iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Apr 26, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,382 of 2,153
Joining the family as my DX120 will be delivered today :). Once I've spent some time with it I'll compare it to the Shanling M0 & Fiio M6 for those that are looking to upgrade their DAP without spending an obscene amount of money.

Apr 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #1,384 of 2,153
Been comparing the dx120 to the Shanling M0 and FiiO M6, and first impression are good in almost all areas. As a stand alone player the dx120 has a smoother UI and has better sound quality. I'll write more details later but I have run into a few issues I'm hoping others can help with.

1) Is there any way to connect the dx120 as a transport to another dac over usb? In the January firmware update the notes mentioned USB out support, but the dx120 locks up when I connect it to an ifi nano BL over Usb.

-Edit, the player also doesn't work with a FiiO E17k Alpen 2 over usb. At least this time it doesn't lock up the dx120, but there never seems to be a handshake. Is this a software issue on the dx120, or is my unit defective? All my other DAPs work fine with these external dacs.

2) My line out volume is really low. I have to turn my Cayin C5 to full power to get to an ok listening level. Do I need to do anything to set the line out volume.
Edit- Just read that line out was changed to variable. I'll try line out again at max digital volume.

Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #1,387 of 2,153
Alright, I've read through this entire thread twice, and I noticed a few questions that went unanswered where I too would like answers. @Paul - iBasso , would you be able to comment on the following?

1) Is there any way to rename a playlist?

2) Are there any plans in future firmware updates to improve the USB out functionality (transport to an external DAC over USB OTG)? It seems that most who have tried this feature found that the DX120 freezes on attempting to play any song, or it just fails to recognize the external DAC. This is the only functionality that I am greatly missing from cheaper daps. If there are plans to fix this I could be content forever with this DAP :dt880smile:

I really appreciate any info you can give.

May 1, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,388 of 2,153
Anyone with an LG V30 could share some impression on the two in term of sound quality? Especially DX120 in Balanced mode.
I agrre. Dx120 > LG V30
I would say dx120 is more dynamic.

May 3, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #1,389 of 2,153
Today came a balanced meze cable for my 99 neo, I really wanted to try the balanced output of the dx120. The result is surprising, the sound becomes more transparent, revealing, the details of the music are much more evident, guitar effects, finger snaps, hisses voices, etc. I also feel better control at all frequencies, everything is tighter and the highs become more crystalline. This really exceeded my expectations, so I'll have to get a balanced cable also for my Dunu Falcon C.

May 3, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #1,390 of 2,153
Today came a balanced meze cable for my 99 neo, I really wanted to try the balanced output of the dx120. The result is surprising, the sound becomes more transparent, revealing, the details of the music are much more evident, guitar effects, finger snaps, hisses voices, etc. I also feel better control at all frequencies, everything is tighter and the highs become more crystalline. This really exceeded my expectations, so I'll have to get a balanced cable also for my Dunu Falcon C.

How did you volume-match in order to come to those conclusions?

May 3, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #1,391 of 2,153

I love my Meze Neo and have been planning to buy a balanced cable. I should do that soon. I think I would be able to also use the same cable with my Amiron.

May 3, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #1,392 of 2,153
Today came a balanced meze cable for my 99 neo, I really wanted to try the balanced output of the dx120. The result is surprising, the sound becomes more transparent, revealing, the details of the music are much more evident, guitar effects, finger snaps, hisses voices, etc.

Coincidentally I tried my 99 classics balanced yesterday, and compared the rules to SE using a PCOCC-A adapter cable that I previously determined to not color the sound. I found the results to be identical to what you described above, which makes me sad as all of my preferred headphones are single ended only. In any case, I agree that the balanced output is a more transparent and has greater detail than the SE port.

On a side note, I'm still holding out that iBasso responds to my questions above. Waiting patiently as they've had great responses and customer service in this thread up to this point.

May 3, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #1,393 of 2,153
Coincidentally I tried my 99 classics balanced yesterday, and compared the rules to SE using a PCOCC-A adapter cable that I previously determined to not color the sound. I found the results to be identical to what you described above, which makes me sad as all of my preferred headphones are single ended only. In any case, I agree that the balanced output is a more transparent and has greater detail than the SE port.

On a side note, I'm still holding out that iBasso responds to my questions above. Waiting patiently as they've had great responses and customer service in this thread up to this point.

I think there is a Chinese holiday at the moment.

May 3, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,394 of 2,153
How did you volume-match in order to come to those conclusions?
I've never understood why some insist critical testing for someone else to describe what they believe they're hearing. The entire ordeal of most all of this is subjective anyways. It's like somebody saying something tastes like vanilla. Well what other foods and flavors did you eat and taste to be sure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back