iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Feb 18, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #1,906 of 2,153
My dx120's battery swelled up and the back cover began to lift. I wrote to Penon Audio and they would take care of the battery change, but the problem is that the national shipping service in my country does not allow sending electronic products and the only way I have to do it is by a private shipping service like DHL , Ups or Fedex which charge me between $ 150 and $ 200 shipping to Hong Kong! There is no way to spend that amount to send the ibasso.

Please, I need someone to tell me what battery I should buy. I have the dx120 9 months ago and it is not possible for me to have such problems as soon as I have unwrapped $ 300. I would definitely not buy any ibasso products in the future, I have a terrible experience.

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #1,908 of 2,153
I've been enjoying the iBasso DX120 for some time now, but I know at some point it's going to stop working (battery or something else). Knowing how good the DX120 sounds, does anyone have a recommendation for any other dual SD dap that sounds at least as good (subjective I know, but I'm asking for your opinions).

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #1,909 of 2,153
I've been enjoying the iBasso DX120 for some time now, but I know at some point it's going to stop working (battery or something else). Knowing how good the DX120 sounds, does anyone have a recommendation for any other dual SD dap that sounds at least as good (subjective I know, but I'm asking for your opinions).

There really is none that i found that sound this good with the features it has..a single SD slot is a deal breaker for me. Seriously guys the only major issue with the player is the battery and the screen, i had a battery issue but they are cheap from Ibasso and can be changed in 10 minutes by yourself. I have a blotch on my screen that i've learned to live with, its because i dropped it and dont feel like spending $80 a new screen. Dont drop it! lol because im telling you the screen does not like shock...its less durable than a cell phone screen.

Interestingly enough my battery swelled and failed to hold a charge when i took it to Mexico, i used one of those USB receptacles in the walls, DONT DO THIS EITHER! You should be using a proper fast charger that is certified, like Samsung, LG Ect....if you cant charge it from a USB port from the computer. Bought a battery from Ibasso when i was back and changed it in 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,910 of 2,153
My dx120's battery swelled up and the back cover began to lift. I wrote to Penon Audio and they would take care of the battery change, but the problem is that the national shipping service in my country does not allow sending electronic products and the only way I have to do it is by a private shipping service like DHL , Ups or Fedex which charge me between $ 150 and $ 200 shipping to Hong Kong! There is no way to spend that amount to send the ibasso.

Please, I need someone to tell me what battery I should buy. I have the dx120 9 months ago and it is not possible for me to have such problems as soon as I have unwrapped $ 300. I would definitely not buy any ibasso products in the future, I have a terrible experience.

Regards,
Juan Luis.

Talk to Ibasso, their customer service is the best in the business so not sure how you had a terrible experience if you didnt even contact them. More than likely you charged the player a few too many times with a cheap charger, i did the same and battery eventually swelled and wouldn't hold a charge. The batteries are dirty cheap from ibasso, and very easy to change. In the future if you dont have a quality charger, use your computer USB port. I Suspect i will have my player for a long time yet aside from changing the battery every other year.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #1,911 of 2,153
Talk to Ibasso, their customer service is the best in the business so not sure how you had a terrible experience if you didnt even contact them. More than likely you charged the player a few too many times with a cheap charger, i did the same and battery eventually swelled and wouldn't hold a charge. The batteries are dirty cheap from ibasso, and very easy to change. In the future if you dont have a quality charger, use your computer USB port. I Suspect i will have my player for a long time yet aside from changing the battery every other year.

They never told me which battery to buy and how to open it to make the change. Finally, I traded it for a friend's dragonfly red, who wanted to take the risk of changing the ibasso's battery. I would definitely not buy an ibasso player again.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #1,912 of 2,153
They never told me which battery to buy and how to open it to make the change. Finally, I traded it for a friend's dragonfly red, who wanted to take the risk of changing the ibasso's battery. I would definitely not buy an ibasso player again.
You should have talked to Paul, your friend just made off with a perfectly good player lol.

