iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #4,786 of 13,503
Glad to read this- I've read in here a few times (I'd pull up the quotes but there's waaay too many pages to go through) that there's better synergy with it and headphones rather than it and IEMs and was wondering if it was a balanced armature-based thing.  Much better to read your impressions that its actually a non-existent thing.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #4,787 of 13,503
No problem with my JH13 Pros. Very open and dynamic and they are BA IEM's. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #4,789 of 13,503
I was planning on building a home rig again... Getting a decent dac and a nice amp to use with full sized cans as well as my CIEMs. Those plans have screeched to a halt after getting the DX100. There's probably plenty of amps and dacs that can rival the sound from the DX100, but before you start mentioning them, let me ask you this:

1) Will the amp sound equally good with my HD650, HE-500 (they're on my want-list) and my 12ohm sensitive CIEMs? 
2) Will the combination of dac & amp cost less than $1000?
3) Will they fit on my small and cluttered desk?
4) Will they fit in my backpack so I can easily bring them with me to work every day? 95% of my listening takes place while I'm at work.

Sure, I'll get some sort of amp/dac for listening straight out of my computer but for my needs, the DX100 is (by quite a margin) the best thing I've encountered so far. Such an amazing sound from one self-contained system.

...but am I the only one wondering what Ibasso will come up with two years from now? Or if they're brewing on a DX50, a smaller IEM-optimized version? DX200 with more power and running Android 4.0?

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #4,790 of 13,503

Quote:
I was planning on building a home rig again... Getting a decent dac and a nice amp to use with full sized cans as well as my CIEMs. Those plans have screeched to a halt after getting the DX100. There's probably plenty of amps and dacs that can rival the sound from the DX100, but before you start mentioning them, let me ask you this:

1) Will the amp sound equally good with my HD650, HE-500 (they're on my want-list) and my 12ohm sensitive CIEMs? 
2) Will the combination of dac & amp cost less than $1000?
3) Will they fit on my small and cluttered desk?
4) Will they fit in my backpack so I can easily bring them with me to work every day? 95% of my listening takes place while I'm at work.

Sure, I'll get some sort of amp/dac for listening straight out of my computer but for my needs, the DX100 is (by quite a margin) the best thing I've encountered so far. Such an amazing sound from one self-contained system.

...but am I the only one wondering what Ibasso will come up with two years from now? Or if they're brewing on a DX50, a smaller IEM-optimized version? DX200 with more power and running Android 4.0?

O2 amp + Centrance Dac LX ????
And may I ask why the  650? as you got to listen to the 500, did you test the 650 (as to compare between them).
I am thinking of getting it, as the 700 is postponed for ..???

Apr 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #4,791 of 13,503
I use my Westone 4r with my DX100 without any issues, actually sound very good.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #4,793 of 13,503

Quote:
so in short, it sounds pretty good with pretty much anything...?

Well that is my take on what I have used: HD800, HD-25 (balanced and single ended), DT1350 (B&E), ATH-ESW10JPN, Westone 4r (B&E)....but this is only a limited sample. The B&E was out of the RSA SR-71B but I could not tell that the balanced mode added much to the sound that I was getting single ended out of the DX100.  This says a lot itself.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #4,794 of 13,503

Quote:
To those who say that the dx100 sounds better with cans than iems-
Do you mean ALL iems or just balanced armature iems?

I was one of the few people who prefer the DX100 driving Cans to IEMs. 

There is no denying that IEMs sounds great being driven by the DX100 but I have a few portable amps that opens up the soundstage, provides a deeper more textured bass, airier with better dynamics in highs and the mids being more palpable. 

These amps can't drive the Cans nearly as well as the DX100 with the exception of the L3. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #4,795 of 13,503

Quote:
To those who say that the dx100 sounds better with cans than iems-
Do you mean ALL iems or just balanced armature iems?

Compared to my iPhone, I felt the DX100 provided a very significant improvement with the Sony BA IEMs as well as the AT CK-10s. I found with the Sony XBA3s, better amplification sometimes made the bass too strong. The Pico Slim and HP-P1 did this, so I preferred using them straight out of my iPhone most of the time.  The CK-10s have an exceedingly strong treble (What were they thinking?) and sound very harsh straight out of an iPhone. Out of the DX100 they were very listenable, if the treble was still strong, but not anywhere near as harsh.

Quote:

I'd get a good desktop amp for home to use with all those headphones IMO.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #4,796 of 13,503
Most IEMs are BA and so they are comparing their BA IEM to their dynamic Headphones.

Quote:
Glad to read this- I've read in here a few times (I'd pull up the quotes but there's waaay too many pages to go through) that there's better synergy with it and headphones rather than it and IEMs and was wondering if it was a balanced armature-based thing.  Much better to read your impressions that its actually a non-existent thing.

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #4,797 of 13,503
Odd question but my lightning bolt thing when charging it has a tiny reflection of the tip of the lightning bolt reflected below the bolt same with the checkmark when it was done. I didn't notice it before does everyone else's do that as well?

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4,798 of 13,503
I have been listening to two old albums on FLAC with the DX100 > silver/gold hybrid cable > SE535ltd. These albums really sound truly stunning out of the DX100! 

Enigma "MCMXC a.D."

On track 2 - The Principles of Lust, the juxtaposition of the woman moaning "I wanna....."  and the monks chanting is just so surreal 
blink.gif
 in such clarity!

and The Art of Noise "(Who's Afraid Of) The Art of Noise" this morning

In particular track 6 - "Moments in Love", I have never heard my Shures have a soundstage this big!

Great timeless music and played out of the DX100 just sounds stunning...........cannot get this type of sound without the ability to extract the last details from the music files......No other DAP comes even close in this department!!!  

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #4,799 of 13,503
My DX100 has been costing me more $$$. I've re-lit that fire in buying SACD's, ripping & converting them "down" to 24/192. Now I really wish iBasso will tweak the OS to accept DSD since the ES9018 is already capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back