iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #2,686 of 3,129
Thanks, I just tried all of these steps, but the AMP9 still does not power on.
The only other thing I can think of is to use the Android Tool to reinstall the first Android 8.1 firmware and then update with the card to the latest firmware. The Android Tool is on our Download site (www.ibasso.com). You can use the Beta 8.1 download. It has the Android Tool and the .img firmware that is used with the Android Tool. Also the USB/DAC Driver for Windows has to be loaded on the Windows computer using this. If this doesn't work then we will replace your AMP9.

You can email me at paul@ibasso.com.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #2,687 of 3,129
Just a question regarding the latest DX150 update.This question directed at Paul.
Is there any benefit to anyone updating to the latest firmware if they aren't intending to purchase an Amp 9. I have always wondered when firmware updates are posted why they don't list what the improvements or changes are so the user can determine if to update or not.Often an update might not be needed by every user especially when they aren't informed as to the details.

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #2,688 of 3,129
Just a question regarding the latest DX150 update.This question directed at Paul.
Is there any benefit to anyone updating to the latest firmware if they aren't intending to purchase an Amp 9. I have always wondered when firmware updates are posted why they don't list what the improvements or changes are so the user can determine if to update or not.Often an update might not be needed by every user especially when they aren't informed as to the details.

I have just updated to the latest firmware. I don't see any major changes, maybe there are some, if so I haven't noticed them. If you are happy with your device don't change anything, I don't think you will gain any difference in sound quality.

Personally I update 2 or 3 times a year and do a factory reset every time. I don't notice any big difference I just like to have a "clean" device. I did the same when I had the DX200. It's a relatively easy process if you know what to do.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,690 of 3,129
Finally installed the AMP9 last night after burning-in the player with stock amp for about 20hrs. Listened to a few songs then continued the burn-in process (now with AMP9) overnight.

Initial impression is iBasso did an excellent job implementing the Nutube into such a small space. Thankfully, their amp module has just enough room to make this possible and gives many more audiophiles a chance to hear this modern tube tech.

The Nutube lights up green (instead of the bluish-green of my NT-1 amp) a few seconds after pressing play. There's a brief delay until audio starts playing and same happens if music is paused for longer than a few seconds. The tube lights also turn off after a while if no music is playing, perhaps to save battery life.

Sound-wise (so far), the AMP9 has the detail, clarity, separation, spaciousness, etc I anticipated. Won't go into too much detail (or comparisons) until I get several more hours on it though.

One thing I did note, as some others mentioned, is the AMP9's low power output. Can't say I was surprised since my Oriolus NT-1 amp is also a bit underpowered but it certainly has enough juice for most of my non-planer, over-ear phones. Not sure if player firmware needs another tweak or if this is simply due to size constraints. I only used Android Mango so can't confirm if Mango OS will be different until @Lurker0 (hopefully) releases another DX150 add-on that's compatible with iBasso's latest firmware. On high gain and close to max volume, my HD598 and Sony Z7 lacked sufficient volume for a number of albums. Switching to the 18 ohm Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, it performed better but I was still on high gain and well over 100 volume so no way there's enough headroom to work with many full-size headphones. Gets even worse once EQ is enabled since it drops volume further in Mango app.

I don't use IEMs but I imagine the AMP9 may be a better pairing for those. Also no way to measure my personal listening levels vs others' but (last time I measured using an SPL meter app) mine peaked at about 85dB.

Jul 5, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #2,691 of 3,129
Jul 5, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #2,692 of 3,129
@Lurker0 is your add-on for the DX150 compatible with latest iBasso firmware 1.04.47?

I installed 1.04 so I could use the AMP9 and now I'd like add the tweaks you made for Mango OS, Play Store, etc.
Well, the description said so right? Yes, it works well, currently I’m using the add-on

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #2,694 of 3,129
Well, the description said so right? Yes, it works well, currently I’m using the add-on

Didn't mean to cause any issues. Coming from a DX100/R10, these later DX mods are new to me and was just being cautious not to brick a new DX150.

Problem was (for me at least), Lurker00's front github page shows a link for DX150-firmware from 11 months ago(?). Tried searching the thread but, until I just now checked repositories, I wasn't aware the add-on is different. Guess I'll have to wait to try Mango OS.

Trying the sd update now.....

Jul 7, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #2,695 of 3,129
Does someone know if dx150's usb-C is USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 or USB 3.1 ?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #2,696 of 3,129
The only other thing I can think of is to use the Android Tool to reinstall the first Android 8.1 firmware and then update with the card to the latest firmware. The Android Tool is on our Download site (www.ibasso.com). You can use the Beta 8.1 download. It has the Android Tool and the .img firmware that is used with the Android Tool. Also the USB/DAC Driver for Windows has to be loaded on the Windows computer using this. If this doesn't work then we will replace your AMP9.

You can email me at paul@ibasso.com.

Thanks again for your help. I had to try multiple times to get the Android Tool to work, but I did eventually get the latest firmware installed and my AMP9 works now.

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #2,699 of 3,129
Ok thank you

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #2,700 of 3,129
Guys, i need your help. I broke off a whole chunk of 2.5mm INSIDE the port :frowning2:. I managed to get RRS out, so what is left in there must be just the tip piece. But it's really IN THERE, any hope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back