IBasso d12 vs Leckerton UHA-6S MKII
Sep 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chinook9

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't seen a comparison of these two and I am interested in an upgrade from my iBasso D10.

My listening tastes are that I like to hear all the detail and I listen primarily to rock with Pink Floyd The Wall being what I listen to the most.  I will be inputting a (flac) USB digital audio signal from my Samsung S3 most of the time. The IEMs are likely to vary but I like the detail from my triplefi 10s which are presently being customized.

Any helpful information would be appreciated.

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 9
I will be getting my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII on Thursday and will be pairing it with the S3 and Heir Audio 4.Ai. I can post my impressions, if you look at my profile I pretty much have the same post out there. After reading the reviews on Innerfidelity I had to go with the Leckerton. Were you ever able to figure out how to bypass the DAC on the S3?? Would love to do that!!

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I will be getting my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII on Thursday and will be pairing it with the S3 and Heir Audio 4.Ai. I can post my impressions, if you like at my profile I pretty much have the same post out there. After reading the reviews on Innerfidelity I had to go with the Leckerton. Were you ever able to figure out how to bypass the DAC on the S3?? Would love to do that!!

I was able to get the digital audio out of the S3 very easily.  I got an OTG cable (Micro-B to Type A) that when inserted into the S3 puts it in host mode. It will then output the digital signal through the USB port without me doing anything.  I then use a Type A to Mini-B connector plugged into my iBasso D10.  The cable connection is a little messy but right now I don't know of any Micro-B to Mini-B OTG cable that has been shown to work.  I expect this will happen in time. 

There may be Micro-B to Mini-B connectors out there but, in order for it to put the S3 into host mode, a couple of the pins on the Micro-B most be shorted out.  There is a video on YouTube you can see on this if you're interested.

The two connectors I use are available from Monoprice (9724 and 5446) for around $5 including shipping.  Please give us a report on the Leckerton. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Ok so I have been giving the Leckerton about 5 or so hours of burn in. WOW!! I am using Vox player on my mac, playing FLAC files, and the Heir Audio 4.Ai. The soundstage immediately opened up, bass tightened, everything just seems so right! My first reaction was the soundstage growing immensely and it just seemed to lift the curtain and shine!! I will have a detailed review coming up shortly just wanted to give you my first short impression. I don't know how the D12 is compared since I have never listened to it, but from what I can hear now, who cares about the D12?! Haha good luck man I hope this helps, would love to hear your impressions about the Leckerton in the near future!!!

**With AD8610

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Ok so I have been giving the Leckerton about 5 or so hours of burn in. WOW!! I am using Vox player on my mac, playing FLAC files, and the Heir Audio 4.Ai. The soundstage immediately opened up, bass tightened, everything just seems so right! My first reaction was the soundstage growing immensely and it just seemed to lift the curtain and shine!! I will have a detailed review coming up shortly just wanted to give you my first short impression. I don't know how the D12 is compared since I have never listened to it, but from what I can hear now, who cares about the D12?! Haha good luck man I hope this helps, would love to hear your impressions about the Leckerton in the near future!!!

**With AD8610

Thanks for the report.  I'm still trying to decide if I want to go ahead and get a Leckerton also.  I'll be going down to Austin in a couple of weeks so I may just wait and see if Leckerton has a showroom or some place down there where I can check them out.  Thanks again.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Just wanted to bump this and see if anyone has had a chance to compare these amps.  I too will be coming from a D10.

Jan 26, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 9
I can only add that the D12 now comes with an OTG cable to get a digital out from your android (>4.0) phone. For the rest I can only add that I love my D12 but it's my first DAC and I only have it since a few days so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 9
After quite a bit of study, I decided against both the D12 and Leckerton. I ended up getting a Sunrise Project II tube headphone amp. I initially used the DAC from my D10 with it and recently replaced that with a Musical Fidelity V-DAC. The V-DAC is not a great improvement but the Sunrise II is phenomenal. It is more than I could have hoped for in an amp. At $244 built, or $199 in kit form this tube headamp is one of the best buys in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back