For anyone that is interested:

On ebay you can pickup a cellphone repair tool kit for the iphone, it comes with the suction cup for $5. remove the two screws, use the section cup on a corner to remove the back glass. There is a small ribbon cable attached to the back glass and the main board, you need to use a small knife or screwdriver to lift the pastic retainer bar up and allow the ribbon cable to slide out. Use a flat metal paint scraper to slowly remove the battery from the back glass, install the new battery and plug it in. When installing the back cover, use extreme caution...you should not have to force the glass back into place. Start by putting the top section in first, use the guitar pick that came with phone repair kit to push the plastic clips on the side and a the bottom so they move into the aluminum body of the player. Work your way all around the player until each plastic clip is pushed into the body of the player, install the two screws when you're done. Thats it, honestly its one of the easiest things to take apart compared to a cellphone, im also sure that any cell phone repair place would cost significantly less than shipping back to China if you were not comfortable. its not Ibasso's fault that DHL is garbage to deal with hits you up with brokerage again on a now used product with ZERO sales tax on top of inordinate shipping costs to begin with.

One more note, if you shatter the back glass because you tried to force it or severed the ribbon cable by mishandling. Ibasso sells the back piece all in one for the cost of a single screen protector, it makes me wonder why bother even applying a screen protector at all on the back. My suggestion is to take the device apart before you place your order that way can order the back glass in case you need it, or just order it anyways and keep it as a spare as i did.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #1,913 of 2,153
I'm sorry to hear JuanLuis91 about your DX120 experience. I've had mine since summer 2019 and have had no problems so far (knock on wood...). I do have noticed that some chargers make the battery warmer than others so I hope my continues to work for a long time.

trivium911, that's very useful information thank you for sharing it with the forum. If something does happen to the DX120's battery, then this will be the first post I will look for.

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #1,914 of 2,153
Samething happened to my DX120. Nothing ever went bad with my old Cowon J3 (still working), or my Fiio X5 iii, or my Fiio M7, and so far my Hiby R5 is perfect. I am a senior with shaky hands and wouldn't be able to do the self repair, and the cost of shipping it back is too expensive. End result for me is that I think Ibasso's QC sucks. I loved my DX120, but because of this, I don't think will by their daps ever again.

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,915 of 2,153
Samething happened to my DX120. Nothing ever went bad with my old Cowon J3 (still working), or my Fiio X5 iii, or my Fiio M7, and so far my Hiby R5 is perfect. I am a senior with shaky hands and wouldn't be able to do the self repair, and the cost of shipping it back is too expensive. End result for me is that I think Ibasso's QC sucks. I loved my DX120, but because of this, I don't think will by their daps ever again.

I dont think Ibasso's QC department is to blame, they did not manufacturer the batteries... someone did it for them. They would have no way of knowing that batteries would fail in less than a year. They will fix it but its the consumers responsibility to ship it there, which i think is fair. Its highly likely they got a bad batch of batteries maybe by saving some money...who knows they could be discussing switching manufacturers right now. I know they cheaped out on the screen aswell, the screens cant take any shock damage. At the end of the day we are getting a premium sounding product for a very reasonable price, they had to cheap out in some areas to make this thing affordable. As a result we just need to be a little more careful while using it and charging it because the battery is sensitive. Personally, i charge the device to 90% and never discharge past 20% unless absolutely necessary. I use a smart wall charger and calculate that using an approved fast charger will yield 0.833% per minute of charging. Say the device is at 20% and i want 90%, (70%/0.833) comes to 84 Minutes of fast charging. I do this with my IPADS aswell, as i want the batteries to last as long as possible. Im not saying this is necessary, as im convinced that if we simply all used approved name chargers with our DX120's, we would have no issues. Furthermore, the device is not designed to be dropped like cell phones are so we should be treating it like the fine piece of engineering it is. Remember when we dropped the old Ipods with the hard drives and they stopped working?

Off topic but here is another example:
If i go out and buy a Ferrari im going to take care of it and get it professionally detailed every time. Corvette owners are complaining about getting water in their brand new mid engine C8 Corvettes and are worried about structural rust. Than stop taking the car to the touchless car wash and get it detailed properly like Ferrari owners do. The car performs like a ferrari, has a mid engine, styled like a supercar...just because it cost's the same as your average high end consumer vehicle... 25% of the ferrari's cost, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it the same treatment the ferrari would get. Im sure there are also trouble spots that GM had to cheap out on to provide 90% of a ferrari experience, these are areas the owners will have to give extra care and attention to.

