ibasso D3 Review!
Nov 20, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #46 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would using the ibasso D3 with my ipod touch be ok? Or is it just beside any iphone or phone seem to cause problems (which means bad for commutes). Hearing all this talk about interference problems doesn't make me happy.. I thought I was closing in on a decision..

I've used the D3 with my Itouch with no prob.

Nov 23, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #48 of 200
taken from another forumer in singapore abt the D3

[quote author=hellfire88 link=action=profile;u=12540 date=1227405786]
[quote author=Space Action Hero link=action=profile;u=16369 date=1227388868]
Hi, I've been reading up on the D3 and it seems that many have commented that it is very prone to RF interference from handphones. Your thoughts?
[/quote]

yes it is quite especially in the train, i am still experimenting on the cause of it.

when i had a lousy lod in the past, the RFI was very high in mrt rides.

however now my lod is cryo sliver plated copper. at home, i can confirm my handphone signal is not causing it.

but in the train outside, when i plug in everything but do not play any music, i can hear a lot of RFI, when music is playing, i don really hear any RFI.

but there are random times, i experience RFI dunno from where.

i am still trying to find out more...
[/quote]

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #49 of 200
Sat down again with the amp today "all" afternoon...listening as I type!

Using it as an amp/DAC...flawless.

My favorite was my relistening to the album by
Oliver Nelson "Blues and the Abstract Truth"

just hearing things never heard before...

I attribute that to both the amp and phones (PL750).

I am much happier today than last week. It really is a fine amp and 10:30 is more than enough...I did turn it up a bit with Bruce Springsteen to noon.

I think these amps and phones (all of them) are really made to listen to live music, concerts, classical music, etc.

I suggest if you are a jazz fan, pick up that Nelson.

I have been shopping other amps but think I am quite content right now...

Nov 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #50 of 200
The 750's are great phones. They throw a nice soundstage on well recorded music and are easy to drive.

Nov 30, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #51 of 200
There's a lot of great info in this thread. I've done so much research that it's driving me crazy. I haven't posted often for advice but I thought I'd give it a try. lol! I was considering the Tomahawk & 2Move but then I threw the D3 into the mix (as I've been reading many good things) and I think I've all but eliminated the Tomahawk. I have IEMs (Atrio M5 & Head Direct RE2) to drive as well as the Ultrasone 780. I hadn't read much about the RFI interference until this thread so now I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger on the D3. I do see my inventory changing in the near future, probably fulls headphones rather than IEMs.

I listen mostly to hip hop, r&b and west indian music (reggae, zouk, kompas)

EDIT- I don't really need a DAC. I'll probably be sticking w/Cowon players and I'm thinking about buying a Sony 639f by January at the latest.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #52 of 200
For the RFI, you could try putting the amp in an antistatic bag. There is a known problem with GSM/EDGE phones (like the AT&T network) and audio gear - some call it "GSM Buzz":

iPhone Buzz Kill | Mac|Life
Re: A Solution to the Annoying Intermittent Buzzing in your Speakers Created by your Cell Phone - AT&T/Cingular (HTC) - Wireless Forums from AT&T

If putting the amp in the bag (or wrapped in foil) doesn't stop problem - maybe the amp is not the problem? It could be from the cable of the 'phones themselves or the cable connecting the amp to the DAP.

Dec 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #53 of 200
Well, this is the first I have heard of the RFI problem! I don't have a cell-phone, but I do work around a lot of (possible) RF interference. I work at Cornell university's particle accelerator, and the control room is almost certainly loaded with various EM frequencies. I know that people who own cell phones simply can't get any reception in the control room, and have to go at least 20 feet away to get reception. The problem is probably the pulse forming network in the linear accelerator section, which is only 10 or 15 feet away from the control room: big high voltage power supplies, rapid switching, thyrotrons, etc.

I have a MacBook Pro, and find that the headphone out jack is just simply not good enough for me, even driving something as cooperative as the Sennheiser PX100's. So I want a DAC/AMP combo, with a line-out as well as head-phone out. I have narrowed it down to the Apogee Duet and the iBasso D3, and was just about to pull the trigger on a D3, as I couldn't justify the extra $250+ for the Duet given that I don't plan on doing much (if any) recording.

Then I read this . . .

Darn!

I don't suppose if anyone knows if the Duet is prone to RFI? And I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, or suggestions anyone has. I have Grado SR225's that I want to drive with the Amp. From what I have read, the Duet should handle those phones just fine, if maybe not as well as the iBasso D3.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #54 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by _js_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, this is the first I have heard of the RFI problem! I don't have a cell-phone, but I do work around a lot of (possible) RF interference. I work at Cornell university's particle accelerator, and the control room is almost certainly loaded with various EM frequencies. I know that people who own cell phones simply can't get any reception in the control room, and have to go at least 20 feet away to get reception. The problem is probably the pulse forming network in the linear accelerator section, which is only 10 or 15 feet away from the control room: big high voltage power supplies, rapid switching, thyrotrons, etc.

