I would like to welcome Ryan (recstar24) to the Meridian G08 club..
Mar 29, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 14
Ahhh, haven't really had time to get back to you oh billy, but just wanted to say thanks for the "invite"
biggrin.gif

All I can say is this - I am having a hell of time trying to focus or concentrate on anything when I sit down to listen to my G08. Even as I type this, sometimes I find myself just stopping, too awestruck and emotionally impacted by what is coming out of my G08. At least a couple of times already I have stopped to look at my G08 and make sure that its not a VPI Scout or something.
biggrin.gif
The highs are the closest thing coming from a CD player that comes close to vinyl.

Everytime a new component comes into my system, usually I am able to pick apart various attributes that I like, areas that seem to be lacking, so on and so forth. Those thoughts simply don't happen with the G08. The gestalt of the music is simply there, nothing specific calls overt attention to itself, I find myself melting into the beautiful sounds that emanate from the G08 with ease. It is the most natural, coherent, musically satisfying piece of gear that has ever graced my ears. It would be an exercise in futility to even try and attempt to describe why the Meridian impacts me so deeply. The biggest compliment I can give to the G08 is that only music is allowed to come forth from its grasp while eliciting one of the deepest and most impactful emotional responses I have ever felt in a long time from a piece of gear.

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
is it really that much better than the G07?

The Meridian G07 was a great player to say the least and definitely earned to have the Meridian name stamped on it; however, the G08 IMHO is something special. There is a quite noticeable difference between the two, most likely in due part to the G08 upsampling (which I must add is simply fantastic and is the best implementation of upsampling I have heard of the cdp's that employ upsampling).

I would have been happy with the G07 for the rest of my life and the lucky user who received it will receive the same joy I had when I first got it; however, the G08 is a step closer to high-end, and with it comes a feeling of being closer to the emotional and visceral impact that our music has to offer.

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 14
Ryan I hate you
biggrin.gif
The way you discribe headphone gear makes me want it!

After just purching two high end bikes a bike rack and all the gear the only thing my wife will let me have, is my new 2006 Total Bithead
biggrin.gif
Which surprizing too me. I am enjoying alot. When typing or reading on the computer, I don't concentrate "as much" on the quality of the music as when listening to my main rig.

Anyway enjoy the GO8 Ryan And when you up grade the from the GO8
confused.gif
(Where then?) I want first refusal on the Meridian
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 14
Can anyone tell me how a G08 compares to the 588? I love my 588, but it's getting a bit older, and I'm wondering if a G08 would make me even happier..

Is it just the dreaded upgrade bug biting?? Should I forget it and buy more music, or would the difference be enough to make me even happier?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!!

Mar 29, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jayB
Can anyone tell me how a G08 compares to the 588? I love my 588, but it's getting a bit older, and I'm wondering if a G08 would make me even happier..

Is it just the dreaded upgrade bug biting?? Should I forget it and buy more music, or would the difference be enough to make me even happier?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated!!

You should do a search at audioasylum and audiogon - there are a couple of user comments that were exactly in your situation. Ultimately, they went with the G08
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Now I'm REALLY worried about what is going to happen when Todd's loaner makes it's way to my domicile. Maybe I should dig a very deep hole and bury my wallet now, before it digs an even deeper hole for me!
tongue.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 14
One day I will join this club!
smily_headphones1.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back