iBasso CF01 (Cable Free), BT MMCX adapter for any MMCX IEM.
Oct 31, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #136 of 209
Honest Opinion, the CF01 to my ears is on the bright side when is connected to my Solaris 2020 instead of the neutral sound that most reviewers wrote.

Good thing about it is the Bluetooth which is more stable and have more range comparing the AirPod Pro.

The weird thing is I am not able to get the TWS+ mode to work so I am only able to connect to the CF01R. Maybe it’s the phone Qualcomm chip being outdated (iPhone X).

I have not tried other manufactures Bluetooth adapter like the Fiio or the Shure so couldn’t comment much whether is it a superior product or not.

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #137 of 209
Does anyone know if the CF01 connects to the Z1R? If so, can it drive it loud enough?
Thanks!

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #138 of 209
The weird thing is I am not able to get the TWS+ mode to work so I am only able to connect to the CF01R. Maybe it’s the phone Qualcomm chip being outdated (iPhone X).

TWS+ is an exclusive feature available only to certain higher end Qualcomm SoC (*processor), so all iPhone models are out of question as Apple uses its own SoC.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #139 of 209
I have a quick question here, I am interested in the CF01 mostly for exercising. I sweat a lot, and for this I understand the CF01 has that covered. But how about the IT01, which I plan to pair the CF01 with? Will the IT01 have any problem with sweat?

I am quite concern here, as I have already damaged a pair of Sony WF1000 XM3, which, of course, is not sweat proof.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #140 of 209
I have a quick question here, I am interested in the CF01 mostly for exercising. I sweat a lot, and for this I understand the CF01 has that covered. But how about the IT01, which I plan to pair the CF01 with? Will the IT01 have any problem with sweat?

I am quite concern here, as I have already damaged a pair of Sony WF1000 XM3, which, of course, is not sweat proof.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have the IT01, but in general BA type drivers tend to do poorer with sweat than dynamic drivers in my experience.
Personally, I do use the CF01 for exercising, but I use cheaper CHIFI with it, so even if it dies, no biggie. YMMV.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #141 of 209
I am a bit disappointed with the CF01 with the main issue being the design.

1. Button placement is terrible being at the top. Fiio/TRN with the button on the side is infinitely better and easier to press.

2. Cord length is way to short and makes using while exercising a nightmare. The unit sits high and makes the unit bounce around when jogging causing worse microphonics than a cable (negating the no. 1 drawcard for a product like this). This issue could be exacerbated by the body design being quite round and wide where it doesn't nestle behind the ear securely.

i also bought the TRN bt20s pro and the fit of the unit and being stable is 100x better. Unfortunately the mmcx connector broke on first use so there is terrible QC issues here as well.

other minor gripes:

the bass seems to be attenuated quite a bit when compared to cable use. This might be limitation of bt codec but wasnt present with fiio BTR5 ldac device.

The beeps and "power on" prompts are very loud and I assume this is because these sounds have a default volume level. I found overall the volume I needed was always in the bottom half of its potential. The other issue was volume increments were quite steep steps.

I wouldnt be too concerned with minor issues if the design flaws werent such an issue for me as I was planning to use somewhat bassy IEMs to pair with it and for activites where I would not be critically listening.

Nov 16, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #142 of 209
the bass seems to be attenuated quite a bit when compared to cable use. This might be limitation of bt codec but wasnt present with fiio BTR5 ldac device.

I can 100% confirm this and it was the reason that prevented me from buying the device. I have also compared directly to the BTR5 - and the BTR5 is already more bass shy than my XDSD or R2R2000 in BT mode. Don`t think it`s the codec but the tuning of the device. This is why I find it really a pity that there is no app with EQ (I asked iBasso and it is not planned either).

Though, me, I am a big fan of the CF01`s design. Might depend on the size of one`s ears maybe? I have very small ears and it stayed perfectly close to my ears, even when moving my head quite strongly...

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #143 of 209
I can 100% confirm this and it was the reason that prevented me from buying the device. I have also compared directly to the BTR5 - and the BTR5 is already more bass shy than my XDSD or R2R2000 in BT mode. Don`t think it`s the codec but the tuning of the device. This is why I find it really a pity that there is no app with EQ (I asked iBasso and it is not planned either).

