iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #1,936 of 2,153
I have issues but managed to get it working. The DX120 is very picky with cables so you can try that first even though the cable worked on my phone. It also didn't play well with my new AMD Ryzen 3700x build, I beleive the issue was with AMD's usb drivers though. I ended up getting a SMSL Sanskrit S10 with the AK4493 DAC instead hooked up to my little dot at home...I did some side by side comparisons to the DX120 using the same amp and they sound identical ...which is a good thing. I was mostly tired of having to choose to charge the DX120 or have it in DAC mode. I still use DAC mode at work though. I believe I also uninstalled the drivers a bunch of times and tried different USB ports, front and back. To this day there are still some.ports that work with the DX120 and others that don't, I honestly think it's a AMD issue though
Thanks, I appreciate the info!

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,937 of 2,153
Hi, is anyone having trouble with their DX120 being recognized in Windows 10? At home, my media computer still running Win7 (yes, it's an old computer) but I have no trouble accessing the file library on the SD card (for downloading and deleting files). On Monday at work I tried plugging the DX120 into my work computer (Win10) and it wouldn't recognize it. It charges, so I don't think it's a problem with the cable or port, but at times (not always) I get a message saying that device plugged in can't be recognized by Windows. I've tried different USB port with no change. Today I tried a factory reset (with the SD card out) and that didn't change the outcome either. I've even tried downloading the DAC Windows driver, though I don't plan to use it for a DAC, but that didn't do anything either.

I'm in contact with iBasso customer service but so far they have only give me basic suggestions such as change USB port/cable

Any suggestions?

1st the stock cable is no good, i'm using baseus brand and never had issue with it.
2nd make sure the usb option set to file transfer within the dx120 setting.

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,938 of 2,153
1st the stock cable is no good, i'm using baseus brand and never had issue with it.

+1 on the baseus brand, also for some reason when the DX120 is in DAC mode it has to be in super slow filter mode before selecting DAC. If its not it drastically rolls of the mids/highs sounding muffled, i believe this is a bug in the XMOS drivers that was never fixed. I dont believe these are Ibasso drivers, im 99% sure its by XMOS.

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #1,939 of 2,153
Per your suggestion I tried a different cable yesterday and that did the trick! But it was actually the original cable that worked. At work I only had a generic cable that I mostly use to charge or transfer files to my phone. This cable allows the DX120 to charge but I guess not to transfer data? (though I believe I had used it before to transfer data to DX120, but not sure). I brought the original cable from home to my work computer and it worked with no problems. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #1,940 of 2,153
Per your suggestion I tried a different cable yesterday and that did the trick! But it was actually the original cable that worked. At work I only had a generic cable that I mostly use to charge or transfer files to my phone. This cable allows the DX120 to charge but I guess not to transfer data? (though I believe I had used it before to transfer data to DX120, but not sure). I brought the original cable from home to my work computer and it worked with no problems. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

some cable just use to charge only, before u get one make sure it say data transfer.i got my baseus tipe c at promotion sale just about 2usd if my currency set to usd.

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #1,941 of 2,153
Loving the sound and UI of this DAP so far. This is classy AF. :couplekiss:

DSC_0652_result.jpg
Is the dx120 reliable like Sony? I can't make up my mind between this one and the walkman A55. I usually take good care of my devices so I wouldn't have any issue making them last for 5 years. My problem is I've heard the battery dies in about 2-3 years. That's half the time I had my old sony a17, in fact I hand it over to my cousin and it still works perfectly.

Can I expect such reliability from ibasso?

Sep 21, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,942 of 2,153
Is the dx120 reliable like Sony? I can't make up my mind between this one and the walkman A55. I usually take good care of my devices so I wouldn't have any issue making them last for 5 years. My problem is I've heard the battery dies in about 2-3 years. That's half the time I had my old sony a17, in fact I hand it over to my cousin and it still works perfectly.

Can I expect such reliability from ibasso?

I use my DX120 daily and the only major issue i had was with the battery, i charged it off a wall USB port in mexico and the battery developed a bulge and wouldn't hold a charge. Bottom line, dont charge with cheap chargers also, I think you will find any device that has a lithium battery will need to be changed in 2-3 years anyways. The batteries are easy to replace though, far easier than any cell phone. One other issue is from dropping, so now i have a black blotch on the screen. This device is pretty heavy and encased in metal with a glass screen, and the screen does not absorb shock very well. So a substantial drop while it didn't break the screen it shocked it and created a blotch. I could get a replacement screen but its doesn't affect the usability so i skipped it and i just use it as it is. If the DX120 had plastic internals it would have likely been fine. It really does have a high quality and substantial feel to it.

