iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Jun 9, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #1,486 of 2,153
I had some days with the DX120 now.

The feeling of the player itself is very good. The thick charging cable included is a really nice touch. The silicon case, however, is a bit of a let down.

I really like the sound, specifically with my AKG 550 Mark I. I only have to go to about 30.

Some things are annoying though.

1) There is a short click or plop after every track change, which annoys me quite a lot and might even bring me to send the DX120 back. Have to try gapless though... I am on FW 2.1.20 by the way.

2) The touch navigation is a bit sensitive. When navigating the directory of my card (scrolling), I often end up getting to the „playing screen“, having to swipe to the right again to get back to the folder view.

3) Charging with my iPhone XR charger and the supplied charging cable takes ages! Could someone in Germany or Europe maybe recommend a quick charger?

4) It would be a nice touch if line breaks were handled better (long artist names).

5) It would be great if one could scroll album artists instead of song artists.

Do you have recommendations for IEMs letting you use the DX120 with balanced cables (up to 150 EUR)?

Any comments and hints are appreciated.

spend a little more and buy the IT01s: it will be a perfect pairing with the DX-120!!

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #1,488 of 2,153
I have issue with balance cable. Im using 2.5 plug. When I plug it into dx120 my right side sometimes come out and not come out...is this cable issue or dap issue? I tried other 2.5 cable same issue.
But 3.5 is fine...

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,489 of 2,153
I got the DX-120 and I got the excellent Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b that people are raving about. The DX-120 has a balanced output and my MSR7b has an extra balanced cable (with a 4.4mm male jack so I'd need a $40USD adaptor). Anyway i just wonder how much difference using this extra balanced cables would really make and it it is worth buying that adaptor.

It iusing a balanced cable a real improvement that anyone can discern? Or is it a "I-think-I-can-hear-a-difference"... an imaginative, self-deception because you shelled out the money and want to believe the money wasn't wasted kind of difference?

One guy on the MSR7b forum said that all the hype over balanced cable sound quality is bull crap. He said balanced cables are only make sense when the cables are very long or in studios where many cables crisscross over each other.

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #1,492 of 2,153
I got the DX-120 and I got the excellent Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b that people are raving about. The DX-120 has a balanced output and my MSR7b has an extra balanced cable (with a 4.4mm male jack so I'd need a $40USD adaptor). Anyway i just wonder how much difference using this extra balanced cables would really make and it it is worth buying that adaptor.

It iusing a balanced cable a real improvement that anyone can discern? Or is it a "I-think-I-can-hear-a-difference"... an imaginative, self-deception because you shelled out the money and want to believe the money wasn't wasted kind of difference?

One guy on the MSR7b forum said that all the hype over balanced cable sound quality is bull ****. He said balanced cables are only make sense when the cables are very long or in studios where many cables crisscross over each other.

You can find 4.4 -> 2.5 adapters on AliExperss (or other places) cheaper than $40, I ordered from AE for less than $10.

Jun 13, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #1,494 of 2,153
I've been using balanced and unbalanced SE cables for 20yrs and comparing them. I can say without a doubt in my mind that the cable matters...as does the composition of the cable, the quality of the connections, and the amount of time of burn in for the cable itself. While this is hotly debated in the sound theory threads, I can only speak for myself when saying, yes I hear a difference between balanced and unbalanced SE.

Jun 14, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #1,495 of 2,153
I've been listening for at least as long as you, and I don't doubt your hearing differences. However, I believe as has been proven by frequency testing by Brooko that what your hearing is differences in impedance of the different cables. Frequency displays are not theories, they are fact.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,496 of 2,153
I've been listening for at least as long as you, and I don't doubt your hearing differences. However, I believe as has been proven by frequency testing by Brooko that what your hearing is differences in impedance of the different cables. Frequency displays are not theories, they are fact.

Brooko is neither a scientist nor a sound engineer. Of course you're entitled to believe what you want, however, I find it amusing when millions of people worldwide attest to something that thousands say isn't true...and it's automatically discarded as a myth.

Each to their own, enjoy the music.

Jun 14, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #1,497 of 2,153
so a frequency graph that proves it, is a myth in your eyes. Further, no one has to be a scientist or a sound engineer to read a frequency graph. Speaking of perpetrating myths you don't have to look too far. Anyway, I made my point and you made yours, without getting personal. I agree, to each his own, and you enjoy your music too.

Jun 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #1,498 of 2,153
Frequency graphs are easily manipulated and those tests weren't done under pristine conditions. I also question the quality of the cables tested and the properties of the cable composition. Also of question is the amount of time spent in burning in the cables itself. Different material takes different times to "burn in". So if you're going to bring up science, make sure the "data" all fits before touting one guy from Head-fi.org's tests. Just sayin...

Enjoy the music.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,500 of 2,153
I've been having an issue for the past week or so, and I figured this would be the place to ask about it. A few days ago, the DX120 auto-shutdown, which is fine. However, after turning it back on, the screen would just stay black for a long time. After hard resetting, I was able to boot up, but my scans of everything were erased. I decided to upgrade the firmware at that point and did so through the device itself. I've been stuck in a boot loop ever since. I can't connect it to a pc since whenever I try to, the screen goes black, and the device becomes unresponsive. I'm able to boot into the advanced menu, and I've tried to use it to install a new upgrade to no avail. Has anyone encountered this before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back