I want to try Grados, but I need bass.
Jul 21, 2007 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to try some Grados soon, but I need to know what will get me the most bass. I am fully expecting less bass than my HD 25SP's but I want to give up as little as possible. My choices are the SR 60, SR 80, SR 125, or the MS1's combined with any pads. Suggestions for mods are also appreciated.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 30
SR-80 should be the way to go. If you need more bass, you can do the tape mod, which involves sticking tape around the outside of the bowl pads. I tried this on my MS-1 using electrical tape, which came out looking neat & tidy. I didn't care for the results, though, as the bass ended up covering everything else.

Jul 21, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 30
Grado + flat-pads, or do a tape-mod to original bowls if you want to keep as much of the bowl-pad sound as possible. Flats alter the sound to completely different.

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 30
I'm guessing SR-80 + flat pads would make for pretty ridiculous amounts of bass? So my best solution while still having a phone that actually sounds like a Grado would be SR-80 and taped bowls?

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 30
you may want to amp the sr-80 with an ibasso
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #7 of 30
I have read that the Grado PS-1 have great bass.
Check it out!
rs1smile.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #8 of 30
SR-80 with an iBasso T2 or Practical Devices XM4, both of them come with bass boost.

there isnt a sound that the SR-80 is incapable of producing imho.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 30
anyone tried VWAP pads, they look like flat pads adds more bass and comfortable

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 30
actually nevermind, if you need an amp to do something to your headphones to make them sound the way youd like them too, you chose the wrong headphones.

if you are even the LEAST bit skeptical of Grado bass, im almost certain that its not for you.

despite what people say i LOVED listening to electronic music and trance on my grado SR-60s before i sold them to somebody.

Jul 21, 2007 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 30
people will say it time and time again, AKG K81DJ.

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually nevermind, if you need an amp to do something to your headphones to make them sound the way youd like them too, you chose the wrong headphones.

if you are even the LEAST bit skeptical of Grado bass, im almost certain that its not for you.

despite what people say i LOVED listening to electronic music and trance on my grado SR-60s before i sold them to somebody.

I have to agree about trance and electronic music. The open airy passages are something grados really excel at. I think the album zen and chilling really sounds great with grados.

I don't know how much bass you may want but the 80's are not lacking in the bass department.

Jul 21, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing SR-80 + flat pads would make for pretty ridiculous amounts of bass? So my best solution while still having a phone that actually sounds like a Grado would be SR-80 and taped bowls?

Personally (I like bass myself) the sr80 with bowls was quite shrill sounding. I couldn't get the bowl tape mod to work. So flats are a must if you decide on a grado, but I think maybe you should be looking at other brands. What type of music do you like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back