Go with the sony if you have Bluetooth headphones and/or speakers that you want to use. Also if you prioritize extreme portability for running or sports and a stellar battery life you could also go for the sony. Keep in mind the power it puts out is pretty pathetic and will struggle to drive even some IEM's, but will definitely drive IEMs designed to work with cell phones. To be honest i dont really expect the sony to sound better than a cell phone, but i could be wrong.

Go with the DX120 if you have a massive library of music (two SD card slots), plan on using it with harder to driver IEM's or over ear headphones because there is substantially more power than the sony that is not even fair to compare. Also go with the Ibasso if you are more concerned with sound quality over portability or extreme battery life. Even at 16 Hours the DX120 will more than get you through a day of listening. I've not heard the sony but i venture to guess its not using a high end hardware DAC since they didnt even advertise which one is used. I would assume it does not have a dedicated DAC judging by how well the battery life is on the sony. Furthermore, the power output on the SONY is about the same as a cell phone which wont drive some headphones to their full potential, so with the DX120 you have a ton of possible headphones you can take with you on the go.

I think these two devices are marketed at different consumers. The DX120 is marketed at the budget minded audiophile that is tired of the cell phone audio quality and/or their cell phone does not have the power to drive their selected headphone. The DX120 allows the listening to disconnect from everything and just enjoy the music. Its designed to power some high end headphones...and in fact will NOT work with headphones that feature an in-line remote or mic (without an adapter) Really the DX120 will only satisfy a niche market of buyers.

The Sony is marketed to the consumer masses, its a replacement for the cell phone... to provide better portability, battery life and disconnecting to enjoy interruption free listening. Its really geared for the same basic headphones most consumer would buy to use with their cell phones.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #1,943 of 2,153
I use my DX120 daily and the only major issue i had was with the battery, i charged it off a wall USB port in mexico and the battery developed a bulge and wouldn't hold a charge. Bottom line, dont charge with cheap chargers also, I think you will find any device that has a lithium battery will need to be changed in 2-3 years anyways. The batteries are easy to replace though, far easier than any cell phone. One other issue is from dropping, so now i have a black blotch on the screen. This device is pretty heavy and encased in metal with a glass screen, and the screen does not absorb shock very well. So a substantial drop while it didn't break the screen it shocked it and created a blotch. I could get a replacement screen but its doesn't affect the usability so i skipped it and i just use it as it is. If the DX120 had plastic internals it would have likely been fine. It really does have a high quality and substantial feel to it.

Go with the sony if you have Bluetooth headphones and/or speakers that you want to use. Also if you prioritize extreme portability for running or sports and a stellar battery life you could also go for the sony. Keep in mind the power it puts out is pretty pathetic and will struggle to drive even some IEM's, but will definitely drive IEMs designed to work with cell phones. To be honest i dont really expect the sony to sound better than a cell phone, but i could be wrong.

Go with the DX120 if you have a massive library of music (two SD card slots), plan on using it with harder to driver IEM's or over ear headphones because there is substantially more power than the sony that is not even fair to compare. Also go with the Ibasso if you are more concerned with sound quality over portability or extreme battery life. Even at 16 Hours the DX120 will more than get you through a day of listening. I've not heard the sony but i venture to guess its not using a high end hardware DAC since they didnt even advertise which one is used. I would assume it does not have a dedicated DAC judging by how well the battery life is on the sony. Furthermore, the power output on the SONY is about the same as a cell phone which wont drive some headphones to their full potential, so with the DX120 you have a ton of possible headphones you can take with you on the go.

I think these two devices are marketed at different consumers. The DX120 is marketed at the budget minded audiophile that is tired of the cell phone audio quality and/or their cell phone does not have the power to drive their selected headphone. The DX120 allows the listening to disconnect from everything and just enjoy the music. Its designed to power some high end headphones...and in fact will NOT work with headphones that feature an in-line remote or mic (without an adapter) Really the DX120 will only satisfy a niche market of buyers.

The Sony is marketed to the consumer masses, its a replacement for the cell phone... to provide better portability, battery life and disconnecting to enjoy interruption free listening. Its really geared for the same basic headphones most consumer would buy to use with their cell phones.
Thanks for your answer!

I'm all about wired iems. Don't really care about bluetooth or wifi. I was referring specifically about reliability because as I told you, I've had the A17 for quite sometime without any issues at all.

I'm an "entry" level audiophile. These are my iems which I got about a month ago:
Tin Hifi T2
Etymotic Er2xr
KZS10 pro
Shure se215
My o my source is a Fiio M2X

I'm not planning to buy anything else since I've been having a lot of expenses. I'm taking care of my mothers meds besides my apartment and my girlfriend lost her job weeks ago. So there's that....

Anyway, I want my dap to last at least 3-4 years without problems, like I said I really take care of my electronics, specially the battery which we know it can present some problems. I'll charge it according the sellers recommendations.

