iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Dec 10, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #1,846 of 2,153
I should have mentioned that I hardly ever use my phone to run music. I live in a third world country and am paranoid about having as much spare battery time on my phone as possible for emergency situations such as earthquakes, typhoons etc.. The main music difference is I can run harder to drive earphones/headphones on my DX120 that I can't on my M7.

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #1,848 of 2,153
I'm looking for a player to use on the go for my wired iems (iBasso IT01's/RevoNext QT2/Tin Audio T2) but not sure which would be hard to drive.

The player would also be used with an amp in the house to drive a pair of Monolith M1060's.

Too many toys and too many options to play with them!!

Ps I've found a cheap enough FiiO M9 for £120. Would this be comparable to the DX120? I've pretty much conceded that I'll not find a DX120 locally for less than £170.

Hi @j0nb0y,

None of your IEMs are hard to drive by an means, in fact, depending on how loud you listen to music, you may even have to turn the volume down.
In this case, your source quality & recording quality will make more of a difference between IEMs.

Between the DX 120 & the M9, subjectively & personally, I would still choose the DX 120 unless you needed Bluetooth &/or wireless than I would get the M7 instead or just use the BTR 3 or BTR 5 with Cowon Plenue D.
The PD, subjectively & personally, sound almost identical to DX 120, with the PD being slightly cleaner & slightly lower noise floor though your mileage will vary.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #1,851 of 2,153
I bought the M9. I guess I've forfeit some things in the DX120 but I couldn't turn down a brand new M9 for £120 and the fact Tidal has a 5 month Hifi trial on right now for £5 (total)! That'll go well with the M9

Thanks guys!

Now on to an amp purchase....

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #1,852 of 2,153
Yesterday I ran my DX120 for 12.5 hrs on low gain and single ended to test battery duration. The 120 was still playing after 12.5 hrs although battery indicator showed battery empty. I put it on the charger over night and today it's dead. I plugged it back on the charger and turned the power button back on, and it said "Charged"., I unplugged from charger and it still won't turn on. HELP!

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #1,855 of 2,153
Can someone tell me how good is the dx120 line out? I want to change a topping d10 for the dx120. I tried to use the line out of the Cayin N3 with a Atom Amp and just didn't sound good as the topping d10.

Dec 16, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #1,856 of 2,153
Can someone tell me how good is the dx120 line out? I want to change a topping d10 for the dx120. I tried to use the line out of the Cayin N3 with a Atom Amp and just didn't sound good as the topping d10.

@LordZero,

The DX 120 line out is as good as any other line out though subjectively & personally, it is a touch noisy but then I am slightly sensitive to hiss & noise so I heard it more than others.

So when it comes down to it, it will depend on what you can hear, how you perceive sound, head shape, ear shape & size, ear canal shape & size, etc

Some gear also goes better with others, otherwise known as gear synergy so really when it comes down it, only you will know.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #1,857 of 2,153
Hello

A friend of mine lend me his dx120.
I thought that the transport via usb is implemented (i have the last firmware).
But when i connect my mojo or my iDSD micro BL via usb cable, the dx120 seems to freeze and wont read anything.
If i disconnect USB cable, it will read the files.

With the coaxial cable, it works.

Can someone have the same isssue ??

Thanks

Dec 22, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #1,858 of 2,153
I thought that the transport via usb is implemented (i have the last firmware).
But when i connect my mojo or my iDSD micro BL via usb cable, the dx120 seems to freeze and wont read anything.
If i disconnect USB cable, it will read the files.

With the coaxial cable, it works.

Can someone have the same isssue ??
I have the same problem with SMSL A6. If the player plays DSD, then it is transmitted only through the USB output. If the player plays PCM, then it is transmitted only through the coaxial output. But DSD and PCM the player plays through the line output.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #1,859 of 2,153
Thanks for your reponse. I will make further testing later.
I listen several times to the dx120 with my Earsonics VelvetV2 and I can't say if I like it or not.
Sometimes it greats on some tracks and poor or distrubing in another.
I want to know if Sound Mode and Filters are always available or it depends on the track format (Flac, Hi-res, DSD...). I don't hear any differences in sound mode and a little bit between some filters but not all.

thanks

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,860 of 2,153
Thanks for your reponse. I will make further testing later.
I listen several times to the dx120 with my Earsonics VelvetV2 and I can't say if I like it or not.
Sometimes it greats on some tracks and poor or distrubing in another.
I want to know if Sound Mode and Filters are always available or it depends on the track format (Flac, Hi-res, DSD...). I don't hear any differences in sound mode and a little bit between some filters but not all.

thanks

Thats interesting, sound filters work on every file format and they do change the sound. Not sure what you found disturbing but i think the device sounds excellent, anymore that cost's more or is higher end that i heard is impossible to tell the difference...once you get past a certain point you are just splitting hairs. Now the sound signature could be why but with all the different sound modes, i dont really think the DX120 has any actual signature since the filters all sound different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back