iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,006 of 3,129
So, AMP7 3.5mm TRS with line out and AMP8 4.4 TRRRS no line out and not a limited run.

I'm thinking add the 1+5.
Thanks

Well, remember. You didn't ask what my favorite amp is. That would be AMP4. But the most versatile, in my mind, is one that does both balanced and non-balanced, and has a decent amount of power. I agree with George, that more power would increase versatility, so that you could drive any headphone. But there isn't one amp that does everything. So you have to choose what areas you need most. If you don't plan on going balanced, then I would certainly say AMP5 is the best choice. But if you need the option to run single-ended or balanced at the drop of a hat, then you need AMP1 or AMP6.

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,007 of 3,129
Well, remember. You didn't ask what my favorite amp is. That would be AMP4. But the most versatile, in my mind, is one that does both balanced and non-balanced, and has a decent amount of power. I agree with George, that more power would increase versatility, so that you could drive any headphone. But there isn't one amp that does everything. So you have to choose what areas you need most. If you don't plan on going balanced, then I would certainly say AMP5 is the best choice. But if you need the option to run single-ended or balanced at the drop of a hat, then you need AMP1 or AMP6.

Pinky has a great point, and I actually think that his answer for AMP 6 is really well placed for this is the DX 150 thread, and it comes ex-factory with AMP 6 :)

My definition of versatility has a bit to suffer when it comes to balanced simply because only very few headphones and IEMs come with balanced, even flagships, so I tend to be way less focused on the Balanced part unless something is Balanced only, like AMP4.

On that note, AMP4 is quite amazing, Pinky knows his music, the only real downside I see to it is that the 4.4mm balanced conection is rare, so much that I only have HD660S coming with it ex-factory. Happily, I also have some cheap but well-working balanced cables, like those from MEE Audio, which also have 4.4mm.

In all honesty, I personally find 4.4mm balanced to be far superior to 2.5mm balanced, more reliable, sturdier and much much safer.

Jun 5, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #1,008 of 3,129
I notice ibasso recommend burning in. Has anyone noticed a difference after doing this?

Jun 5, 2018 at 4:35 AM Post #1,009 of 3,129
Pinky has a great point, and I actually think that his answer for AMP 6 is really well placed for this is the DX 150 thread, and it comes ex-factory with AMP 6 :)

My definition of versatility has a bit to suffer when it comes to balanced simply because only very few headphones and IEMs come with balanced, even flagships, so I tend to be way less focused on the Balanced part unless something is Balanced only, like AMP4.

On that note, AMP4 is quite amazing, Pinky knows his music, the only real downside I see to it is that the 4.4mm balanced conection is rare, so much that I only have HD660S coming with it ex-factory. Happily, I also have some cheap but well-working balanced cables, like those from MEE Audio, which also have 4.4mm.

In all honesty, I personally find 4.4mm balanced to be far superior to 2.5mm balanced, more reliable, sturdier and much much safer.

George, 4.4 included cable with ie800S will be a match made in heaven for you!

Jun 5, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #1,011 of 3,129
Does the Ibasso dx150 play music from USB memory sticks and external hard drives (OTG media)?

Thanks

Nice avatar!

20180605_114045.jpg

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #1,012 of 3,129
Nice avatar!

The picture that you've posted is looking cool with the prism's reflection on your Legend X.
Look, another purchase (Ibasso dx-150) based on your YouTube review yesterday. Your reviews hurt my wallet :grimacing:.

I plan to audition the Legend X at the CamJam London in July. Hopefully they don't need a custom cable as I've heard that the stock cable is very nice. Your views please?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #1,013 of 3,129
The picture that you've posted is looking cool with the prism's reflection on your Legend X.
Look, another purchase (Ibasso dx-150) based on your YouTube review yesterday. Your reviews hurt my wallet :grimacing:.

I plan to audition the Legend X at the CamJam London in July. Hopefully they don't need a custom cable as I've heard that the stock cable is very nice. Your views please?

That is my favorite pic ever :)
The stock cable is great. No need for another unless you need to spend more money. Pairs perfectly with the DX150. Bring your 150 to London and try the Legend with your new DX150 :)

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #1,015 of 3,129
Just realised there's an Amp 4 and AMP 4s

Whats the difference between the two?

They are theoretically the same, but Amp 4 was the first iteration of the 4.4mm balanced amp, which was a limited run. Amp 4s is the second iteration of the 4.4mm balanced amp, also a limited run and a slightly different implementation based on what I have read.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #1,016 of 3,129
Just realised there's an Amp 4 and AMP 4s

Whats the difference between the two?

I own the AMP4s but I haven't heard the AMP4.
However, the feedback on these threads seems to be that the AMP4 is superior to the AMP4s.
AMP4, if I recall correctly resembles AMP3 but with a bit more of an audiophile reference sound signature (more transparent, detailed, bigger soundstage and separation).
I'm sure others with direct experience can chime in, but 'reading between the lines' of various impressions, that's the feeling I got.

AMP4s reminds me a bit of AMP6, in that it seems slightly more v-shaped and warm.
I've gone back to using my AMP3 to be honest. I might do a kind of A/B test between them at some point.
Or maybe just stick with the AMP3 lol.

In any case, this discussion is a bit like me talking about which of 2 superheroes would win a fight.
Since there are approximately zero AMP4 for sale and only marginally more AMP4s, it's a kind of hypothetical discussion :D

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #1,018 of 3,129
i really would appreciate if someone can post a video of dx150 using tidal, as i want to see the user experience

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #1,019 of 3,129
When you guys refer to the DAPs battery life in "sleep mode" a couple pages back, what exactly did you mean by this? Were you referring to just tapping the power button and turning the screen off, is that "sleep mode" or were you talking about going into the settings all the way on the right and scheduling a timed sleep mode? Trying to get more battery life out of the device when I am done using it in my car for instance and throw it in my backpack for the night, without fully powering the device down and back on again the next morning. As it is right now, I feel like I will lose 10-20% a night which isn't terrible, but sometimes it feels like it loses more battery than other times.

Also, that picture with the reflection on the IEMs is an extremely nice picture, but I looked up those IEMs and What??!?! I can only dream of one day being able to afford a pair of IEMs like that. I just can't help but wonder (as I have no where to really try anything) how much of a difference or improvement does moving up to something like that REALLY make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back