iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 5, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #3,946 of 13,503
3ed7d6ca-3b57-1a3a.jpg
3ed7d6ca-3b7b-4742.jpg

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #3,949 of 13,503

Turok,

Do you find that the 1/4" jack has a loose connection? Irrespective if I use an adapter like yours below, or if I use a pair of headphones with 1/4" plugs I don't always get a clean connection - either the left or right cuts out somewhat then I have to rotate the plug.
Quote:
3ed7d6ca-2f6f-866d.jpg

As I am mostly using ciem/IEM, and every time I have to unplug and plug them to the dap, I decided to insert an adapter in the 1/4 and use it with my IEM as not to damage the 1/8 dap's, maybe someone will find this useful as its really annoying to keep the IEM while powering the dap!

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #3,951 of 13,503

Quote:
Turok,

Do you find that the 1/4" jack has a loose connection? Irrespective if I use an adapter like yours below, or if I use a pair of headphones with 1/4" plugs I don't always get a clean connection - either the left or right cuts out somewhat then I have to rotate the plug.

No, I don't need more bad news, for I'm almost up to my neck
blink.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #3,952 of 13,503
Apr 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #3,954 of 13,503

Quote:
From the beginning, the DX100 met my expectations as far as build quality and overall sound. While I felt the SQ was very good initially, it really wasn't until I was able to play some 24/96 and 24/192 HiRez files with really good headphones that I realized what the DX100's true potential really was. The initial firmware did have lots of bugs, but iBasso quickly responded and the firmware update did address most of the initial issues. The recall and subsequent firmware update still needs additional work, but again, iBasso is nearly finished with the next update to address the issues reported in the latest update.
There is no doubt in my mind that iBasso intends to make the DX100 a true benchmark in the portable DAP market. They already stand alone in having developed a portable player that can play virtually any codec at any bitrate. The fact that this is all incorporated into an Android operating system adds a huge amount of additional potential for users who want to move beyond a simple music player.
I do think that there is a learning curve with the DX100 due to the Android operating system. I believe a number of reported issues are likely the result of user unfamiliarity with this OS, coupled with the fact that iBasso has been so busy with the hardware and firmware that a user manual has gotten moved to the back burner. To their credit, it was probably a good decision to wait awhile rather than have several versions of a User Manual required because of firmware changes.
I have compared my DX100 to all of my other players and have also used it extensively as a transport/DAC for my desktop amps and IMO, the SQ has exceeded that of any of my other players or DAC's.
It is not unexpected that PowerAmp (and some other players) sound good on the DX100 as, of course, they share the same hardware with the iBasso player; their limitation being the inability to play hi-rez files without down-sampling.
As with any audio device, there are certain synergies between headphones and player that seem to develop, as well as "anti"-synergies. It does take some time to explore these various combinations, but as you discover them, it makes one truly appreciate what a fine technological achievement iBasso has created with this DAP.
So, what is the bottom line??? If one does not plan to acquire any Hi-Rez music or listen to music recorded with lossless codecs, and if one is unwilling to acquire headphones or IEM's of a quality suitable to allow the DX100 to reach its potential SQ, there are probably better choices available at much lower cost, but if one is searching for the ultimate capability in a portable DAP and is willing to acquire the appropriate music files and listening hardware, the DX100 is now at the pinnacle.

Thanks so much for this Ron - as always, detailed and insightful without being long-winded. Thats a rare gift anywhere, but particularly here.  

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #3,955 of 13,503

Quote:
From the beginning, the DX100 met my expectations as far as build quality and overall sound. While I felt the SQ was very good initially, it really wasn't until I was able to play some 24/96 and 24/192 HiRez files with really good headphones that I realized what the DX100's true potential really was. The initial firmware did have lots of bugs, but iBasso quickly responded and the firmware update did address most of the initial issues. The recall and subsequent firmware update still needs additional work, but again, iBasso is nearly finished with the next update to address the issues reported in the latest update.
There is no doubt in my mind that iBasso intends to make the DX100 a true benchmark in the portable DAP market. They already stand alone in having developed a portable player that can play virtually any codec at any bitrate. The fact that this is all incorporated into an Android operating system adds a huge amount of additional potential for users who want to move beyond a simple music player.
I do think that there is a learning curve with the DX100 due to the Android operating system. I believe a number of reported issues are likely the result of user unfamiliarity with this OS, coupled with the fact that iBasso has been so busy with the hardware and firmware that a user manual has gotten moved to the back burner. To their credit, it was probably a good decision to wait awhile rather than have several versions of a User Manual required because of firmware changes.
I have compared my DX100 to all of my other players and have also used it extensively as a transport/DAC for my desktop amps and IMO, the SQ has exceeded that of any of my other players or DAC's.
It is not unexpected that PowerAmp (and some other players) sound good on the DX100 as, of course, they share the same hardware with the iBasso player; their limitation being the inability to play hi-rez files without down-sampling.
As with any audio device, there are certain synergies between headphones and player that seem to develop, as well as "anti"-synergies. It does take some time to explore these various combinations, but as you discover them, it makes one truly appreciate what a fine technological achievement iBasso has created with this DAP.
So, what is the bottom line??? If one does not plan to acquire any Hi-Rez music or listen to music recorded with lossless codecs, and if one is unwilling to acquire headphones or IEM's of a quality suitable to allow the DX100 to reach its potential SQ, there are probably better choices available at much lower cost, but if one is searching for the ultimate capability in a portable DAP and is willing to acquire the appropriate music files and listening hardware, the DX100 is now at the pinnacle.

Thanks so much for this Ron - as always, detailed and insightful without being long-winded. Thats a rare gift anywhere, but particularly here.  

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #3,956 of 13,503
My DX100 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  Unfortunately, I seem to have just misplaced the left earpiece of my 1964 Ears Quad...  Hoping that I just accidently flung it across the house or something...  

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #3,957 of 13,503

Quote:
yeah sensitive IEMs, you mean the JH? I had a pair and yes mine were so are the Shures 530/535. My ears not sensitive at all not a great thing but I love it loud.

The JH16 are so sensitive, just moving the DAP, makes a hiss (barley heard)!!!

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3,959 of 13,503

Quote:
Just touching the LOD on my DX100 while connected to my IE80s makes it make noise lol. Not an issue when music is playing but surprising. This is when connected to the O2 amp.

I know what you mean, and now its less warm than before while using, did any notice this?

I 'm really enjoying "Mecano", very nice & clear female vocals, esp. "Hijo de la Luna & No Hay Marcha En Nueva York", thank god for females
wink.gif

Apr 5, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #3,960 of 13,503
Only had the DX100 for second day now, but it does sound better, brighter and the sound is more direct and the soundstage has increased, that is with my ATH-W3000ANV.
Am very happy, and after 200+ hours of burn in this DAP will trully shine.Now regarding Hifiman HM901, ..i don't know it is possible to take SQ to a higher level, IMHO, all they can do is to come with a DAP with better battery life, and ipod like stable operating system.
Oh, i wished DX100 will work as a stand alone DAC with firmware updates but don't know if that is possible.
Anyway thank you iBasso for making the best sounding DAP out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back