iBasso D42 "Mamba" with dual dacs! !! Hey Hey! Improved Starting on Page 76 .
Jun 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #931 of 1,153

Quote:
Is a 9.6v rechargeable bad for the D4? 

I'm a little worried since I blew a cap the first time I used one last week, but I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence, due to the 9.6v battery or due to the really crappy USB cable I was using...

Any chance at all that the battery was inserted with the incorrect polarity??

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #932 of 1,153
i had a 9.6 in and I blew a cap. two and sent it back to ibasso there was like a10 day turn around time and like $30 shipping to send it back usps but ibasso said 9.6 was ok so i still use 9.6 its been like 4 months  and no  problems

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #933 of 1,153

Quote:
Any chance at all that the battery was inserted with the incorrect polarity??

Maybe...I swear I double checked it before inserting the battery.  Guess I'll have to triple check this time when I get my D4 back from iBasso, heh.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #935 of 1,153
Just finished the 2nd half of this thread (whew!).

The clipping issue, does it also apply to non-mac users with itunes?  Most people who mentioned it seem to be running on macs, so wasn't sure.

I hear my PRO 650s having difficulty with the lowest bass regions on some songs (when using D4 from PC), but I had attributed that to them not being burned in...or maybe reaching the range limitations of my phones (Hopefully not).

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #936 of 1,153

Quote:
Just finished the 2nd half of this thread (whew!).

The clipping issue, does it also apply to non-mac users with itunes?  Most people who mentioned it seem to be running on macs, so wasn't sure.

I hear my PRO 650s having difficulty with the lowest bass regions on some songs (when using D4 from PC), but I had attributed that to them not being burned in...or maybe reaching the range limitations of my phones (Hopefully not).

Perhaps you are reaching the range limit of the recording  rather than the limits of your phone or  D4.   The D4 can reproduce frequencies below that which many phones are capable of matching.   The D4 showed well on my scope when sweeping sine waves beginning at 20hz.  Most phones are down by 10-12 db or more at that frequency. 

Ron

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #937 of 1,153
Sorry if I'm being thick, but what on earth are the dual DACs for? I mean, if the sound has gone through 1 DAC, then it wouldn't be able to pass through a DAC, right?

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #938 of 1,153
The dual DACs = one for left channel, one for right channel. 

Quote:
Sorry if I'm being thick, but what on earth are the dual DACs for? I mean, if the sound has gone through 1 DAC, then it wouldn't be able to pass through a DAC, right?

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #940 of 1,153

Quote:
But with different DACs, wouldn't that create an imbalance in the sound between your two ears?

No, the DACs are the same.  Similar to having 2 discrete channels in a stereo amplifier.

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #942 of 1,153

Quote:
ah. Got it. Is the amp section or DAC section anything for D10 users to look out for?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, but most agree that the D4 DAC is improvement over the D10.  Incrementally, not day and night. 
Both amp sections can be tailored to your preferences by judicious choice of opamps.  The D4 can output a higher voltage due to the ability to select 9v from the internal battery vs  5 volts in the D10. 

The D10 is a great all-arounder with the digital input options.  The D4 is a good choice if a major part of your listening involves streaming music from a computer or if you play your music files from your computer.  

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #943 of 1,153
What about the D4 for playing lossless on a iPod classic with IE8s?

How would that be or am I better off with another DAC/Amp?

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #944 of 1,153
What would be a recommended rechargeable battery for this, I grabbed some of my dad's energizer rechargeable last time I went home but they did not last that long and looking at the spec sheet it looks like they are only 7.2 volts and 175mAh. I don't have a charger for lithium but is there any NiMH battery that you guys use with good results? Not all of you use lithium/alkaline right?

Aug 4, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #945 of 1,153
So, I've been playing some ALAC files out of my ipod nano (LOD) into a Hiflight-upgraded Mamba I currently have on loan, using the Beyer DT 150 on high gain (9.30-10 o'clock volume level). Initial impressions are that detail retrieval/clarity has been kicked up a notch, and they seem more airy and liberated as compared to the stock opamps. There's a discreet bassline on Shrinebuilder - "Solar Benediction" that I only heard just now, wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back