iBasso DX-220 or Kann Cube?
Dec 13, 2019 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PocketClouds

New Head-Fier
I would know impressions from owners or full listeners of this two daps.
I'm looking for the best one for train travelings, office time and home, already knowing about the size and weight of Cube.
Thanks.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #2 of 10
Hi @PocketClouds,

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the DX 220 though it does tempt me very much (that battery life lets it down for me), I am quite familiar with iBasso sound & much prefer it over Kann Cube which I have heard.
Subjectively, depending on what kind of sound you're after will also influence you decision.

So really, it comes down to whether you like warm, engaging & smooth sound (220) vs more analytical, clinically cold & almost neutral (Cube).
Not to mention in terms of Current, not necessarily Power & Wattage, iBasso DAPs actually have more than AK DAPs.

The only minior issue you may encounter is depending on amp card, you will average 8 hrs battery life per average daily usage so keep that in mind though iBasso has fast charging which does help keep thing under control.

In closing, the only real benefit you get from the Cube over the 220 is it would make a good self defence tool, albeit an expensive one.

Hope this is useful.

Hope you have a great day !

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 10
The only thing I don’t like about the iBasso is the only ‘ok’ battery life. Some find the interface a touch slow, but I’m not one of them. Only just started using Amp8 (Black Friday cable deals FTW!), and its amazing how much clean power (practically zero hiss with the pretty picky and sensitive Andromeda S) that thing puts out. And the sound is gorgeous.

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi @PocketClouds,

Unfortunately, I haven't heard the DX 220 though it does tempt me very much (that battery life lets it down for me), I am quite familiar with iBasso sound & much prefer it over Kann Cube which I have heard.
Subjectively, depending on what kind of sound you're after will also influence you decision.

So really, it comes down to whether you like warm, engaging & smooth sound (220) vs more analytical, clinically cold & almost neutral (Cube).
Not to mention in terms of Current, not necessarily Power & Wattage, iBasso DAPs actually have more than AK DAPs.

The only minior issue you may encounter is depending on amp card, you will average 8 hrs battery life per average daily usage so keep that in mind though iBasso has fast charging which does help keep thing under control.

In closing, the only real benefit you get from the Cube over the 220 is it would make a good self defence tool, albeit an expensive one.

Hope this is useful.

I'm looking for warm sound effectively, engaging and "live". I play more synthwave, electronic, post-rock and rock metal.
So I think the IBASSO is the best...
Thank you!

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 10
Hi @PocketClouds,

Happy to help, as said, hard to go wrong with iBasso.

Be interested to know how things turn out for you.

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 10
The only thing I don’t like about the iBasso is the only ‘ok’ battery life. Some find the interface a touch slow, but I’m not one of them. Only just started using Amp8 (Black Friday cable deals FTW!), and its amazing how much clean power (practically zero hiss with the pretty picky and sensitive Andromeda S) that thing puts out. And the sound is gorgeous.
So the Amp8 give to it just more power? What about the difference with the other ibasso amps?

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 10
So the Amp8 give to it just more power? What about the difference with the other ibasso amps?

The Amp1mkII (stock) is already a very capable performer - clean, balanced, musical, fairly 'neutral'. Balanced power is similar to the Amp8, from what I've been able to gather. Amp8 is a touch warmer, bit more 'oomph' and a bit more bass body. The Amp9 is also really nice, neutral but musical with a solid bass and midrange (it's the tiny tube, yo), but it is a good bit noisier with sensitive IEMs, even in low power/low gain mode, and the tube 'rings' a bit if you bump the player. In high power mode, the noise is way too much for me for my Campfire IEMs, in low power/medium gain it is audible, but not offensive at all unless you're listening to very quiet music. But the Amp8 and Amp1mkII are quieter.

In terms of power, the Amp8 will easily drive all my full-sized headphones. The Amp1mkII single ended output I find a little anaemic for both the Sennheiser HD6XX and the Hifiman HE4XX. Volume is fine, but they're not driven all that well, and you need to push the volume levels pretty high. Amp9 does better in it's high output/high gain combo mode. But the Amp8 is much quieter and just as musical to my ear.

As a reference, Amp1mkII or Amp9 single ended volumes, medium gain, Andromeda were around 90-100 for a-bit-too-loud-to-be-healthy, and my discomfort threshold for Amp8 is around the 45 mark. With maximum volume being 150 (android mode).

Honestly, I'd say give the stock Amp1mkII a try first - its a very capable performer. I just figured I'd try out the different amps considering I have a player that allows amp swapping :)

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 10
The Amp1mkII (stock) is already a very capable performer - clean, balanced, musical, fairly 'neutral'. Balanced power is similar to the Amp8, from what I've been able to gather. Amp8 is a touch warmer, bit more 'oomph' and a bit more bass body. The Amp9 is also really nice, neutral but musical with a solid bass and midrange (it's the tiny tube, yo), but it is a good bit noisier with sensitive IEMs, even in low power/low gain mode, and the tube 'rings' a bit if you bump the player. In high power mode, the noise is way too much for me for my Campfire IEMs, in low power/medium gain it is audible, but not offensive at all unless you're listening to very quiet music. But the Amp8 and Amp1mkII are quieter.

In terms of power, the Amp8 will easily drive all my full-sized headphones. The Amp1mkII single ended output I find a little anaemic for both the Sennheiser HD6XX and the Hifiman HE4XX. Volume is fine, but they're not driven all that well, and you need to push the volume levels pretty high. Amp9 does better in it's high output/high gain combo mode. But the Amp8 is much quieter and just as musical to my ear.

As a reference, Amp1mkII or Amp9 single ended volumes, medium gain, Andromeda were around 90-100 for a-bit-too-loud-to-be-healthy, and my discomfort threshold for Amp8 is around the 45 mark. With maximum volume being 150 (android mode).

Honestly, I'd say give the stock Amp1mkII a try first - its a very capable performer. I just figured I'd try out the different amps considering I have a player that allows amp swapping :)
Many thanks!

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 10
Good Answer. I'm currently testing a DX220 with an AMP1MkII vs AMP8 vs AMP9. I'm working on equalising the cables but my initial thought is that the AMP1.2 is spot on.

To the original OP: I haven't done a direct comparison between the Kube and the 220X. I have done a direct comparison between the 220X and HiBy R6 Pro and I prefer the iBasso. I've compared the HiBy against the Kube and prefer the AK. Explicit testing between the AK and iBasso needs to be done. Ugh. Too many variables.

FYI: My preference is low end heavy, and my ears have been subjected to LOUD audio from DJing and playing in loud rock bands for many years. Additionally, I'm old (over 50).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back