Though, me, I am a big fan of the CF01`s design. Might depend on the size of one`s ears maybe? I have very small ears and it stayed perfectly close to my ears, even when moving my head quite strongly...
I have owned the CF01 since they first came out. They sound way way better than any other BT earbuds I own including the Senn. Gen 1, the Sony XM3s, and the Nuarl 6 pros. I have no problem with the form factor. I don’t use the buttons because I find it much faster to just pull my phone from my back pocket. I am using them with the the ibasso it04s. I know that this is an expensive set of IEMs, but I already owned the it04s.

Nov 16, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #144 of 209
I have owned the CF01 since they first came out. They sound way way better than any other BT earbuds I own including the Senn. Gen 1, the Sony XM3s, and the Nuarl 6 pros. I have no problem with the form factor. I don’t use the buttons because I find it much faster to just pull my phone from my back pocket. I am using them with the the ibasso it04s. I know that this is an expensive set of IEMs, but I already owned the it04s.
I use the CF01 mostly with the IT04. Very good sound, no issues with bass and frankly, I am surprised at how good the combination is. The BT is better than what I thought it would be. Also, no issue with cable length, longer or shorter would be an issue.

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #145 of 209
I use the CF01 mostly with the IT04. Very good sound, no issues with bass and frankly, I am surprised at how good the combination is. The BT is better than what I thought it would be. Also, no issue with cable length, longer or shorter would be an issue.

Hi! Great you enjoy the CF01! :) With my post, I did not want to say the SQ of the CF01 is bad, not at all! Actually it is very good for what it is and I think with good IEMs far better than any stand alone TWS earphone!
But like with everything in the audio world, things are „relative to“. And I am quite confident to say that „relative to“ other BT solutions (did you compare side by side?) to me bass tuning definitely is on the lighter side (doesn’t mean there are „problems with the bass). Some might actually prefer this and call it „more neutral“ (if this term exists at all), but me personally, I prefer a bit more punch as with the BTR5, for example. This is why I think, as stated, it is a pity that iBasso does not offer an app to customize the sound a little. Also it would be great to have an ambient mode. I am still tempted to earlier or later get a TWS solution like the CF01, because I really like the form factor. Haven’t found the right solution for me yet, though, because they all have pros and cons...

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #146 of 209
I bought the CF01 for use with the IT04s but this combination was painful for me. Without the CF01 I have no comfort issue with the IT04. So I bought rather other earphones for the CF01 and I am finally happy.

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #147 of 209

Maybe I just had too much bounce in my step (at least prior to noticing these issues). I do find it weird that the issue doesnt exist with the Fiio/TRN products I have given their design and shape is so similar.

This could be a case of fool me once, fool me twice, but I am now waiting for the ibasso IT00 to see if this shape/angle and position of mmxc connection makes it sit nicely.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #148 of 209
ok, just to round out my thoughts and progress with the ibasso CF01:

I bought the ibasso IT00 to pair with it in the hopes of a better fit and to my surprise they actually are better! not perfect, but now useable for running and active gym work without bouncing too much and causing microphonics. I think the difference is in those precious few mm's gained by having the bigger shell of the IT00 and the angle of the MMCX connector compared the shure, westone, UE (jellybean shape) type iem's.

Overall I will now be able to enjoy this product. I know I listed my gripes with them in this thread but as I said, these were minor issues for my use. I just wanted to list them as these may be a concern for others.

The only other thing i noticed when i was using them was that sometimes when I went to press the button to pause, it would power off and i would have to mess about with the BT connection. I was moving around quite a bit hitting a boxing bag so I'm not sure if sweat played a part here. It did happen 3 times within half an hour and was a pain to go back to my phone 3 metres away to reconnect.

In terms of sound the bass is still significantly rolled off and the CF01 seems to mess with the sound signature a little. the IT00 seems to be affected less by this and it may be that DD drivers are better paired with this device than BA drivers.

YMMV as daRK mentioned:
I bought the CF01 for use with the IT04s but this combination was painful for me
... which would appear to be in contrast to my experience (assuming IT00 and IT04 have similar physical design).

Nov 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #149 of 209
YMMV as daRK mentioned:

... which would appear to be in contrast to my experience (assuming IT00 and IT04 have similar physical design).
Not even close. They are just different, the IT04 is shaped similarly to CIEM, not to the IT00. I would say the IT00 are very similar to the IT01s. And I had no comfort issue wearing the combo IT01s+CF01.
Enjoy your CF01 with the IT00, reviews say this is a very good symbiosis.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #150 of 209
I an ready to give up on pairing. Now, the left unit wont pair at all. I have gone through the instruction’s pairing steps multiple times. R pairs fine. L to R = zero. Tried every reset, etc. Inspected the connectors with magnifying loop. Should work—doesn’t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back