iBasso DX120 pure DAP player. Balanced, single ended, line out and 2 micro SD slots. FW 2.9.21 now out!
Feb 4, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #1,141 of 2,153
I've been using the DX120 for 2 weeks now and its battery quick charging scenario has already damaged my lipo battery noticeably.

After the first four recharges - each lasting exactly 2 hours - the player ran for more than 14 hours in SE mode with my KZ AS10 inears.
The power bank never turned off after the recharge process is completed.

When i charged the player for the first time overnight (at least 7 hours connected to the power bank, the charge bar indicator needs 45 minutes to change from 100% to 99%.
Unfortunately the player only runs 7.5 hours in SE and 6.5 hours in balanced mode from that point on with the AS10.

I am also disappointed about the quality of the keys - they have different pressure points, the start/pause button has almost none.
Protected by the included cover, the DX120 can hardly be operated. (longing for the DX90 keys - they work perfectly from the first day on, also with my beloved silicone cover)

The Shanling m5s, which I bought for comparison, needs 3 hours of charging time, but it runs more than 17 hours in SE and 10.5 in balanced mode with the same KZ AS10 headphones.

Apparently, I will have to send the DX120 back to amazon.co.uk.
Please be sure to be on the latest firmware. Unless a louder volume and harder to drive headphones are used, you should be getting better battery life than 7.5 hours. The case doesn't allow for the easiest use of the keys. I agree with that and I apologize for that. I am not sure why the DX120 would damage your lipo battery. Please try a firmware update and then a factory reset.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 4, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #1,142 of 2,153
Please be sure to be on the latest firmware. Unless a louder volume and harder to drive headphones are used, you should be getting better battery life than 7.5 hours. The case doesn't allow for the easiest use of the keys. I agree with that and I apologize for that. I am not sure why the DX120 would damage your lipo battery. Please try a firmware update and then a factory reset.
The first thing i did after unboxing the player was updating the firmware to the current version v2.42.

In my opinion, the lipo battery is overcharged because the DX120 does not switch off from the power bank after completion of the quick charging process.
By charging the player overnight - much longer than 2 hours connected to the charger - , the lipo got overloaded and lost nearly the half of its capacity.

Very weak performance, though the sound is convincing.

Feb 4, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #1,143 of 2,153
The first thing i did after unboxing the player was updating the firmware to the current version v2.42.

In my opinion, the lipo battery is overcharged because the DX120 does not switch off from the power bank after completion of the quick charging process.
By charging the player overnight - much longer than 2 hours connected to the charger - , the lipo got overloaded and lost nearly the half of its capacity.

Very weak performance, though the sound is convincing.
I misunderstood you. You mean the battery of the DX120 is failing? Please email me at paul@ibasso.com so we can get this figured out.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #1,144 of 2,153
My screen is very sensitive or has any issue? When i press the screen and slide my finger to scroll, in many cases the focus is fire.

Screen detect focus in key press, not key up. So when I touch the screen and slide my finger, sometimes dap only interpret the touch and send the focus.

Does anyone have this problem?

Feb 6, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #1,146 of 2,153
Just installed the new firmware 2.4.59 but .....the line-out output has become variable and not fixed as it was ..... ?
something went wrong??

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #1,147 of 2,153
Copland62:
Previous version, 2.3.53:
Improvements with this firmware:

1. Supports USB OTG audio output and supports up to DSD64 via DoP.
2. Improved DXD support.
3. Allows slide operation when the title, album name, or artist name are too long to be displayed all at once on the main screen.
4. Improved the thumbnail icon display speed of the album view.
5. Improved the "Added" sorting function of the All Music view.
6. Rectified the bug that some special characters were displayed as bold.
7. Allows adjustment of the line out volume.
8. Improved the CUE support.
9. Improved the display speed with a large library.

Feb 7, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,150 of 2,153
Is there any iBasso DX120 user, whose device turns the powerbank off after being fully charged - like a Samsung S7 for example ?

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #1,152 of 2,153
An outstanding DAP at its price point. Here is review on the iBasso DX120. Enjoy! :o2smile:

photo_2019-01-30_22-57-44.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #1,154 of 2,153
Hi guys,

I have a query for the dx120 holders. When you choose the artist, do you have the option to listen to all his songs in a single list and not only for albums? In the cayin n3, it is possible, by the way.

Regards.
Juan Luis.

Before you select the artist you want to play, just touch and hold the artist name then you can see the popup menu "Play".

Next touch "play" and you can see all the songs of that artist are listed.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #1,155 of 2,153
Well, I've made it through the 1st 40 pages. Couple questions. The single ended power of daps has always been a mystery for me. The 120 has 1.8 vrms - roughly 100mw if I'm not mistaken. I use to have the Shanling M2s, which had 130mw single ended, and it could not push my Beoplay H6 to desirable listening levels. Will this dap be any different? My V40 has 2.0 vrms, and it pushes the H6 just fine. The only other headphones I would be forced to use single ended are the Phillips Fidelio X1, and they are somewhat power hungry. All my other cans would be used balanced - plenty of power there. Lastly, can anyone compare the 120 to the Opus #1s? I feel the #1s is the best sounding dap I've ever heard under 400 bucks. And tons of power single ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back