iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #798 of 2,153
Ht6ZLe1
I put my Wallpaper folder in the SD card. Its on the same level as MUSIC, MEDIAGO, log, LEARNING https://imgur.com/a/Ht6ZLe1
Ht6ZLe1

Attachments

• wewwwww.png
    wewwwww.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #799 of 2,153
Ht6ZLe1
I put my Wallpaper folder in the SD card. Its on the same level as MUSIC, MEDIAGO, log, LEARNING https://imgur.com/a/Ht6ZLe1
Ht6ZLe1
Sorry for taking so long to get back, had to come home from work :) Ok, taking a look at your picture, that looks totally different than my file structure on my card. On my card, all I have are my music folders, and a couple folders. Is that your player or the sd card?

Do you have a card reader on your computer? My suggestion would be to insert your sd card into the computer, transfer your wallpaper folder directly to the card and then put the card back into your player. Then rescan the library. That's pretty much what I did, and it seems to work. My wallpaper folder is on my card in slot 2.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #800 of 2,153
Out of boredom, I went out and tried a bunch of different headphones with the DX120 this week at a couple of the hi-fi stores here in Berlin. I am thinking about writing a full review, but I thought I'd share some brief thoughts.

So far, I've been using the Etymotic ER4S, Beyerdynamic DT990, and for fun I even plugged in the old Porta Pros. The Etys sound nice, and I'm pretty used to them, having had the same pair for like 17 years now. That being said, the ER4S is definitely my reference.

The DT990s are quite nice just running out of the phone out. If you know the 990 sound, then you know they're smooth, warmish, but nice treble. As usual, using an amp, the etys and 990s opened up a bit. No surprise. Great mid-fi headphones, worked great with the FiiO X3ii.

Porta pros are good for running, but they don't do justice to the DX120. I'll just keep them with the iPod shuffle or Clip, and use them when I want to rattle the my eardrums back into my brain.

So what did I try-

Store #1 -For this article, I've changed the name of this store to Zero F's Given 'R Us

I originally went to the Zero F's Given 'R Us to check out the Meze 99 Classics. After reading all the good reviews, I had to check these out so bad! I told the guy at the store that I wanted to try these because of the good reviews on Head-Fi. The guy's reply was Head-Fi reviews are stupid. Hmm, wow, stupid enough to get me to walk into your store. But alas, he put some headphones in front of me, and that was the last I'd see of that guy, as he disappeared into his cubicle to check emails or something. When I did go to the front desk a couple hours later inquire about purchasing a new pair of headphones, the three guys behind the desk promptly walked away and left me standing by myself for 5 minutes until I left. It ended up being the luckiest moment of the week, because it gave me the motivation to go try some headphones at another store that I have fallen deeply, deeply in love with.

1. Meze 99 Classics- I think the pair I listened to were defective. I'm going to test out another pair eventually.

2. AudioQuest Nighthawks- Super comfortable, but they don't have the premium feeling that you get with the Beyerdynamics DT1770/1990, despite only costing 30 euros less. I think these things must need to be amped heavily or something, so I'm not sure why they gave them to me to try with my DX120. It was like listening to music blaring from a mouse sized boom box stuck behind my ear. Tried using my O2 amp with these, and it sounded like a louder mouse sized boom box stuck behind my ear. I don't like mice, I prefer rats, so nope.

3. Hi-Fi Man Sundara- They really have a premium build, and looked the part, but, hmm, yeah they didn't work well with the DX120. Maybe with a good amp? It was like someone took some cheap cell phone ear buds and spread peanut butter on the pads. Weak, weak, weak. Am I missing something here? I mean, for 500 euros, I was expecting something that didn't sound like watery audio vomit. Once again, if they need an amp, not sure why they thought I should try them out with a portable player. So, with these, I will admit that they weren't being used as intended. But I can't recommend them for the DX120.

Disappointed with the above choices, I decided to pull the following off their places on the couch arm.

4. Beyerdynamic DT1990- Their impedance is what, like 250 ohms? The DX120 was rocking them hard! So darn smooth, very balanced, very open. So, so comfortable. Like my 990s, but more clear, and more premium. And they're cheaper now than berore, I was really close to buying a pair. A darned fine bargain at 429 euros, and I wanted to buy some, but then I tried the DT1770s

5. Beyerdynamic DT1770- Pretty much the same as above, but with more bass and closed back. These are the first closed back headphones I've ever liked. They didn't have that listening to music through a sewer pipe effect that you usually get from closed back headphones. Detailed, but with a tiny bit of extra bass goodness. Imagine a really nice hi-fi setup with some good subs. I really, really, really loved these ones. I was going to buy them, but yeah, check out the preamble.

