iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5,281 of 13,503

Quote:
I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I bought some HE-500s from Chris_Himself. They've been stuck in UK Customs for the last 36 hours (groan).

Well I loved them with the former firmware so I am anxious to listen now since I hear a positive changes after the update. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #5,282 of 13,503
It's great to hear that. I've bought the HE-500s blind, having never even heard a pair! Foolish? I hope not.

Besides that I wonder what iBasso have changed in this firmware update to improve the sound of the DX100 further?
Still at work so i'll have a good listen tonight.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #5,283 of 13,503
I am really impressed with the speed that iBasso has developed and refined this UI via the firmware updates.

IMO, there are very few companies that have this kind of willingness to listen to suggestions from their customers and quickly incorporate them into their products.

iBasso certainly deserves a hearty "Well Done!"

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #5,284 of 13,503

Quote:
I am really impressed with the speed that iBasso has developed and refined this UI via the firmware updates.
IMO, there are very few companies that have this kind of willingness to listen to suggestions from their customers and quickly incorporate them into their products.
iBasso certainly deserves a hearty "Well Done!"

Agreed! 

...now I'm just waiting for the file sorting and flac/alac tag support 
smile.gif

Apr 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #5,285 of 13,503

Quote:
It's great to hear that. I've bought the HE-500s blind, having never even heard a pair! Foolish? I hope not.

Besides that I wonder what iBasso have changed in this firmware update to improve the sound of the DX100 further?
Still at work so i'll have a good listen tonight.

I had the chance to audition the HE500 but bought it blind on Saturday like the rest of my gear......bought a Violectric  V200 in under one minute today, my new record
wink_face.gif
. The DX100 definitely drives the HE500 well..but not as well as a Triad L3 which doesn't do as well as the V200.

The DX100 as the centerpiece of my growing bedside rig. Sourcing to the L3 for IEM and V200 for Headphones
bigsmile_face.gif

The improvements in sound quality after the update initiated my rush to get the V200 today. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #5,287 of 13,503
So it seems that both Go Launcher and No Lock are now not needed after the firmware update. BubbleUPnP looks useful but what other apps are people running out of curiosity?

I had Poweramp and Task Killer for awhile, but I now prefer the stock player and found that Task Killer made no improvement in performance or battery run time. I have since uninstalled all my downloaded apps except FuncGen which is a waveform generator app that I use for opamp and headphone testing.

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #5,288 of 13,503

Quote:
I am really surprised with the positive change in sound with the new firmware. The detail is very natural and the sound just flows. It is tubelike in presentation with excellent dimension, transparency and pace. 

The sound did appear to change, how very odd. It appears less sibilant, does anyone else feel the sibilance went down or am I just crazy? Some songs that really hurt my ears don't appear to do that anymore.

EQ is still rubbish, oddly enough just turning the thing on makes the volume drop a bit, even if all the values are at 0.

Edit: OK help... all my music is playing at 2x speed. As amusing as it is to hear chipmunk versions of my music collection, I'm not very amused. Did I hit a wrong button somewhere? I can't find playback speed anywhere in the setting.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #5,289 of 13,503
The sound did appear to change, how very odd. It appears less sibilant, does anyone else feel the sibilance went down or am I just crazy? Some songs that really hurt my ears don't appear to do that anymore.

EQ is still rubbish, oddly enough just turning the thing on makes the volume drop a bit, even if all the values are at 0.

Edit: OK help... all my music is playing at 2x speed. As amusing as it is to hear chipmunk versions of my music collection, I'm not very amused. Did I hit a wrong button somewhere? I can't find playback speed anywhere in the setting.

That sometimes happens if the SRC setting was changed. It also happens without a change in setting, but with a different file sample rate (less frequently). You can often fix this quickly by just making a change to the SRC setting, then playing a different file. You can then change the setting back to whatever you wish. A reboot will also set the play rate back to normal.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #5,290 of 13,503

Quote:
That sometimes happens if the SRC setting was changed. It also happens without a change in setting, but with a different file sample rate (less frequently). You can often fix this quickly by just making a change to the SRC setting, then playing a different file. You can then change the setting back to whatever you wish. A reboot will also set the play rate back to normal.

Ah excellent, thank you it's back to normal now. The reboot didn't fix it, so I was just about to do a factory reset.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #5,291 of 13,503
It sure seems like this latest firmware update has improved the SQ. I'm hearing tighter, more focused imaging, longer sustain and more space between the instruments. Nice job Ibasso. Oh... and the UI is more responsive.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #5,292 of 13,503

I concur that treble does seem to have been 'softened' a bit in the new firmware

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #5,293 of 13,503

Anybody noticed that if you open the EQ and reset it to zero (as advised by many), and restart the Dx100 then while playing a song , open the EQ menu and hit reset, although the values do not change from  zeros, there is a change in sound. All this is done while the EQ is opened and I never closed it (as to on off EQ)

Apr 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5,294 of 13,503
You weren't kidding when you said you were all in.  
biggrin.gif
   Congrats on your latest additions. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I had the chance to audition the HE500 but bought it blind on Saturday like the rest of my gear......bought a Violectric  V200 in under one minute today, my new record
wink_face.gif
. The DX100 definitely drives the HE500 well..but not as well as a Triad L3 which doesn't do as well as the V200.

The DX100 as the centerpiece of my growing bedside rig. Sourcing to the L3 for IEM and V200 for Headphones
bigsmile_face.gif

The improvements in sound quality after the update initiated my rush to get the V200 today. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back