iBasso D3 - my experience with customer service
Nov 16, 2008 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

kingcrib

New Head-Fier
I recently ordered the iBasso D3 from Guangdong, China. Unfortunately, my unit was DOA, with a fried amplifier section. I notified customer service at iBAsso, and got this letter:

Dear Sir,
I am sorry about the problems.
I think the D3 amp section was damaged by static during shipping. We had the some report before. We have already had a solution for this problem. Your new D3 will be fine, and does not have the some problem.
Please send your D3 package back to the following address.

iBasso service

So, I was pleased about their honesty about the problem, and willingness to replace the unit quickly. However, iBasso has a policy that the user has to pay shipping to send the unit back. This didn't seem fair, since I never even got a functional unit.

Well, I dutifully sent it back and paid the shipping. They are very prompt with replies, and I just received notification that a replacement unit was shipped, and I just got a refund on that shipping cost! So, they were very reasonable, and I will have paid nothing extra for having had a DOA unit shipped. I am a happy customer and would recommend them to anyone. My advice to D3 owner: avoid static electricity. The D3 seems particularly susceptible.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 25
The RF interference and now this static issue may influence my decision to get an iBasso amp if I do decide to get a port. amp...

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #3 of 25
Now, that is what I would call customer service!

I hope you don't need an ESD strap to listen to a D3.
dt880smile.png

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sure, ibasso seem to have a great customer service, but i am sick of ibasso's huge bunch of DOA's that are not QC'ed.

That ESD problem that they uncovered could be the root cause of all those DOAs.

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 25
Currently I own the P3 and the D3, neither has had any problems. Before I had the P2, the D2 Viper which were trouble free.

My first iBasso was the D1. It had an issue w/ the charging, sent it back on iBasso's dime and it was returned working beautifully.

So far I am very pleased w/ iBasso's customer service and sound.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #10 of 25
Sounds like exactly how customer service should be. Great!
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think very few of these were DOA.

Do a poll:

DOA

NO Probs

RF Interference Issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The D3 has a major interference issue that should be know to all...if you plan to use it with an iphone as I did, find another amp...if you are using it for the DAC or with an ipod, etc then you should be OK, but if you are around a lot of cell phones or other RF interference, you will get a headache. I thought it was normal until I read some recent posts and did my own investigation:

iBasso D3 - my experience with customer service

Help! My Ibasso D3 has some problems

I emailed ibasso and they said it was an opamp issue and they were unwilling to rectify the situation...here are two of their replies to me:
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email.
The RF interference problem is because of the opamp. It cant be eliminated except we change the opamp. But these opamps on the D3 has very good sound quality. We are not planningto change them.
We suggest you to keep your cell phone away from the D3, and the D3 can work fine.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email.
I dont think the RF interfernce is a problem on the D3 design. The RF interference is because of the design of the opamp, which is produced by AD. If you consider the D3 has problem on the design. I think AD need to call back many of their chips.
Also, we consider sound quality in the prior position, the D3 has very good sound quality, and we consider it is a very successful design.
If you dont like the D3, you can return it for refund.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Then when I go to send a reply to the first email, my email was blocked by a spam blocker, so I sent another message from my work email to make sure it went through, then the subsequent attempt to respond to their reply was blocked. It is a great sounding amp, dont get me wrong but I am not in a situation to own two amps...I need one that functions for all of my purposes and thought this was it. I feel that ibasso should have made public this issue as it sounds like they were fully aware, so do I lose $$$ and mail it back...

Nov 18, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 25
Personally i think it's pretty self explainatory that an electronic audio device would be prone to RF interference.

Without lots and lots of shielding, it's pretty much assured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back