IBasso Audio IT03
Sep 25, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #196 of 3,344
Since my name has been mentioned a few times in this thread already (a blessing or a curse?
evil_smiley.gif
), without retyping, here is copy'n'paste of what I posted in Andromeda thread since there was a number of people who asked me about the comparison with IT03.  And, 150hrs burn in is a necessity!!!

I hate hijacking a thread talking about another IEM, and also don't want to add to any new hype, though it could be too late in case of IT03 
biggrin.gif
  I describe the sound how I hear it and how it compares to other IEMs, then let you guys/gals make a decision if it's your cup of tea.

But relevant to Andromeda thread, I find a lot of similarities between these two.  Both have a rather holographic soundstage expansion.  IT03 does require at least 100hrs of burn in for the bass to settle in (due to the dynamic driver), out of the box it's quantity is overwhelming.  Afterwards, I found IT03 to have a little more sub-bass quantity while the extension is similar, including a similar mid-bass punch.  Andromeda has a little more body in lower mids as well as upper mids being more organic and smoother and a touch more upfront.  In comparison, IT03 upper mids are a little brighter and more revealing, closer to analytical quality without being harsh or grainy.  Treble in both is very similar, crisp, well defined, nicely extended, though I do find IT03 to have more airiness.  People who are not used to a hefty sub-bass will find IT03 a bit overwhelming because the quantity of sub-bass is almost on the same level as mid-bass, while Andromeda and other IEMs (like S-EM9 I'm also starting to review now) have a similarly extended sub-bass but the quantity is a little lower in comparison.

Who said it's better?
wink.gif
  They are different enough, as I said, for those who are sensitive to more analytical brighter frequencies (IT03 has a few peaks to accentuate the edge of the sound) or who don't like sub-bass - they will prefer a smoother and more organic Andromeda.  But for others who prefer a more analytical sound with a better layering and separation of instruments AND a surprisingly powerful bass slam - they will go for IT03.

Price is no longer an indicator of flagship.  The same way as someone might prefer $260 3way hybrid over $1k 5BA, there are plenty who prefer $1k 5BA over $1.5k-$2k other multi-BA flagships.  And to be honest, there is no right or wrong answer since we all have different sound preference and perception.

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #198 of 3,344
Can someone compare how big the size of the iem is? It looks pretty big from pictures. I'm trying to figure out what the sound signature would be. Is it anywhere close to the SE846?

Sep 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #199 of 3,344
  Can someone compare how big the size of the iem is? It looks pretty big from pictures. I'm trying to figure out what the sound signature would be. Is it anywhere close to the SE846?

Not that big:

What I call a Custom Universal design, kind of like InEars StageDivers.

I had SE846 for a very brief period last year, so hard to go by memory.  But remember those had a great bass impact, though I think IT03 sub-bass goes deeper and with more quantity.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #200 of 3,344
Ordered!

Looks by the shell design that isolation is quite good. And thank goodness the color is something sensible..... Sure looks the business.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #201 of 3,344
  Ordered!

Looks by the shell design that isolation is quite good. And thank goodness the color is something sensible..... Sure looks the business.

Indeed, great isolation with a proper eartip selection, and a very comfortable fit.

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #206 of 3,344
The cable is high purity OFC not silver plated copper and we worked a long time with a manufacture to get the cable right. The cable is not off the shelf. It takes a while to burn in as does the bass driver so please give the IT03 time but out of the box it is enjoyable to listen to.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #208 of 3,344
You find the stock cable too bright? I am considering grabbing something copper like audio123 suggested.
a copper cable will balance it out and make it full sounding. TOTL performance without a doubt

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #209 of 3,344
The cable is high purity OFC not silver plated copper and we worked a long time with a manufacture to get the cable right. The cable is not off the shelf. It takes a while to burn in as does the bass driver so please give the IT03 time but out of the box it is enjoyable to listen to.
So a lot of thought was put on the choice of cable because a cable can change the over all sound of the iem ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back