iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Dec 5, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #976 of 2,153
1) I do get a quick crackling static sound sometimes when listening through line out - it happens sometimes when I hit the pause button.
3) not sure if you're aware of this - when you tap the artwork, information appears - tap again to make it disappear - this has worked reliably for me so far.
Hi - just wondered what FW you are using.Is the line out noise actually still present then on the very latest FW?

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #981 of 2,153
I'm looking at the DX120 as an upgrade to my FiiO X3 2nd gen, but I had a few questions and was hoping that someone from iBasso (or someone with experience with this unit) could answer them.

1. Does the DX120 support ReplayGain tag information? Someone asked this partway through this thread but I didn't see the question answer - if not, is there plans to add it in a future firmware update? Essential for me (or I think anyone) who uses a DAP in shuffle mode so you aren't ambushed by a sudden change in volume between tracks.

2. Is there any sample rate limitation on the equalizer? On the X3, anything higher than 48kHz and the EQ doesn't work - as a result, I've had to downsample any high-res music I put on to it to 24/48 so I can use the onboard equalizer. If I get a new DAP I'd like it to be able to apply EQ to 192kHz/24bit FLAC files at the very least and not have to fiddle around resampling stuff simply to use an onboard function.
(The X3 also doesn't allow EQing of DSD files at all, but as far as I know that's a limitation of the file format itself and there aren't any digital playback devices that do DSD EQing.)

3. Is the DX120 powerful enough to drive a pair of OPPO PM-3s in either single ended or balanced mode? With the X3 I have to have the volume level up fairly high numerically speaking (generally 100-105 out of a possible 120) to get a desirable level of volume from the PM-3s.

Thanks in advance for any information!

I'm in the same boat as you. I also wanted to know about Replay gain (twas i who asked in a previous post) before taking the plunge but nobody seems to respond regarding the matter.

This is the 2nd time this question's being overlooked. Is Replay gain a faux pas subject here? If so, why? Lol

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #982 of 2,153
That's interesting to hear, I've been putting off getting this DAP because of earlier reported concerns about line out noise. But was assured by iBasso (via facebook) that the new FW had solved this issue. Can you confirm what FW you are using - is it the very latest FW?
It is, yeah. 2.2.42

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #983 of 2,153
Paul said I can just open it up slightly and have the screw fall out. Do i have to really rescrew back in?
I'm not sure how you would open it up just slightly, the back doesn't bend because it's made of glass. If you have the back off anyway, I would highly recommend reinstalling the screw- it holds the main pcb onto the frame. If you're going to go through the effort of taking the back off, then do yourself a favor and repair it correctly- it will probably save you grief in the long run!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #984 of 2,153
Also after installing the new firmware - I am no longer able to get the dx120 to work in dac mode for listening to Spotify through the usb in from my iPhone - this worked with the original firmware. Now it will work for a split second, then it will pause, and when resumed it will just play through the phone speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #985 of 2,153
I have read (I don't use an inline mic as the wire isn't that good and only degrades the sound) that there are two types of inline mics. One works with the DX120 and the other does not and you have to use an adapter in order for this other type to work.

I can confirm this. Just received the DX120 today and I plugged my Sony MDR-1AM2 (w/ the single button inline remote) and the sound is very mixed up and the volume is super low. Sounds awful. The DX120 works perfectly with my other headphones w/ no inline remote.

Dec 8, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #986 of 2,153
1) I do get a quick crackling static sound sometimes when listening through line out - it happens sometimes when I hit the pause button.
3) not sure if you're aware of this - when you tap the artwork, information appears - tap again to make it disappear - this has worked reliably for me so far.
The crackling is something that they addressed in the last firmware update. Try updating your firmware if you haven't already. I had the same problem (as did everyone, I think)- between the new firmware and letting it 'break in', the popping finally ceased.

Dec 8, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #987 of 2,153
My DX120 is for sale in the sale thread.
Comes with a black leather Miter case.
Selling as I don’t need the fantastic SQ or large footprint as I’m now stacking again.
Check it out.

Dec 8, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #989 of 2,153
The crackling is something that they addressed in the last firmware update. Try updating your firmware if you haven't already. I had the same problem (as did everyone, I think)- between the new firmware and letting it 'break in', the popping finally ceased.
Indeed, I have not heard the crackling since I updated the firmware. But now it no longer works in dac mode and the artwork doesn't display immediately.

Dec 8, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #990 of 2,153
Indeed, I have not heard the crackling since I updated the firmware. But now it no longer works in dac mode and the artwork doesn't display immediately.

They are probably working on a major firmware update. I know that folder play needs to be implemented properly as well. I am confident that it will all be resolved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back