Id never really tried the Sony A55, but it'll be useless to get it if it sounds "slightly better" than any smartphone.

Thanks for helping me out bro.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #1,944 of 2,153

Thanks for your answer!

I'm all about wired iems. Don't really care about bluetooth or wifi. I was referring specifically about reliability because as I told you, I've had the A17 for quite sometime without any issues at all.

I'm an "entry" level audiophile. These are my iems which I got about a month ago:
Tin Hifi T2
Etymotic Er2xr
KZS10 pro
Shure se215

I'm not planning to buy anything else since I've been having a lot of expenses. I'm taking care of my mothers meds besides my apartment and my girlfriend lost her job weeks ago. So there's that....

Anyway, I want my dap to last at least 3-4 years without problems, like I said I really take care of my electronics, specially the battery which we know it can present some problems. I'll charge it according the sellers recommendations.

Id never really tried the Sony A55, but it'll be useless to get it if it sounds "slightly better" than any smartphone.

Thanks for helping me out bro

I have another question, sorry for being so paranoid, I'm a logistic engineer, preparedness is part of my everyday routine.....

If I make up my mind, I'd order it from Amazon. How reliable are those retailers? I'm kinda concerned about the warranty... I've asked them some questions but they won't answer back.

Where can I get it from in case they don't make this work? Where can I purchase the battery in case I need it?

Once again, thanks for your time. And sorry for being so paranoid.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,945 of 2,153
Thanks for your answer!

Tin Hifi T2
Etymotic Er2xr
KZS10 pro
Shure se215

Thanks for helping me out bro

I have another question, sorry for being so paranoid, I'm a logistic engineer, preparedness is part of my everyday routine.....

If I make up my mind, I'd order it from Amazon. How reliable are those retailers? I'm kinda concerned about the warranty... I've asked them some questions but they won't answer back.

Where can I get it from in case they don't make this work? Where can I purchase the battery in case I need it?

Once again, thanks for your time. And sorry for being so paranoid.

I bought mine direct from ibasso but if you can get it from Amazon, that would be the way to go. I'm not saying the Sony is not better than a cell phone as I haven't heard it myself but on paper I don't see how it could be better. I'm really only saying that because like a cell phone the Sony is most likely not using a dedicated high end hardware DAC...this would of course depend on your phone. Pretty much all manufacturers that use High end DACS wil lol advertise the crap out of it because it's a selling feature. Based on your headphones the DX120 will pair well with them. Back to your original question, I haven't had any reliability issues with the DX120 that was not the cause of my own doing (charging with cheaper Mexico usb port without protection, dropping on a concrete floor).

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,946 of 2,153
I bought mine direct from ibasso but if you can get it from Amazon, that would be the way to go. I'm not saying the Sony is not better than a cell phone as I haven't heard it myself but on paper I don't see how it could be better. I'm really only saying that because like a cell phone the Sony is most likely not using a dedicated high end hardware DAC...this would of course depend on your phone. Pretty much all manufacturers that use High end DACS wil lol advertise the crap out of it because it's a selling feature. Based on your headphones the DX120 will pair well with them. Back to your original question, I haven't had any reliability issues with the DX120 that was not the cause of my own doing (charging with cheaper Mexico usb port without protection, dropping on a concrete floor).
Thank you so much for your help. I'll check the Amazon retailer's reliability.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #1,947 of 2,153

sorry for your mom & gf man. well i use my dx120 daily & get it 1 1/2 years ago, one time i dropped on concrete tile and make a mark on it, so far the battery still normal and don't worry about ibasso aftersales, just shout to paul here and he'll be all ears. unlike sonys aftersales in my country where you have to make a threads just to get your gadged to fix on warranty.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #1,948 of 2,153
sorry for your mom & gf man. well i use my dx120 daily & get it 1 1/2 years ago, one time i dropped on concrete tile and make a mark on it, so far the battery still normal and don't worry about ibasso aftersales, just shout to paul here and he'll be all ears. unlike sonys aftersales in my country where you have to make a threads just to get your gadged to fix on warranty.

Thanks man. We'll be alright just need to cut unnecessary expenses. (Good audio is completely necessary)

All my research came up with 2 options.
DX120- Slightly better UI, cheaper, straight from ibasso
Plenue D2- Better battery, amazon,

From what I've read they have different sound signature, but they're both remarkable for the price.

They both share outstanding build quality and capable enough to power high impedance headphones.

Take good care of yourself. We're living crazy times.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,950 of 2,153
How has it been so far? Did you have any other issue. Is the battery still holding up?

Yeah if there is one thing I would change about the dx120 is the buttons. I'm not a huge fan of how recessed they are especially on the faux leather case. I really do prefer a potentiometer for the volume rather than digital buttons, however that would take away from the sleek look and also add to the cost. The unit is all about sound quality on a budget after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back