iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #827 of 2,153
Nov 13, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #829 of 2,153
I accept that as a given, but how do you access the DX120 ROM from the Menus available?

You can't modify the ROM other than flashing it with firmware tool, but you should ask the right people there I don't play with that :p

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #830 of 2,153
It has a ROM memory even if it doesn't have RAM, otherwise it couldn't run an OS...

Mine should be there in a couple of days :)
You made a good choice. It is a nice device. Use the 2.5mm output

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #831 of 2,153
You made a good choice. It is a nice device. Use the 2.5mm output

Yeah I wanted a second unit with a reference tuning for reviews, with good value for money and I'll sure use balanced :)

I'll get in just in time for my birthday :D

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #832 of 2,153
Yeah I wanted a second unit with a reference tuning for reviews, with good value for money and I'll sure use balanced :)

I'll get in just in time for my birthday :D
Happy early birthday!

Nov 13, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #833 of 2,153
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #835 of 2,153
So I have received my DX120 and let's say I am pretty happy about that little device :)
First of all kudos to iBasso for providing a premium package to an "entry" level DAP, this is as much of a nice unboxing experience as DX200.
Second, I have to salute the fantastic build as well, really stunning finish tight tolerances beautiful glass back that seems to be designed for stacking with small amps with the all flat surface.

Now off to sound, out of balanced this little gem packs a lot of power! I switched off to low gain and even then you have plenty of headroom.
I recognize the iBasso house sound there, nice bass impact and good control, extended highs, and articulate mids. All very musical, just one itch I have is the emphasis on the upper mids can take IEMs that never exhibited this some sibilance. This is all with reference sound mode, and the slower roll off default filter. Maybe burn in will help, I am talking out of the box there. So right now better pairing is with warmer IEMs that don't have too much upper mids emphasis like the Solaris. Phantom and VE8 do exhibit some sibilance on certain tracks.

This is something that can be tweaked so not a deal breaker.
This is tremendous value for money and audiophile on a budget could be 80% where the top dogs are for a quarter of the price :D
Impressive device with great form factor with high SQ, quick charge, good battery life, what else?

Note that I haven't upgraded the firmware so I'll do that.

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #836 of 2,153
Hi Paul.
(Thanks for the latest firmware update for the DX120.)

Just a reminder to please, please, please fix the 'A' and 'The' sorting issue when browsing through Albums and Artists. i.e. Remove 'A' and 'The' from the alphabet.
Also, when you browse by 'Artist' can you then make it sort by 'Album' before jumping straight to 'track name'.

Please and thank you.

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #837 of 2,153
Also, when you browse by 'Artist' can you then make it sort by 'Album' before jumping straight to 'track name

When I choose an Artist, I then see the albums by that artist.

Are your albums tagged correctly?

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #838 of 2,153
When I choose an Artist, I then see the albums by that artist.

Are your albums tagged correctly?
Definately tagging correctly. I'll check that again tonight.

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #839 of 2,153
Hmm I guessed it right but nowhere - unless I missed it - is there any clue as to which slot is slot 2 for firmware update... for reference this is the lower slot when the player is lying flat on its back.

Any changes to the signature between firmware?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #840 of 2,153
That is correct, the version above (and also the one I received below) will be finalized with one large opening between 3.5mm and 2.5mm ports to allow balanced cable plugs (without a step collar at the base of the connector) to go in all the way.

I like the look of the case, but I do not like built-in stands or belt hooks. Does this case have a built-in stand? Is there likely to be a UK Distributor, or do we have to purchase from America?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back