I have a MacBook Pro, and find that the headphone out jack is just simply not good enough for me, even driving something as cooperative as the Sennheiser PX100's. So I want a DAC/AMP combo, with a line-out as well as head-phone out. I have narrowed it down to the Apogee Duet and the iBasso D3, and was just about to pull the trigger on a D3, as I couldn't justify the extra $250+ for the Duet given that I don't plan on doing much (if any) recording.

Then I read this . . .

Darn!

I don't suppose if anyone knows if the Duet is prone to RFI? And I'd appreciate any thoughts, comments, or suggestions anyone has. I have Grado SR225's that I want to drive with the Amp. From what I have read, the Duet should handle those phones just fine, if maybe not as well as the iBasso D3.

Thanks in advance!

Please forgive my ignorance, but are you around magnetic fields working with a particle accelerator and does anyone know if this affects the headphones performance or SQ?

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #55 of 200
glc,

There are extremely high magnetic fields inside the ring, where the particles travel, yes, but there are also very high energy x-rays there as well! So, if I were inside the ring when the accelerator were running, I would very quickly receive a fatal does of radiation, depending on where I was. No one can be inside when it is running, and there are serious personnel interlocks in place to ensure that that never happens.

However, the electromagnetic waves I am concerned with come from the high voltage power supplies and associated electronics that power the linear accelerator section, as all of that stuff is fairly near the control room. The beam itself is one level down, and there is lots of shielding between the control room and it. But some of the electronics and power supplies are on the same level, and near-by.

I actually talked with one of the other accelerator operators who owns a cell phone, and he told me that he doesn't get reception until he is well away from the building, so I do not think that the lack of reception is due to interference from the HV power supplies and pulse forming network. And, come to think of it . . . I don't actually know what range of frequencies cell phones work at anyway! The main problem with the HV power supplies and pulse forming network is the fast switching on and off of various components, which almost certainly generate a range of EM interference.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I think I've decided to give the D3 a go and just chance it. If I can't use the headphone amp in the control room, so be it. I'll eventually be getting power speakers for that purpose anyway, as that is better than open headphones for enabling me to also hear alarms and alerts, (although open headphones work well enough at letting in outside sound.) So if the problem is only with the amp section, then it's probably a non-issue anyway.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #56 of 200
You could always incase it in mu metal. :^)

Great solid little amp. I am still impressed with the rock solid fee and fine sound.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #57 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always incase it in mu metal. :^)

Great solid little amp. I am still impressed with the rock solid fee and fine sound.

Good to know, jamato8! I've read a lot of your posts over the past couple months, and very much appreciate them. Thanks!

I don't suppose you've had any experience with the Apogee Duet? Specifically with the headphone amp section?

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #58 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by _js_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to know, jamato8! I've read a lot of your posts over the past couple months, and very much appreciate them. Thanks!

I don't suppose you've had any experience with the Apogee Duet? Specifically with the headphone amp section?

Based on my time with Blutarsky's Duet vs my mini-DAC (which are remarkably similar sounding HP out), the Apogee Duet headphone out vs D3 headphone out will likely be on a comparable sound quality level - but Duet will be a little more forward sounding than the D3. The Duet sounds like it was made for Grados, but still does an acceptable job with Denon, Ultrasone and even HD600. It seems to me the D3 sounds almost as good with Grados, is a little better with Denon and Ultrasone, but the Duet and mini-DAC HP out has more power and drive for listening with HD600.

I have NOT compared the DAC line out quality between D3 and Apogees, but the Duet and mini-DAC have fantastic sounding line out, while the D3 line out seems a little underpowered or has less voltage than optimal. When I tried the D3 in my bedside rig in place of the Headroom Micro DAC that I use, I preferred to use the D3 headphone out to drive my bedside amps. At which point the D3 and Micro DAC were on a comparable level.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #59 of 200
Going to spend some more time with the D3 this week...I did notice that the volume knob made a little static noise when adjusting but when you find your location its gone. I have heard from one other person this is not uncommon even on higher end units...anyone else have this issue, or non-issue for that matter.

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #60 of 200
HeadphoneAddict,

Thank you so much for your thoughts on the D3 vs. Duet (or mini-DAC)! This is exactly the sort of experience I was hoping someone could report about! I still don't know which I will end up buying, but it's good to know that the Duet HP out isn't significantly worse than the D3. Plus, I like a more forward-sound, if I have to chose, --or at least I think this is the case from what I can tell so far about my musical/sonic taste. I love my energy 22 speakers, and people say they are forward and precise, IIRC. Anyway, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back