iBasso D5 Hj - Yet Another USB DAC/Amp
Jun 1, 2011 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

pekingduck

Headphoneus Supremus
D5 Hj - A new portable USB DAC/amp from the collaboration of iBasso and Hibino. Looks like it is Japan-only.

Uses AKM DAC chip instead of Wolfson
Can't figure out the highest bit-rate/sampling rate supported, It seems 24/192 mentioned in the article (below) is after upsampling.
Availability: July 15

More info: http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/information/2672.html  (Google Translate)

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 23
Excellent - I'm posting in an iBasso-related thread before both paulybatz and jamato8 : red-letter day, people.

Seriously, the 'Japan-only' thing has me wondering - just how strong is their domestic economy post-tsunami ? AKM DAC ? What ?

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
Excellent - I'm posting in an iBasso-related thread before both paulybatz and jamato8 : red-letter day, people.

Seriously, the 'Japan-only' thing has me wondering - just how strong is their domestic economy post-tsunami ? AKM DAC ? What ?

There were a few other HJ (For Japan) models prior to D5 - namely D2+ Boa, D12 and T3. But they were released internationally before being made available in Japan. This model may be different... D5 is to mark the first anniversary of Hibino being the importer/distributor for iBasso in Japan. Looks like they chose the DAC produced by local manufacturer AKM

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #5 of 23
Jun 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 23
Yah, sure makes it sound like anything other than Wolfson sucks...

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 23

Quote:
Yah, sure makes it sound like anything other than Wolfson sucks...

Not at all - I have had many long and pointless battles with the Wolfson fan club in threads on the various iPod generations and their worth as a source component. My comment was merely a reflection of the fact that you dont see AKM alongside Burr-Brown, Cirrus and others as makers of quality DAC chips - always happy to hear otherwise.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 23
AKM chips are used in some high-end equipment. The Marantz SA7S1 CD Player (USD $6000) comes to mind.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
AKM chips are used in some high-end equipment. The Marantz SA7S1 CD Player (USD $6000) comes to mind.

I stand corrected - I thought Marantz used Cirrus DACs, but I guess they use whatever they need to for a given component. Personally, I havent heard a speaker amp that I like more than the PM6003, but thats a long way from 6K.

Jun 23, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 23
Any updates on this ? I am only seeing pretty pictures at the site.

http://www.hibino-intersound.co.jp/ibasso_audio/2675.html

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #13 of 23
D12 is a great device but its much more strong as a DAC rather than an Amp, its more like 70% DAC and 30% Amp. People looking for a dedicated amp, D12 might not be the choice.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #15 of 23
indeed akm is the only chip maker that is giving ESS a run for its money at the moment imo, very good chips

Users who are viewing this thread

Back