I want to upgrade DAC
Aug 6, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 20
I have 2 DAC's I really like:
Topping E30
Topping D90

The E30 is your basic, yet very well made and great sounding, DAC. The D90 is Topping's newest DAC that can run both balanced and RCA outputs at the same time if needed. It looks really nice, sounds great, and is receiving awesome reviews. Since you're looking for something as an upgrade I would go with the D90. It will be an excellent addition to your setup. You can run the balanced outputs to your SP200 via XLR patch cables too which will be an improvement over your Mojo.

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 20
My dac is Chord mojo.
I want better dac.
Budget is up to $1000
Could you recommend?

How should it be better than the one you have now? More features? Better sound? Anything specific?

What kind of sound signature do you prefer?

Portable? Desktop?

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 20
Changing a DAC is not really the best way to get better sound. A DAC is designed to be neutral and get out of the way. There are some differences between amps. Such differences are found in tube amps and current output amps that have output impedance and harmonic distortion issues. This is just coloring the sound and not reproducing it well.

If you want a different sound signature the best place to start is new music. We can suggest places to start which may help. If that is not your cup of tea then a new headphone is in order. Headphones are specifically designed to have sound signatures.

I can almost guarantee that changing to a new DAC is not going to provide the sound change you're after. My suggestions are based on what I prefer in quality gear and measurement and both do better than the Mojo in that regard, but if you're after a big sound improvement a new DAC or amp for that matter is not going to get ya there sadly.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 20
I don't know the Arya headphones but the Chord Mojo is pretty good on detail. I wonder if the SP200 is just too sterile and makes the music feel boring somehow.

Have you tried the headphones directly out of the Chord? @Rob Watts has said that the best sound with the Mojo is when you use the built in amplifier and don't use an external amplifier. Given the Arya is not very sensitive I'm not sure how well the Mojo could drive it, but maybe it would help if you compared the sound from the Mojo to the sound out of your SP200. If there is a big difference and you can describe it, maybe we can understand better.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 20
Used Hugo 2 if you can find one for 1k.

Aug 9, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 20
I don't know the Arya headphones but the Chord Mojo is pretty good on detail. I wonder if the SP200 is just too sterile and makes the music feel boring somehow.

Have you tried the headphones directly out of the Chord? @Rob Watts has said that the best sound with the Mojo is when you use the built in amplifier and don't use an external amplifier. Given the Arya is not very sensitive I'm not sure how well the Mojo could drive it, but maybe it would help if you compared the sound from the Mojo to the sound out of your SP200. If there is a big difference and you can describe it, maybe we can understand better.
The sp200 is not boring or sterile, it is the exact opposite.

Aug 9, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 20
The sp200 is not boring or sterile, it is the exact opposite.

Yeah but as far as I remember you have some pretty warm headphones. I guess there are some cans where THX amps would not be the best pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back