6. Beyerdynamic T5P- I tried them because they were there. If I were rich, I would have walked out with these. They ran great on the DX120. Amped they were super. These things are super. Period. Smooth and detailed, like licking silk infused with fine vanilla draped across a scanning electron microscope. Balanced like a Rolls-Royce jet engine. Drool. Mop. Drool some more.

I decided against auditioning the STAX headphones. They don't seem very portable :)

Store #2 PhonoPhono, Berlin- Super Awesome Hi-Fi Playground of Excellence

I guess Zero F's Given 'R Us wasn't really interested in selling anything that day that wasn't a 6000 euro receiver. Not sure why they even bother having a headphone studios set up then. So, the backup plan was to order some DT1770s online. But first, I wanted to try out some Grados. Because, why not? It was just up the street.

1. Grado SR325e- holy sonic bliss on a seabiscuit. It was like someone had a baseball bat made of musical notes and they were pounding my face in with it. Then they took my leaking brains and mixed it with chunks of bass goodness and made a delicious stew. So much detail, so much musicality, I don't think I've smiled that hard in a long time. More detailed than the Etys (how is that even possible?), with some yummy bass thumpiness that doesn't sound like an overamped subwoofer in the trunk of some kid's 4th hand Toyota Corolla. I literally sat and listened to these things for 5 hours. And then I went back the next day and listened to them for another 6 hours. Classical, jazz, rock,... they all sounded great paired up with the DX120. Thriller on DSD... did you know there was a cowbell playing in the right ear the whole time? I've listened to this album for what, 35 years or something, and I never noticed the cowbell? I think it's a cowbell, or maybe they're zombies kicking cans... And it doesn't have to be DSD, I'm listening to The Wall that I ripped in FLAC, and it sounds like my neighbors are yelling at each other (but it's just Pink going guano, building that wall). Handled Changing of the Guard with gusto!!! I guess that's some good soundstage!

So, when I first got my Etymotics and listened to them, everything else that I ever owned sounded horrible. And basically, anything that's not up to snuff compared to the Etys sounds terrible. The SR325s make the Etys sound terrible. That's right, I went into town today, wondering what the hell was wrong with my ears. My ears were fine, they just prefer the SR325e sound. Wow. Ok, the etys don't sound exactly terrible, but they seem muffled now.

2. Grado RS2e- like the SR325e that has had some of it's blood drained by leeches. It sounds great, but just not as alive as the 325e. If the SR325e sound is Scarlett Johansson, then the RS2e sound is Natalie Portman. (The Etymotics are Amy Farrah Fowler, clinical and to the point, but eager to please.) I think there are a lot of people who don't have hearing loss like me, so a slightly smoother sound is right up their alley. And I mean, they do look great, and they're super light, and have that mahogany and fine leather allure. But I couldn't justify and extra 200 euros for something that sounds similar, but not quite as good (in my humble opinion, which is usually awesome) as the 325e. I really did like the mahogany and the tan leather, and I badly wanted to find any reason to get these instead of the 325e. Nope. However, if you have an issue with the aluminum industry, then these are a suitable substitute for the 325e, I guess. Perhaps I'm still bitter about those 'first' 3 Star Wars movies...sorry Natalie.

The nice thing about the Grados is that they only have 32 ohms resistance, so the DX120 drives them really well, even without being set to high gain. I don't have to lug an extra amp around with me, even though I love my amp, So, longer battery life not having to use the line out.

So, I walked out of the store today with the 325e. Best audio purchase ever. I mean, there are no accessories besides a plug adapter, and you could whip a bear to death with this tree trunk of a cable, and they look as sexy as Rosie the Lunchlady, but heavenly honkin' snowballs they sound great!!! One good thing about the tree trunk cable- it doesn't kink or tangle, and there are no microphonics. Also, people complain about the ear pads and discomfort. I've literally had these on my head for most of my waking hours the past 3 days, if one is so inclined to actually adjust the headband for a proper fit, these are extremely comfy headphones. And since they are reasonably priced, I can fly to Uzbekistan and get my right kidney back.

Given the choice between the 325e and the T5P, I'd still pick the 325s. The T5P is like Lear Jet, and the 325e is a P-51 Mustang. The Lear Jet will get you in ultimate comfort and style, but the flying the Mustang is fun, fun, fun (so the people who have flown one have told me) Truth is, I've never flown either, but I do have the 325s now and that's good enough! Plus, I've touched a moon rock. In all honesty, if I had the finances to buy the T5P, I'd buy it so the 325e could have a pretty friend. And, I'd probably buy a car and a house, and another cat or two.

By the way, if you're in Berlin and looking for Grado goodness, check out PhonoPhono! This is the most friendly, helpful and awesome hi-fi store I have ever been to in the entire world!!! I paid full price for these things, so my review is a product of my own overactive imagination.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #801 of 2,153
Sorry for taking so long to get back, had to come home from work :) Ok, taking a look at your picture, that looks totally different than my file structure on my card. On my card, all I have are my music folders, and a couple folders. Is that your player or the sd card?

