ibasso D3 Review!
Jan 24, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #166 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope I'm not being a wet blanket here, but I seem to read complaints about the D3 having problems quite often.
Is that really the case? Is the quality control on D3 really that bad?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought you just got a Boa, my friend?
biggrin.gif
The D3 sounded nicer than the Boa to my ears though when I tried them last time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

About the QC issue, I'm not sure. iBasso product looks well-built from the outside and the most common issue around here is the RF interference thing.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #167 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DId you have the D3 plugged in and the drivers loaded before you started the music player?

If I start iTunes before plugging in my D3 then iTunes defaults to the internal sound card.

Steven.

Yes. If I recall everything was set up before starting up iTunes but that's a good point because maybe I did have iTunes launched before connecting the amp. Come to think of it I really don't remember now.
confused_face_2.gif

I will try it again at work Monday to be sure. I will also test out my XP Pro & Vista desktops here at home today if I get a chance.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #168 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you just got a Boa, my friend?
biggrin.gif
The D3 sounded nicer than the Boa to my ears though when I tried them last time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

About the QC issue, I'm not sure. iBasso product looks well-built from the outside and the most common issue around here is the RF interference thing.

Yea, dude, and it's beautiful!
However, it just can't hurt to know some things before you actually need to, right? *wink*
*drool*
bigsmile_face.gif

I read some posts suggesting that the RF interference comes from the IC cable, not the amp itself. Haven't read the end of that tho so I can't be certain.
Has it not been sorted out yet?

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #169 of 200
The interference comes from iBasso's choice of op-amps. The interference didn't happen to me when I auditioned it last time though.

I think upgrading to a D3 from a Boa is not a wise move though because although the D3 is better (more spacious sound, better detail and separation), it's not a sigfinicant improvement. The D10 from the other thread on the other hand looks really delicious though.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #170 of 200
Yep, I thought of that.
D10 would be cooler, if only I could get some way to get an optical output for my laptop..

Anyway, about the D3..
So the main problem is the RF interference caused by the op-amps?
We can change the op-amps though, right?
Can we change/stack the buffer?

I read somewhere that to power low-impedance headphones (such as SR80, MS1) I should stack the buffer as to increase the available current without adding resistance (or was it voltage?)..

Jan 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #171 of 200
Quote:

I hope I'm not being a wet blanket here, but I seem to read complaints about the D3 having problems quite often.
Is that really the case? Is the quality control on D3 really that bad?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

My one is fine, but if one goes wrong you can send it back. The only downside is that they're in China and postage can be a bit expensive.

Steven.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #173 of 200
I'm pretty sure the garbled audio I experienced with the stock mini-mini cable was due to RF interference. My house is pretty much all wireless. Using the CB01 silver cable however yielded excellent results.

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #174 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I will try it again at work Monday to be sure. I will also test out my XP Pro & Vista desktops here at home today if I get a chance.

Rockin' good news! I used the Python with both desktops and it worked just fine. I dug out my old pair of Sony MDR-NC50 phones to use (I'm planning on getting the AKG K701 for home use). So it probably is a case of having iTunes upon prior to coonecting the DAC on my workstation. Will try Monday. So far I am thoroughly impressed with the iBasso. I've got a Zenhead coming to compare with
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #175 of 200
Quote:

Rockin' good news! I used the Python with both desktops and it worked just fine. I dug out my old pair of Sony MDR-NC50 phones to use (I'm planning on getting the AKG K701 for home use). So it probably is a case of having iTunes upon prior to coonecting the DAC on my workstation. Will try Monday. So far I am thoroughly impressed with the iBasso. I've got a Zenhead coming to compare with
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad to hear that, Signal2Noise..
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the garbled audio I experienced with the stock mini-mini cable was due to RF interference. My house is pretty much all wireless. Using the CB01 silver cable however yielded excellent results.

So using a different cable does help? Thank for the input, I'll keep that in mind
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An small number of users have reported RF interference, however in my case that has not been an issue. I am bery satisfied w/ my D3.

What cable are you using, mrarroyo?

Quote:

Originally Posted by swayne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My one is fine, but if one goes wrong you can send it back. The only downside is that they're in China and postage can be a bit expensive.

Steven.

Yeah, you're right. I would much prefer one that doesn't go wrong in the first place, though
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #176 of 200
Quote:

Yep, I thought of that.
D10 would be cooler, if only I could get some way to get an optical output for my laptop..

Anyway, about the D3..
So the main problem is the RF interference caused by the op-amps?
We can change the op-amps though, right?
Can we change/stack the buffer?

I read somewhere that to power low-impedance headphones (such as SR80, MS1) I should stack the buffer as to increase the available current without adding resistance (or was it voltage?)..

The D3 has fixed components that are soldered to the board. Opamps or buffers cannot be changed. The D3 components are a very good choice by iBasso, as soundstage and overall audio quality are really fine. The RF interference has, I believe, been made into more than it should be.

All of my Xin amps had RF interference problems when my cellphone was in close proximity. Moving them away a couple of feet eliminated the problem. If your signal strength on your cellphone is weak, (fewer bars showning) RF will be more of a factor, as your phone will try to communicate with the cell at a higher power level.

A big advantage that the D3 has over many other DAC/Amps is that you can use the DAC without powering on the D3. It is a passthrough DAC that takes all its power from the USB connection.

Battery life is about forever, plus all the charging and regulation circuitry is eliminated.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #177 of 200
The combo is perfect on the D3...dont mess with what is not broken!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D3 has fixed components that are soldered to the board. Opamps or buffers cannot be changed. The D3 components are a very good choice by iBasso, as soundstage and overall audio quality are really fine.

A big advantage that the D3 has over many other DAC/Amps is that you can use the DAC without powering on the D3. It is a passthrough DAC that takes all its power from the USB connection.

Battery life is about forever, plus all the charging and regulation circuitry is eliminated.

The battery life IS awesome...100+ hours on one charge...eneloops are the ish as they hold their charge for almost a year with minimal depletion like other batteries!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back