Ibasso D6 versus Practical Devices XM 6
Jun 5, 2011 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

welchie

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently have a uDac for my laptop. It's good, but i like my iBasso D4 a lot better. I mistakenly sold it to buy a tube amp.

I'm current considering the D6 or the XM6. Can anyone comment or give reccomendations. I've been into this hobby for some years now and want the "wow" factor.

Thanks !!   
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 14
I've been curious of that same questions myself. I have no experience with either or any amp for that matter.
I only know from what I have read in the forums. It seems that the D6 will have more power. The XM6 has better DAC and rollable op/amps (correct terms?) and has quite the selection of buttons for varied customization of sound. I personally like customizing of sound on the XM6 but like I said no personal experience it just seems like a good idea. Oh, and the price difference. Probably wasn't too useful. Also I wanted to bump this and see what people who really know what they are talking about think of these two amps.

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 14
Thank you for your reply !!! You the DAC of the XM 6 is better. That's really good info. Your position is almost a carbon copy of mine. I too have read as much as is out there. I did have the iBasso D4 and really liked it. I sold it to put money toward my Woo WA6 which is a beautiful machine in all respects. I have a new job which will involve travel and my laptop so I'm in the market for a quality portable amp/dac. I hope we can get some movement on this thread.

Thanks !!
dt880smile.png

Jun 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 14
I have an XM4, which shares some features with the XM6.  It has variable crossfeed and bass boost.  The XM6 will also boost treble.  These features were fun to play with at first, but I never ever use them.  I'm a bit of a purist and perfer not to add any equalization to the signal.  The build quality is top notch.  I use my amp when I'm going to sleep and it has a feature where you can set it to shut off automatically after a certain number of hours.  I find this feature very useful.  The XM6 has this too.

No matter what comments are made here, nothing will compare with your personal experience with the D4.  I would say if you were happy with it, get another one.  Especially if you are looking for a "Wow", you are probably setting yourself up for dissapointment. 

However I know it is the nature of this hobby to want to branch out and get something better - been there done that.  :).

Jun 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 14
The XM6 is arguably more powerful and has a ton more features compared to the D6. It's also quite a bit more expensive. If those features look appealing to you, then go with the XM6. If you don't think you'll use them, then stick with the simpler and cheaper D6.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
The XM6 is arguably more powerful and has a ton more features compared to the D6. It's also quite a bit more expensive. If those features look appealing to you, then go with the XM6. If you don't think you'll use them, then stick with the simpler and cheaper D6.

'arguably more powerful' ? Do you have any figures to back that up ?

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 14
Nothing other than the specs on their respective websites. The XM6 has more gain, the D6 more current available (maybe?) and higher battery voltage (I think).

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 14
XM6: gain of 10 or 18 dB (voltage gain roughly 3.2x and 8x), over 1W (load not given, but I assume 32 ohm)

D6: gain of 3 or 10 dB (voltage gain roughly 1.4x and 3.2x), up to 1.3W at 32 ohm

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I have an XM4, which shares some features with the XM6.  It has variable crossfeed and bass boost.  The XM6 will also boost treble.  These features were fun to play with at first, but I never ever use them.  I'm a bit of a purist and perfer not to add any equalization to the signal.  The build quality is top notch.  I use my amp when I'm going to sleep and it has a feature where you can set it to shut off automatically after a certain number of hours.  I find this feature very useful.  The XM6 has this too.

No matter what comments are made here, nothing will compare with your personal experience with the D4.  I would say if you were happy with it, get another one.  Especially if you are looking for a "Wow", you are probably setting yourself up for dissapointment. 

However I know it is the nature of this hobby to want to branch out and get something better - been there done that.  :).

I don't think its fair to compare the xm4 to the xm6. The xm6 is far Superior in its amp section, has a top notch dac and many more features. The xm5 however has a very similar amp to the xm6.
I received my fully loaded xm6 2 days ago & I highly recommend it. I haven't heard the D4 unfortunately but with the performance of of the xm6  and it's versatility I'm sure you'd be happy with either.
They've got a special on at Prac Dev atm so that's another advantage albeit a temporary one.
Good luck. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 14
The $150 bump in price for upgraded dac is hard to swallow (though I suppose there is that aux connector and control stick). I feel like those free goodies on the XM6 were just tacked on to the price then labled as "free" afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back