Do you have a card reader on your computer? My suggestion would be to insert your sd card into the computer, transfer your wallpaper folder directly to the card and then put the card back into your player. Then rescan the library. That's pretty much what I did, and it seems to work. My wallpaper folder is on my card in slot 2.

I just hooked up my Ibasso DX120 to my PC then created the Wallpaper folder in the SD Card and drop the images on it. So it doesnt work like that? I need to use a card reader for it to work? :O I dont have one but im pretty sure they cheap so I can buy one.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #802 of 2,153

I used the SD Card reader like you told me. Took the SD Card out of the ibasso dx120 and put it into the card reader. It looks exactly the same as if i just hooked up the DX120 directly to the PC. I deleted the Wallpaper folder that was already there. Created a "Wallpaper" folder on my desktop. Put in the 480*800 images(both in PNG and JPEG just to be sure). Transferred the folder to the SD card thats still in the reader. Then removed the SD Card and put it back into the iBasso DX120. Rescanned slot 2(where i put the SD Card with the Wallpaper folder in) and when to advanced->Display->just to see the same 3 basic wallpapers. :frowning2:

Nov 9, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #803 of 2,153
Out of boredom, I went out and tried a bunch of different headphones with the DX120 this week at a couple of the hi-fi stores here in Berlin. I am thinking about writing a full review, but I thought I'd share some brief thoughts.

1. Meze 99 Classics- With the normal cable they were just kinda like, meh... But the store also had a balanced cable, so I got to use the balanced output for once. It sounded much better (relatively). However, I'm not sure what all the rave reviews are about. I listened to Kamasi Washington's The Epic album- the first song on there 'Changing of the Guard' sounded like garbled chewed bubblegum (this song is a heaphone killer though, so the ultimate test) I was thinking, holy crap, these things are busted. But no, they just have that muddy bass that drowns everything else out. They sounded kind of ok listening to Thriller recorded in DSD, but compared to other phones they just don't have the details. They do look nice, and they fit my ears, and I really, really, really wanted to like them. But they suck. And considering that with a balanced cable they cost as much as the Beyer DT1770, well, whatever. Sure, 99 Classics get good reviews, but people also still buy Bose and Beats, so I guess there's something to be said about incessant marketing.

Well, I own Meze 99 Classics, I don't have balanced cable and I totally disagree. The sound is very good and detailed for me. I can compare, as I have K712Pro (detailed one) and had Senn HD650/ However, mine are 3 months old and are burnt in fully, maybe this is the reason. No veil, just very good velvet sound. But I remember that I didn't like what I heard the first time I listened to Meze, so probably burn in of brain and headphones is a must ))

Hope this helps someone.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #804 of 2,153
Well, I own Meze 99 Classics, I don't have balanced cable and I totally disagree. The sound is very good and detailed for me. I can compare, as I have K712Pro (detailed one) and had Senn HD650/ However, mine are 3 months old and are burnt in fully, maybe this is the reason. No veil, just very good velvet sound. But I remember that I didn't like what I heard the first time I listened to Meze, so probably burn in of brain and headphones is a must ))

Hope this helps someone.

Everyone's ears are different, so I believe it when you say they sound great to you! My review is a bit 'tongue in cheek', so to say. The Meze are actually decent, better than many others I've tried, but I'm too used to that 'clinical' Etymotic sound to appreciate them.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #805 of 2,153
I used the SD Card reader like you told me. Took the SD Card out of the ibasso dx120 and put it into the card reader. It looks exactly the same as if i just hooked up the DX120 directly to the PC. I deleted the Wallpaper folder that was already there. Created a "Wallpaper" folder on my desktop. Put in the 480*800 images(both in PNG and JPEG just to be sure). Transferred the folder to the SD card thats still in the reader. Then removed the SD Card and put it back into the iBasso DX120. Rescanned slot 2(where i put the SD Card with the Wallpaper folder in) and when to advanced->Display->just to see the same 3 basic wallpapers. :frowning2:

Sorry buddy, I'm at a loss now :frowning2: Send iBasso Paul an email, and he'll hook you up with some help. He responds really, really quickly! paul@ibasso.com

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #806 of 2,153
How does this dap compare to fiio m9 or lotoo paw 5000mk 2 or Cayin n5ii?

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #807 of 2,153
How does this dap compare to fiio m9 or lotoo paw 5000mk 2 or Cayin n5ii?
I was looking at all of those DAPs too when I was choosing, so here's my opinion, and this is based solely on research (so take it with a grain of salt) I do have the DX120, and I bought it for full price, so all my opinion about it is definitely my own.