Yes im sticking up for Ibasso only because they are pioneering a new product and they are trying to offer what no one else has. The device sounds much better than it should given its price and thats what the device was marketed for. Regarding the repair, for those who are not comfortable taking the device apart im sure a cell phone repair place would swap the battery for dirt cheap.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,916 of 2,153
But they take those batteries made by some other company and install them in their players, then they do QC on them. My player quit working properly after only about 3-4 months. I say it's the fault of the battery manufacturer as well as Ibasso's QC. I'm pretty sure Fiio and Hiby have some other company make their batteries and like I said in my previous post, it didn't happen with them.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,917 of 2,153
But they take those batteries made by some other company and install them in their players, then they do QC on them. My player quit working properly after only about 3-4 months. I say it's the fault of the battery manufacturer as well as Ibasso's QC. I'm pretty sure Fiio and Hiby have some other company make their batteries and like I said in my previous post, it didn't happen with them.
Can happen to anyone. And I have a FiiO player that the battery failed. Big deal it happens, happens to Samsung, Apple etc. Had a number of battery fails on Apple computers over the years. Batteries made by the best, still can have issues. This isn't iBasso, it is just what can happen when batteries are used.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,919 of 2,153
So your response is "Big deal it happens". I am very happy you are not a manufacturers representative, or at least I hope so. I'm out of here, it's way past my bed time.
Right. Stuff happens, it is part of life. I have a couple of very fine Swiss watches, one has been sent in 3 times. Stuff happens and we move on. Get it fixed and move on. I am sure iBasso would help you on this, it is what they do.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #1,920 of 2,153
So your response is "Big deal it happens". I am very happy you are not a manufacturers representative, or at least I hope so. I'm out of here, it's way past my bed time.

Our point is unless Ibasso tests each unit they sell for 6 months (using it daily), how would their QC department be able to tell that the battery is going to fail? Furthermore at that point it would be a used product which would garner even more complaining. Bottom line is batteries typically only have a warranty for one year, its because pretty much after that point they dont have a whole lot of life left... if any depending on how you charge it. There are so many factors such as discharge/Charge %, temperature, whether or not you do frequent top ups to 100% when its not necessary. If you are topping up when its not necessary, i can guarantee you will kill the battery very quickly, especially with fast charging as it creates extra heat. I would recommend not fast charging if you are going to charge to 100%, unless you are really in a hurry.

Im just trying to get everyone to look at this realistically...this battery issue is an unrealistic expectation on Ibasso. No one complains about cell phone batteries, because people replace their cell phones every year or two before it becomes a major problem....and you know what? Cell phone companies make a killing on the profit margin. Most people dont upgrade their DAP's every year like a cell phone, so how is Ibasso expected to stay in business and provide new and improved products if they have to pay shipping and replace everyone's battery for free every year. Cell phone companies make sales figures and Ibasso has to replace batteries every year at their expense, How does that sales model work? Im surprised we even have companies that provide products to satisfy such a niche market...so we should really be grateful for companies like Ibasso for their innovation in the market.

Furthermore of all the Chinese products that i have bought and sold, Ibasso stood by their products the most and offered the best customer service. Fiio ignored me multiple times for example, so by all means if you want to buy their stuff go ahead if you think the grass is greener. Ibasso has no legal obligation to even respond which is likely why Fiio didnt...did you know you cannot start a lawsuit against a chinese company? For that you are in part suing the Chinese Government....good luck with that. Other than Ibasso's reputation they have no other incentive to even respond, but yet they still do and are eager to help with issues.

Yet after all that, here we are where Ibasso still offers to replace the battery for free and pay for return shipping. They are honoring their 1 year warranty you just have to pay shipping to them. How is it Ibasso's problem that shipping to them is $150, thats not fair at all to blame them. They are in business to share their passion with us but they also have to show a profit...Lets get real gentlemen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back