iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Dec 16, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #1,968 of 2,153
Did you notice a difference in the battery or sound ?

the sound is like i said before ( i forgot what pages they are ), they are more sweet to my ears ( a bit less bright & added more low ( i love a good quality bass ), from battery life i notice some what effects on running time, maybe more less... i'm got my eyes on dx300, perhaps if my budged fits then i jump neat year, if not then the new hiby r6 got my attention. who knows...

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #1,969 of 2,153
the sound is like i said before ( i forgot what pages they are ), they are more sweet to my ears ( a bit less bright & added more low ( i love a good quality bass ), from battery life i notice some what effects on running time, maybe more less... i'm got my eyes on dx300, perhaps if my budged fits then i jump neat year, if not then the new hiby r6 got my attention. who knows...
Gotcha, I can’t bring myself to spend that which will be make very little if any perceivable difference...i really like the AK chip in it. The DX120 sounds pretty good already, so much so I bought a Sanskrit with a AK4495 dac in it for my desktop setup. The DX300 is too much, I would sooner put that towards some nice speakers or a better pair of headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,970 of 2,153
This DAP is over 2 years old now, so I wonder if iBasso has any plans to release a new non-Android pure music DAP.

I would love if iBasso would release something like a DX140 upgrade to this, that has an upgraded design closer to the DX160/DX300, keeping it with non-Android and 2 micro SD card slots, and a 4.4 balanced rather than 2.5. @Paul - iBasso can you confirm if something like that is in the works?

The DX200 was introduced in Dec 2015, the DX220 was introduced Jan 2019, just over 3 years later, and now the DX300 was introduced in Dec 2020, just under 2 years later. The DX150 was introduced in March 2018, the DX160 was introduced Aug 2019, just about 1.5 years later. So it seems about time to release an upgrade to the DX120.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #1,971 of 2,153
This DAP is over 2 years old now, so I wonder if iBasso has any plans to release a new non-Android pure music DAP.

I would love if iBasso would release something like a DX140 upgrade to this, that has an upgraded design closer to the DX160/DX300, keeping it with non-Android and 2 micro SD card slots, and a 4.4 balanced rather than 2.5. @Paul - iBasso can you confirm if something like that is in the works?

The DX200 was introduced in Dec 2015, the DX220 was introduced Jan 2019, just over 3 years later, and now the DX300 was introduced in Dec 2020, just under 2 years later. The DX150 was introduced in March 2018, the DX160 was introduced Aug 2019, just about 1.5 years later. So it seems about time to release an upgrade to the DX120.
NOOO! that would mean i would have to spend money

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #1,972 of 2,153
After the discussion over the last few days, I reinstalled the fidelizer rom and apart from the irritating blank screen on startup, it does seem to sound more musical and sweet but it is difficult to tell, anyway i am leaving it installed.

d

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #1,973 of 2,153
After the discussion over the last few days, I reinstalled the fidelizer rom and apart from the irritating blank screen on startup, it does seem to sound more musical and sweet but it is difficult to tell, anyway i am leaving it installed.

d

no, for my ears very easily to tell the difference between stock & fidelizer one, less analitical & bright and got a more low ends, i love it!

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,977 of 2,153
Do you think iBasso DX120 would be an upgrade over FiiO BTR5 in USB DAC mode and balanced output?

And would it drive even more demanding over-ear headphones like a Senn HD 600 and Hifiman Sundara well?

I can get one that is a few months old and in perfect condition for € 150.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,978 of 2,153
Do you think iBasso DX120 would be an upgrade over FiiO BTR5 in USB DAC mode and balanced output?

And would it drive even more demanding over-ear headphones like a Senn HD 600 and Hifiman Sundara well?

I can get one that is a few months old and in perfect condition for € 150.

That's hard to say, technically two DAC's in the FIIO are superior since there are two but it depends on how they are implemented. They will sound different most likely, i feel that FIIO has some great hardware but they just stuff it in there without taking the time to actually implement as best as possible...i think its a little deceiving and mostly a marketing ploy just by stuffing the better hardware in there. Better hardware means better performance and sound right? Wrong!. The DX120 though has an annoying issue in DAC mode if you don't have slow and reference filters selected it will sound like crap, to my knowledge they haven't fixed it yet. The fact is that the DX120 has way more power (400mw vs 240mw) which is going to be a determining factor. My 400i's are driven well from my DX120, i do mostly use them at my desk though out of little dot i+.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,979 of 2,153
That's hard to say, technically two DAC's in the FIIO are superior since there are two but it depends on how they are implemented. They will sound different most likely, i feel that FIIO has some great hardware but they just stuff it in there without taking the time to actually implement as best as possible...i think its a little deceiving and mostly a marketing ploy just by stuffing the better hardware in there. Better hardware means better performance and sound right? Wrong!. The DX120 though has an annoying issue in DAC mode if you don't have slow and reference filters selected it will sound like crap, to my knowledge they haven't fixed it yet. The fact is that the DX120 has way more power (400mw vs 240mw) which is going to be a determining factor. My 400i's are driven well from my DX120, i do mostly use them at my desk though out of little dot i+.
In fact, it also attracted me a lot for having almost double the power ...

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,980 of 2,153
In fact, it also attracted me a lot for having almost double the power ...
i would go with the DX120 personally to drive your headphones, since it had more power. It will drive your 600's but i think a little more power yet still would be more ideal. You may be better off with a small standalone DAC and separate headphone amp if you are not looking for a portable unit? I love the Sanskrit S10 DAC, i did and A-B between that and my DX120 and i couldn't tell a difference. The Sanskrit is an AKM4493 DAC while the DX120 is a AKM4495...so i guess that shouldn't be surprising.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back