iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #511 of 2,153
Does anyone know of a company in the UK that modifies Headphones, other than Custom Cans?
Any help would be appreciated as I wish to modify Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro to dual entry. I have a DX120 and wish to use the Balanced output. I will be purchasing iBasso CB12s cable.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #512 of 2,153
Does anyone know of a company in the UK that modifies Headphones, other than Custom Cans?
Any help would be appreciated as I wish to modify Beyerdynamics DT 770 Pro to dual entry. I have a DX120 and wish to use the Balanced output. I will be purchasing iBasso CB12s cable.

If you find someone let me know please.! Got a few that need re-cabling :)

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #513 of 2,153
@Paul - iBasso
Hi Paul
Could you please confirm that the Sounds settings are working / on with the latest FW 2.1.20 (Reference, Natural, Classical) etc etc
Going through a track I am hearing Zero difference with each setting :/
There is a change but it is subtle. It is more noticeable with some monitors than others.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #514 of 2,153
There is a change but it is subtle. It is more noticeable with some monitors than others.

Thanks Paul - When there is a track playing, I don't hear an audible difference selecting the different sounds but i do with the digital filters. I did notice a change in the 3D imaging with one of them especially though. Actually had an almost mystical 3D imagining experience that Ive never had before o_0

Would it be possible to give guidelines about what these settings are and what they actually do, including the digital filters.
I do appreciate you may want us to listen and hear and experience for ourselves :) but its difficult to get a clear idea to begin with and with no guidelines
as to what the filters and sounds are designed to do Im finding it tricky to have a base to start from
Thanks Paul

I did find the following explanation from Twister's review.
Others might find also it useful . I would still love to hear from you with an explanation about them:

Digital Filter: Sharp Roll off, Sound Mode:

Original – close to neutral tuning with a tilt toward a little
brighter revealing tonality in upper mids/lower treble and a little
more emphasis in low-end impact with a nicely textured
extended rumble.

Classical – takes a little edge off the treble, taming down the
sparkle a bit, and gives you a feeling like the attack of the notes
envelope is a little slower (overall pace of the rhythm is a bit
slower).

Natural – in this mode I hear low-end and treble like in the
Original, but mids have a slightly different, more “natural”
smoother warmer tonality, especially a slightly fuller body in
lower mids.

Reference – just like the name says, this mode has a more
reference crisper sound, with a faster speed and a little colder
tonality.

Traditional – in this mode I hear mids being a little smoother,
fuller, and more forward, while treble is slightly smoother too.
Sound Mode:

Original, Digital Filters:

Sharp Roll off – as described in Original/Sharp-roll-off sound
description.

Slow Roll off – I hear the effect in mids, especially lower mids
having a little fuller body which creates a perception of the
sound being a little smoother and with a slower attack, and also
treble being a bit tamer. This reminds me a little bit of Classical
Sound Mode, just more subtle.

Short delay sharp roll off – I went back’n’forth multiple times,
comparing this to a regular Sharp Roll off filter, and to my ears I
only hear just slightly more rumble in the sub-bass.

Short delay slow roll off – in comparison to Slow Roll off, I still
hear mids with a little fuller body, but the bass is a little bit
faster now.

Super slow roll off – I hear smoother fuller body of the mids
and deeper sub-bass, making the sound a little more lush

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #515 of 2,153
A Warning about burn in :

Using the burn in cable @65 volume drained the battery in under 8 hours
But
Burning in using IEMs from HO only used only about 65% over night
(both from 16-44 Flac)
:)

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #517 of 2,153
Has anyone tried how far the battery could go?

100% to 0% you can get a good 14 - 15 hours as advertised. However, that is using 16-44 Flac and an IEM plugged in

The higher the bit depth & sample rate you go can also have an effect on battery as more processing is needed
Also the more impedance / more power a headphone needs to drive it to the levels you want can also sometimes take a lot of power from the battery
I suspect Line Out will drain the battery more than Headphone out?

From using the DX80 for a few years now I suspect that also turning the unit on/off - constantly moving from one album to another can
also drain the battery more quickly

Oct 4, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #518 of 2,153
CB12 contains silver plated wires. CB13 contains pure silver wires, and it is thicker.
I notice there is a CB12s. I know the basic difference is the extension allowing it to be connected to a 3.5mm fitting, but the general build appears to be better quality than the standard CB12. Will the CB12s connect to most detachable cable Headphone fittings?

Oct 4, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #519 of 2,153
Hello everyone i want to ask comparison dx120 vs pioneer XDP-300r because i using the pioneer xdp-300r before
but now the pioneer has sold
i don't use streaming app n bluetooth just for music player only

before i use xdp300r and now i want to buy dx120 recomended or not..???

thx u
GBU ^^.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #520 of 2,153
Hello everyone i want to ask comparison dx120 vs pioneer XDP-300r because i using the pioneer xdp-300r before
but now the pioneer has sold
i don't use streaming app n bluetooth just for music player only

before i use xdp300r and now i want to buy dx120 recomended or no..???

thx u
GBU ^^.

You can find Twister's review here. He has a very good ear. I think he did a great job with the review.
https://twister6.com/2018/09/15/ibasso-dx120/
I see that the pioneer used ESS Sabre dac. In comparison you may find the DX120 to be brighter, cleaner, more precise and detailed with a wider soundstage
Maybe quite a different over all tonality from the Pioneer.? I haven't heard the Pioneer
Whether that would suit your listening preferences only you would know
Looking at the Pioneer Its possible that the DX80 might have a more similar sound
Anyway, maybe someone who has both players will be able to give you are definite answer
There is no doubt though that the DX120 as with all iBasso DAP's is very very good

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #521 of 2,153
You can find Twister's review here. He has a very good ear. I think he did a great job with the review.
https://twister6.com/2018/09/15/ibasso-dx120/
I see that the pioneer used ESS Sabre dac. In comparison you may find the DX120 to be brighter, cleaner, more precise and detailed with a wider soundstage
Maybe quite a different over all tonality from the Pioneer.? I haven't heard the Pioneer
Whether that would suit your listening preferences only you would know
Looking at the Pioneer Its possible that the DX80 might have a more similar sound
Anyway, maybe someone who has both players will be able to give you are definite answer
There is no doubt though that the DX120 as with all iBasso DAP's is very very good

I've never listened to the dx80 but I've listened to the dx200 and I like it ..

Oct 4, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #522 of 2,153
I've never listened to the dx80 but I've listened to the dx200 and I like it ..

I stopped looking for DAPs after I bought my DX80. Unusual for me as I am very critical with my audio choices :)
Of course we all have different tastes butttt it is a superb DAP & would 100% recommend it with no caveats at all

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #524 of 2,153
I am the proud owner of a DX80. To anyone here who has played with both the DX80 and the DX120- How would you compare the two from an operational standpoint? How much quicker is it to move from folder to folder? Or for those that have a lot of songs, is there a significant difference in how quickly the 120 loads the All Music folder?

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #525 of 2,153
I am the proud owner of a DX80. To anyone here who has played with both the DX80 and the DX120- How would you compare the two from an operational standpoint? How much quicker is it to move from folder to folder? Or for those that have a lot of songs, is there a significant difference in how quickly the 120 loads the All Music folder?
I previously owned a DX90 and the loading of 2 x 400gb cards (virtually full) by the DX120 astounded me. Very, very fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back