adds more convenience. Having the Play Store gave me the ability to run several other music apps (Poweramp, UAPP, Neutron) but none of them sounded as good as Mango player imo. I suspect (by design) the Mango app has greater access to the player's hardware so I started using it exclusively.

Fidelizer also adds the DX220's version of Mango Player which has an improved UI. You can 'open' both Mango players separately and both sound the same imo but the DX220 version seems to take priority. Once it's open the DX150's nav buttons no longer work with its stock Mango app (which might crash). For now I just use the DX220 app despite some of the obviously mismatched settings: DX150 only has low and high gain so 'medium' gain in the app now equals high. Filter settings also don't work so you'll need to change them under the player's Audio Settings.

Biggest disappointment (for me) is the parametric EQ in DX220 Mango doesn't seem to work. No surprise but I was hoping it would give me a stock EQ without the volume drop of the graphic EQ. Problem is, AMP9 is already running at 90% most of the time which makes the graphic EQ useless. Fortunately, the HD 630VB is a great pairing since it has high sensitivity, variable bass, and sounds great but shame the DX159 can't drive most of my other headphones. I could switch back to the more powerful stock AMP6 but I only took this latest DX plunge due to the AMP9 which does sound fantastic. Parametric EQ would obviously work on a real DX220 but I prefer AKM DAC chips over ESS not to mention the $400 higher price and fact that the AMP9 still wouldn't be any louder.

Update: I installed Lurker firmware on top of Fidelizer ROM. Parametric EQ in DX220 Mango app seems to be working now and on-screen controls in DX220 Mango are much more responsive (where very finicky with Fidelizer only). Physical play/pause button still gets hijacked by DX220 Mango; have to force stop the app to get button working again with DX150 Mango. Can't disable either app so may have use DX220 Mango exclusively.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #2,708 of 3,129
It is written in the list of changes by iBasso. Why do you doubt it?

Sorry didn't mean to be casting doubt. I just remember reading someone mentioning having issues going from Lurker to iBasso latest OEM firmware so I assumed it was because the Lurker wasn't up-to-date yet. Happy to hear the latest firmware is AMP9 ready, I'm very happy with your work and very much appreciate your on-going efforts. Did not mean to offend.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #2,709 of 3,129
Think I may have bricked my device by accident while trying to install one of Lurker's firmware.

Could anybody help me? Was updating my DX150 to 8.1 then wanted to flash Lurker's firmware for PureMango. Did the "hold on Play" then connect cable to PC step.

Saw "no other devices", coming out instead as rockchip devicce. Pulled the cable by accident and my DX150 is unable to turn on since.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #2,710 of 3,129
Saw "no other devices", coming out instead as rockchip devicce. Pulled the cable by accident and my DX150 is unable to turn on since.
Most probably it is still in Loader mode. Press and hold Power button for 10+ seconds, then release. It turns DX150 off in any case.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #2,711 of 3,129
Most probably it is still in Loader mode. Press and hold Power button for 10+ seconds, then release. It turns DX150 off in any case.
Thank You! That did the trick.

Another question, I had the latest official firmware with your add on prior to trying to flash your firmware. Is it recommended to reset my device before I try flashing the firmware or can I proceed straight ahead?

Jul 19, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #2,712 of 3,129
Is it recommended to reset my device before I try flashing the firmware or can I proceed straight ahead?
I reset my device only for tests. It is not required. Moreover, both OTA updates and my firmware builds and add-on are especially designed to apply over, keeping user settings and data.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #2,713 of 3,129
I reset my device only for tests. It is not required. Moreover, both OTA updates and my firmware builds and add-on are especially designed to apply over, keeping user settings and data.
How many successes should I be waiting for? I had about 20 then I stopped the process because I thought it was just repeating the same installation 20 times.

DX150 really bricking now tried your get off loader mode trick and its not working.

Jul 19, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #2,714 of 3,129
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some help. I purchased a "USB Type C to Micro USB Cable" so I can connect the Chord Mojo to the DX150. Problem is when it's connected, I'm getting crackly sound. Using the same cable between a Samsung Galaxy S9 and Mojo works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back