ibasso D3 Review!
Oct 29, 2008 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 200

paulybatz

Headphoneus Supremus
I received my D3 today via DHL...after placing the order on Friday...THAT WAS FAST!

So fast my eneloop AAAs are not even here yet, (http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm) so she has to wait for power...Im too much of an environmentalist to put in alkalines.

Customer service at ibasso was awesome...I queried them about three weeks ago, they were very fast to email and after I decided to order one, they were out of stock and I wanted them to notify me ASAP when they were available. I received an email they were available, requested a paypal invoice, and paid the invoice all in the same day...and two business days later I have the unit. I will post pics tomorrow.

***Just aside...I want to thank all of the friendly head-fiers who were so very open to my noob questions and giving me all of the inside and out information on this new hobby. Special thanks to Jamato8 and HeadphoneAddict for answering a million PMs from me. SACD-Man, who is the man for qables. And User1029, Anouk, and The_X for their help and PMs. Also a shout out to wavoman, Dadozen, and qusp for their PMs and assistance.

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 200
It is amazing how fast it arrives. I got an order once in 2 days. I still find it hard to believe but anyway looking forward to your impressions.

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 200
Got me all excited for the sound aspects........ I'll expect a repentant review when the bats get in!

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 200
The eneloops just shipped today should have them Friday...Happy Halloween!
I just couldnt bring myself to fill the landfill with 5 alkalines
ph34r.gif

It is a very sharp unit...I am very fond of it coming with two cases and like the silver personally.

I am getting to the photos...things are wicked crazy here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got me all excited for the sound a
spects........ I'll expect a repentant review when the bats get in!

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 200
all apologies!
I know some of you are waiting for this review. It's coming!
I got the eneloops as promised, Thomas dist is awesome!
However, having a 14 month old limits my time. Sunday I'll gave time to take pics and get things literally rockin and rollin.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all apologies!
I know some of you are waiting for this review. It's coming!
I got the eneloops as promised, Thomas dist is awesome!
However, having a 14 month old limits my time. Sunday I'll gave time to take pics and get things literally rockin and rollin.

I hope you're at least burning it in while you can't listen/review!

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 200
*NO, So busy, too busy to even put the batteries in it to preburn!
**I have work to do but couldn't resist to get it up and running, I can whistle while I work.
***Thanks again to Ibasso, they are so very nice and prompt with all aspect of the process.
****I have also attached pics for those who are visually stimulated (sorry two are upside down, was holding the phone the wrong way, just stand on your headz).

First impression...it is a sharp unit. Im keeping the silver case on for a while. It came packaged in foam very nicely with everything and more, even a tool for the screws in front of the unit!

Using Qables SilverCab Pro LOD (thanks to the hook up from SACD-MAN www.whiplashaudio.com (custom cables and also the US distributor of Qables)) with Iphone and standard cabled Ultrasone Proline 750 (hoping to get the hook up from someone for some nice cables for them )

It works great…right now I’m listening to Led Zeppelin “How the West was Won” Heartbreaker.

It does exactly what it is supposed to do; drives the bass (not overwhelming) very clean. When I close my eyes definitely like I am there…I like the volume at about 11:15 on the volume

Grateful Dead Europe 72 sounds really nice at about 11:30 on the volume.
Those are live tracks always a bit difficult to get a solid read…but very clean I definitely feel right there, sitting right in front of Jerry and Bob singing in my right ear. Its almost too good, their PA was horrible, LOL!

Lazily, that was all I could get onto the phone (and what I wanted to listen to today).

Needless to say I am very happy with the purchase…I will try out the DAC this week

I can’t imagine it getting better, but I guess the burn in will improve it some…but for the money you cannot go wrong with this little unit.

More feedback to come in the coming weeks! I feel that the unit will get better like a fine wine...listening to AOL radio classical 101 sounds fantastic.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and assistance into this new intrigue of mine!

Thanks to all the headfiers who have replied to my many PM queries on cables, LODs and amps; Im almost there, closely on the tails of listening nirvana!

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #10 of 200
It does get better the longer I listen...instrument separation...really appreciate the bass guitar, nothing gets lost (Grateful Dead).
Never got to go to a live show...this is as close as you can get to reproduction of the experience front and center...literally!

The headphones are so good and tightly closed Im really liking 10:00, 11-12 is nice but fatiguing.

I cannot wait to listen to some hip-hop...push the drivers a little bit.

I prefer the gain switch down (low gain).

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 200
I finally got things running throught the DAC last night and it works nicely (...though made me regret ripping most of my music at 256, which was not bad). But it just shows how good the DAC and Phones are!!!

There is a nice blue light in the rear that lets you know you are connected to the computer and the drivers installed quickly from Windows XP, no discs or downloards required. You do need to install it to all USB ports individually, just do this to start, this way you can connect to any port you wish without going through that process when you simply want to sit down and listen.

*I am working on trying the line out function and the DAC, however before reporting on that I want to get a good mini to RCA cable to run out to my mixer.

**I was talking with SACD-MAN last night and he is getting some insane cryo copper wire right around the holidays, so be sure to wait a little bit before you splurge and contact him about this cable. It is an exclusive Whiplash Audio wire..www.whiplashaudio.com ..definitely contact Craig for the skinny

***If you do decide to buy a D3 from reading my review, please let ibasso know...I promised them because they were so fast and friendly to provide my unbiased opinions (and I am not getting anything for it).

****To be honest I really wanted a... (one of those other popular amp/DAC combos, I looked at all of them)...I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions (thanks everyone here) but honestly I cannot see paying 200+ more and gaining much at all in terms of performance and the D3 has a line out which sealed the deal.

Nov 3, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #14 of 200
I almost forgot...some of the music is mp3s that were transferred from records...and you get everything, the total analog feel, hear the needle.

Just one quality unit and a bargain.

Nov 3, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 200
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulybatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost forgot...some of the music is mp3s that were transferred from records...and you get everything, the total analog feel, hear the needle.

Just one quality unit and a bargain.

Hear the needle?
tongue.gif

You mean all the pops and crackles in their full glory. No thanks.
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back