iAudio X5
Jun 8, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
This is key. My H140 boots in 15 seconds using file tree mode with 4250 songs loaded. Not too shabby.

My Karma would boot in 5-7 seconds with 1000+ songs loaded in database. iRiver's boot times really suck ass.

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakets
Mine is the 20gb and is loaded with 3500 songs, i have about 4GB left. The normal startup time is about 7-9 seconds, thats not too bad at all.
orphsmile.gif

Why does it say in your sig that you have the 30 GB one?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
Thanks for the info on the X5. Maybe I lied a bit...I just actually timed it and it took just over a minute and a half..which is still terrible. It's like I have to anticipate when I want to listen to my player and start up up a couple minutes ahead of time. Thinking of selling my player and buying an X5...how much do you think I could get for an H340 in near mint condition (the screen protector film that was on the unit when I opened the box is even still on the screen)? Can you think of any features I'd be losing by switiching players? Thanks.

Well, you would be losing a better screen. The iRiver H3xx has a resolution of 176x220, while the X5 only 128x160 pixels. And with the iRiver you don't have to carry that mini-dock to connect line-in, line-out or the USBOTG device (if you have the international one).

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
Why does it say in your sig that you have the 30 GB one?
confused.gif

Opps lol, i didnt change that, i originally bought the 30GB but it was out of stock and i didnt want to wait, so i canceled it and ordered the 20GB
orphsmile.gif

*changing it now*

Jun 8, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack963
Well after deciding not to wait for the X5 to come out this year, I got an iRiver H340 back in January. Now I am regretting that decision after seeing the X5. Anyways, I was wondering what the start up time is like on this player. My H340 literally takes 3 minutes to start up, which I consider top be unacceptable when I see other players (including my old Karma) starting up in less than 10 seconds. So can anybody tell me how long it takes to start up? Thanks.

It takes 26 seconds for my iRiver H320 to start up, which is not too bad. Although it is full, I must say I have some movies there too, not just mp3's. But 7 seconds on the X5 .... wow
blink.gif

Jun 8, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thisp
My Karma would boot in 5-7 seconds with 1000+ songs loaded in database. iRiver's boot times really suck ass.

My iriver has 4 times the songs as your karma, but boots only a little over 2 times as slow. What's so bad about that? My Archos unit boots within 15 seconds also with the same set of songs, so I do not find 15 seconds unreasonable.

Jun 8, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
My iriver has 4 times the songs as your karma, but boots only a little over 2 times as slow. What's so bad about that? My Archos unit boots within 15 seconds also with the same set of songs, so I do not find 15 seconds unreasonable.

Several things.

a) The iRivers are newer. Thus, I'd expect faster components and faster load times.

b) The iRivers are more expensive. Thus, I'd expect faster components and faster load times.

c) The fact that the Karma has a database should perhaps double the load time over an iRiver with database disabled, yet it still loads slower than a databased player.

d) Hitachi drives are trash, so I'd expect them to load slower than that of the competetion.

Quote:

Well, you would be losing a better screen. The iRiver H3xx has a resolution of 176x220, while the X5 only 128x160 pixels.

At 10 FPS on a 2" screen, does it make a difference if the resolution is lower when watching movies? That's like choosing between a 13" TV/VCR combo vs an 8" pocket TV for a home theater.

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 30
jakets, how is watching video on that thing? what file formats does it support? i have quite a collection of TV re-runs, but that screen looks painfully small. also, how much does the battery life drop by when youre watching video?

Jun 10, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 30
how is the interface? easy to use? plenty of options?

Nov 19, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #26 of 30
my iRiver loads up WITH "db scan" ON in 20 seconds
right now I have about 2500 songs in 21GB

I don't mind it at all
I actually went to the store to decide between the H340 and the X5L
and decided on the iRiver as it feels much more solid in my hand
and I really disliked the adpter thing

I'm very happy with my choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrasher
It takes 26 seconds for my iRiver H320 to start up, which is not too bad. Although it is full, I must say I have some movies there too, not just mp3's. But 7 seconds on the X5 .... wow
blink.gif

My H120 takes 15 seconds (with about 1500 songs). Have you guys tried to convert all your ID3 tags to v2, instead of mixing v1 & v2? I'd swear it helps a bit, though now I can't find the thread where a read this tip.

Nov 19, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #29 of 30
My x5L 30 took 11 seconds to load with 23 gb of stuff , now I leave it on and forget that its on (as usual ) and tomorrow when I wake up I still have 20 hrs of playtime.....Aint that amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back