iAudio X5 + which Grado?
Mar 23, 2006 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

venturer123

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
need some advice. Been running an X5 (Mainly FLACs + high Bitrate MP3s) with Grado SR-60s for some time. I LOVE the Grado sound. Looking to upgrade to the best Grado I can afford.

I'm guessing RS-1s are going to be complete overkill? Thinking 325i may be the way to go? Again, too much for an (un-amped) portable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (Too bright/225s? etc) as auditioning is a problem.

Music is mainly Rock/Indie/Alternative/etc. and like I say, the Grado sound is lush.

(Also any further update on the new Grado "street-wear" phones?).

Mar 23, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 10
Grado 225s are what I own. I use an X5 as well and the two go together well. The 225s are a good representation of the Grado sound without spending the big bucks on the RS series. Although the RS-1/2 are sweet if you have the change for them.

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 10
x5_gal1_pic.jpg

rs1smile.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 10
Austonia, they look NICE!
tongue.gif

Has the jack-end of the cable on the Grado's been modded? Is it possible to (cut) shorten the cable and get a mini-jack on the end for better portability with a DAP, (or is this messing around with an expensive set of cans)?

Also anyone had experience with the 325i's and the X5? Basically I'm thinking it's gonna be either the 325i's or 'wave goodbye to my wallet' and go with the RS-1s. Either way I would need an 1/4 to 1/8 inch jack adaptor right?

Also seems ages since John Grado talked about the portable 'streetwear' Grados, but haven't heard much on that recently.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by venturer123
Either way I would need an 1/4 to 1/8 inch jack adaptor right?

Word. Grado makes a nice one, its about 8inches long so it wont strain the jack, like the regular 'ratshack' adapters do. Oh its about $15 + shipping.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

tongue.gif

Has the jack-end of the cable on the Grado's been modded? Is it possible to (cut) shorten the cable and get a mini-jack on the end for better portability with a DAP, (or is this messing around with an expensive set of cans)?

Also anyone had experience with the 325i's and the X5? Basically I'm thinking it's gonna be either the 325i's or 'wave goodbye to my wallet' and go with the RS-1s. Either way I would need an 1/4 to 1/8 inch jack adaptor right?

Also seems ages since John Grado talked about the portable 'streetwear' Grados, but haven't heard much on that recently.

those are modified SR325's, with custom cable and woodies by larry at headphile.com...

...and btw, the low-end grados (SR40) were quite awful.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

tongue.gif

in my opinion, i dont think the 325i with the X5 would be a pleasant combo, the X5 is quite a steely player in terms of sound quality and can emphasize treble a bit too much sometimes, i had this problem with my previous X5 + E4 pairing, quite sharp highs that were not too my liking, YMMV

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Word. Grado makes a nice one, its about 8inches long so it wont strain the jack, like the regular 'ratshack' adapters do. Oh its about $15 + shipping.

The Sennheiser one that comes with the HD650 is actually better. It is lighter and more flexible.

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #10 of 10
here's another vote for an x5 paired w/ a 225. especially since you mainly listen to rock type music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back