There will probably be a bunch of M9 reviews coming out soon, as FiiO just released this player. I think for the price, they are competing directly against the Shanling M3- there seemed to be a lot of criticism of the X3iii not having a touch screen or connectivity. So for 279 euros, you're getting a player with the same DAC as the Paw, but also touch screen goodness and connectivity options. Personally, I was on the fence regarding the M3 and the DX120, but went with the DX120 instead, as the price difference wasn't so great. I guess the same could be said about the m9, since its the same price as the M3. Personally, I think if the m9 sounds great, and the OS is slick, then it would be my other serious consideration compared to the DX120. But my suspicion is that this will be closer to the X3 sound than the X5 or X7. There were a lot of comparisons between the DX120 and the X5, and some said it came close to the X7. I've listened to the X7, and found it to be quite amazing- however, I've not had a chance to do a side by side comparison. My assumption, based on research alone, would be that the DX120 would probably sound better than the M9, but you don't get all the features and the DX120 is 70 euros more expensive. The FiiO X5 may be the FiiO player that is the closest to the DX120, both in price and sound.

I have the X3ii, and it is a fine sounding little player. But I absolutely hate the scroll wheel, as it is basically non-functional after 3 years. Also, the screen on the X3ii is an absolute disaster, and too dark to be used outside. If the Paw has a similar screen, it would be a total deal breaker for me. The DX120 screen is functional outside, but not super bright like a cell phone, so it can be challenging to use in really bright conditions.

The Lotoo Paw was also on my radar. However, it has that scroll wheel, and personally I've had bad luck with scroll wheels. Also, it seems rather hard to come by, unless one takes the chance of ordering it from China. Seems a bit pricey for its features, especially considering the m9 has the same DAC (x2), and FiiO has awesome service and customer support. But I've never seen a bad review of the Paw, so if you can get one, you probably can't go wrong with it.

I've not heard the N5ii, and it's a bit more expensive than the DX120. It has all the bell and whistles, Wi-FI, bluetooth, etc, full stainless steel body, but also a price to match. There were a lot of sound comparisons between this and the DX120. If you don't need bluetooth, streaming, etc..., the DX120 will probably give you a similar sonic experience (if the reviews are to be trusted) The only thing, is given the N5's price, it's not too far of a leap to upgrade to the FiiO X7. The X7 does sound amazing, but it is completely out of my price range. The other thing is that rotary encoders on DAPs will give out- I don't care how gentle people are, if you have a player that is designed to be portable the encoder will take bumps. And if that encoder is the main tactile input source, and it's getting a lot of twists and turns, well, there's going to be mechanical wear. The encoder sticking out from the side was what ultimately eliminated the Shanling M3 from my list. Granted the N5 has the encoder recessed, so I imagine it's perfectly fine!

I find the DX120 to be one heck of a player, and the sound is amazing. The interface works really well, but they do still have some bugs to work out in the firmware. My experience thus far is that they are very serious about addressing issues and providing top-notch service. The styling is unlike anything else out there, and personally, I love the external buttons that can control the volume and playback. It has no wireless capability at all, this thing is built for one purpose and that is to play music. It does it's function very, very well. For the price, I doubt anything else out there can touch it, and once they fix some of the issues it will be absolutely stellar.

I'd personally like to see how others would compare this to the players you listed. But honestly, the Paw would be on the bottom of my list as it has that tiny non-touch screen.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #808 of 2,153
Sorry buddy, I'm at a loss now :frowning2: Send iBasso Paul an email, and he'll hook you up with some help. He responds really, really quickly! paul@ibasso.com
Thanks for all the help as well as the others that replied. iBasso replied "Your method is correct." and asked me to update to the latest version which I already have :/ Should i just update one more time just incase?

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #809 of 2,153
Thanks for all the help as well as the others that replied. iBasso replied "Your method is correct." and asked me to update to the latest version which I already have :/ Should i just update one more time just incase?
I don't think it would hurt, so go for it!

Nov 9, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #810 of 2,153
I find the DX120 to be one heck of a player, and the sound is amazing. The interface works really well, but they do still have some bugs to work out in the firmware. My experience thus far is that they are very serious about addressing issues and providing top-notch service. The styling is unlike anything else out there, and personally, I love the external buttons that can control the volume and playback. It has no wireless capability at all, this thing is built for one purpose and that is to play music. It does it's function very, very well. For the price, I doubt anything else out there can touch it, and once they fix some of the issues it will be absolutely stellar.

I'd personally like to see how others would compare this to the players you listed. But honestly, the Paw would be on the bottom of my list as it has that tiny non-touch screen.

Couldn't agree more; these have been my own impressions too. And I appreciate your thoughtful and non-biased comparisons too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back