iBasso DX150. Dual dacs and interchangeable AMPs. **NEW Firmware that supports AMP9! ** New FIRMWARE 1.05 Dec 30.
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #1,262 of 3,129
Man I’m so on the fence about getting amp 8 for my DX150...hmmmmm.

Wondering how it will sound with the IT04’s.

Edit .... well that lasted about an hour and I caved and bought Amp 8 :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,263 of 3,129
Man I’m so on the fence about getting amp 8 for my DX150...hmmmmm.

Wondering how it will sound with the IT04’s.

Edit .... well that lasted about an hour and I caved and bought Amp 8 :beyersmile:

Hehe.. resistance is futile :D

Jul 7, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #1,266 of 3,129
My Crapsung Note 8 on Exynos has got AptX, so that one doesn't stick. I guess it's all about the costs of all the necessary certificates and stuff. As far as I know, AptX/AptX HD is just a codec but the bt modem has to be compatible with it.
So is it's a crapsung get rid of it. It's not all codec but hardware also.

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #1,268 of 3,129
Different DAC, sound will not be completely same.
But Amps are compatible with each.
I've owned both at the same time and the sound is very similar. I sold the DX200 and kept the DX150. IMO the difference is very small.

I just got the AMP8 and it is way too boomy in the bass department. I hope a burnin will calm that down. If not it's going back to iBasso.

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #1,269 of 3,129
I've owned both at the same time and the sound is very similar. I sold the DX200 and kept the DX150. IMO the difference is very small.

I just got the AMP8 and it is way too boomy in the bass department. I hope a burnin will calm that down. If not it's going back to iBasso.

What are you pairing it with ? Because that is pretty extreme, and is totally opposite of what I hear from Amp8+200+800S. Good thing Ibasso has 14 days!!

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,270 of 3,129

I'm not an expert on these matters, but my understanding is that capacitors generally change the way they influence the sound signature after a hefty burn-in period; 100-300 hours.
The AMP8 is full of high quality capacitors, and previous iBasso products (both AMP and IEM) have shown something of a pattern of an slightly strong or untamed bass, that subsequently settles down beautifully after burn-in.
I'd focus on burning it in as much as possible in the next 10 days or so, before looking into a refund.
Of course, everyone's taste varies, so even if it changes, it may still not be to your taste :)

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #1,271 of 3,129
I'm not an expert on these matters, but my understanding is that capacitors generally change the way they influence the sound signature after a hefty burn-in period; 100-300 hours.
The AMP8 is full of high quality capacitors, and previous iBasso products (both AMP and IEM) have shown something of a pattern of an slightly strong or untamed bass, that subsequently settles down beautifully after burn-in.
I'd focus on burning it in as much as possible in the next 10 days or so, before looking into a refund.
Of course, everyone's taste varies, so even if it changes, it may still not be to your taste :)
Even without burn-in, the bass is not boomy. But I agree about burn in, it will need at least 300 hours in general

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,273 of 3,129
The AMP8 brings out the bass but not in an unnatural way. I do have some recordings that it is too strong on but it is the recording and I notice that the better the amp from my Zotl2 desktop to better daps, it is there. I love the way bass guitar sounds natural and vibrant with AMP8. About the best I have heard. And, I can't stand overdone bass. I have some otherwise excellent jazz recordings that I don't listen to because they miked the bass too close. Jerks, they ruined the recording, IMO. I don't use EQ because then it throws off other instruments that may hit low.

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #1,274 of 3,129
Call for beta testers!
Firmware build 2.10.275-L1 with the following changes:
  1. Mango OS mode. Exactly like in DX200.
  2. An attempt to decrease power consumption in suspend mode (Android).
Please note:
  • DF settings in Mango are exactly as in DX200! In DX150, only first 5 items have sense.
  • #2 was already tested on different devices of 5 users, and caused no problems. But it may cause hangs on resume on some particular devices. That's why a call for more testers before a release.
Those who want participate, please PM me!

Jul 8, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #1,275 of 3,129
I've only had my DX150 for a few weeks and have recently had a couple of odd experiences.

1. Last week I pushed the power button to turn on my screen and nothing happened. I'm certain my device was on I had not tired it off and had used it a little while before. Had to press and hold the power button to for a reboot.

2. I used the optical out with my iDSD Micro black lake. After disconnecting the DX150 from the iDSD the DX150 audio jack have garbled audio. Had to reboot to correct.

3. Yesterday, went to turn on the screen by pressing the power button and got this screen:
20180707_201227.jpg

Again a reboot fixed it, but I'm not feeling very confident in my new DAP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back